cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late Payments

tag
middleaged

Late Payments

Unless, a miracle occurs before 3 p.m. today, I will have my first late credit payments in 20 years -- AMEX and Home Depot.  How bad will this hurt me?  My score was just over 700 last time I checked it.   I am at my limit for AMEX, but Home Depot am under 50% usage.  Can I do anything? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Re: Late Payments

When you say you will have your first late payments, do you mean the statement due date was 30 days ago today?

If your bill is due today by 3:00pm then don't fret too much.  Of course this is bad, you will pay late penalties and may get hit with a rediculous APR, but it will not affect your credit report until it is 30 days late.

If it will be 30 days late today, then I have no clue, but I would guess 30 - 50 points initially, gradually fading with time.  On a report with 0 lates, the first lates will be a pretty severe impact, I believe.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
middleaged

Thank you for your comments.    Payments are due today.   Will they report as late?

Message 3 of 8
middleaged

Statement due date is today.

Message 4 of 8
elaine829
Frequent Contributor

If its not 30 days late it wont be on  credit report, if payment is just late you will just get a late fee and maybe a interest rate jack.

Message 5 of 8
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Is AMEX a credit or charge card?

Message 6 of 8
DI
Super Contributor

If you get charged a late fee by AMEX and Home Depot, ask to have the fee waived as a one time courtesy.   You can call or send AMEX an email.  I'm not sure about HD.

Message 7 of 8
middleaged

It is a credit card.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.