Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late payment ..Close call ..

tag
blessed-man1980
Contributor

Late payment ..Close call ..

My credit bank card has a blalance of  8$ that was due on the 19 . It was the AF . I totally forgot about it since I don't use the card ..I logged  in 4/27/15  and I'm past due (I was so angery )  . I read the statment and it says 

YOUR ACCOUNT IS PAST DUE. IT IS NOT TOO LATE TO
PROTECT YOUR CREDIT RATING! PLEASE PAY THE
MINIMUM AMOUNT DUE NOW OR CALL (888) 729-6274.

I felt a little better ..

so Basically I made the payment late on 4/27/2014 but according to the statment my score won't be affected . I called and I was told not to worry about it since I made the payment  and I'm not 30 days late . That 8$ ended up costing me 35$  in totall with all the fees ..I'm still worried even after calling three times ..I know all of you will tell me to clsoe this card .. I will in 2 months ..

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
onstar
Established Contributor

Re: Late payment ..Close call ..

Generally, you can cancel the card within 30 days of the AF posting and not have to pay the AF.

You should have called and threatened to cancel. Maybe they'll waive the AF.

Or maybe they'll waive the late payment fee.

Or .... wait, if you're gonna end up canceling in 2 months anyway, you should just cancel now and not pay AF.

Call them back!!!!!!!

Smiley Happy

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, cancel.  It will not affect your credit unless it's 30 days past due or it goes into the next statement.  But I'm sure they keep a record of anything past the due date!

Message 3 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

A late payment won't be reported as late on CR's under 30 days so you're good there 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 11
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I used to be the type of person to chime In about setting up auto pay and such but I recently experienced this on a US Bank Business card. While they waived the fees, they assigned me the penalty APR (28.9%) and advised it reports to business CR after 15 days. It was such a stupid mistake, and like you was about a $15 balance. So hopefully I can get a goodwill from them to remove it from my Business reports. Man I thought the days of writing goodwill letters were long gone.

It looks like you caught it in time though.
Message 5 of 11
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Woo nice!  Its always a great surprise when something GOOD happens instead of what you were expecting!

My BofA checking got overdrawn (Heh, I forget I have autopayments) and I ended up getting an email that said I have 5 days to make my account current before I have any fees accessed.  

Message 6 of 11
blessed-man1980
Contributor

Thank you guys . I googled late payment and I'm getting mixed answer . Some people say even if you are late under 30 days you can be reported as late . .I'm leaving my account open to see how they will report for Arpil..The CSR assuered me that they won't report me late  . Thats my hope  . With all these assurance I'm still mad at myself for frogetting to be on top of that account . i HAVE 17 CC / auto loan  opens and many of them with low balance . I use mint and I even forgot to add credit one to my mint . 

Message 7 of 11
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Im fairly sure that 30 day grace period is the 30 days you have to pay it back and 1 day late after due date is past 30 days late.  I dont know that for sure, but I do know if you are even 1 day late on a payment, ive seen it pop up as a 30 day late. (not on my accounts but on friends/family)

Alot of companys now have special programs and features that wont report or give you a 2nd chance on alot of things.  BofA giving me 5 days to correct my account being overdrawn before charging me 30 dollars (first time only I think) Ive also read in one of my welcome letters that I pretty much got a free pass on my first late payment/missed payment on one of my credit cards.  

Either way youll know pretty quick from a report!  Good luck Smiley Happy 

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

threaten to cancel, if they call your bluff. set them straight and cancel! besides, idk what everyone else does, but i have all my accounts set to auto pay statement in full, although majority of the time i PIF before statement cuts/due date. If a high balance is an issue, autopay minimum payment is a good safety net. never want to miss a payment for it will be with you forever! not literally, but so it seems... 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm glad you caught it in time. Keep up the good work!!!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.