Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late payment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Late payment

Last month I was late on my credit card payment. I initiated the payment on the 29th day after it was due, but it posted on the 30th day. This has not been reported yet on the CR. Is there anything I can to prevent this from reporting?  What would happen if I closed the account?  

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Late payment

From all of my cards and many readings on this forum, most cards do not report latest until day 60. There may be some that have different ways. I was coming close to the 20 day mark on Discover with a $25 late fee. I logged in to chat on the discover website before making the payment and a chat customer service rep said if I enroll in direct auto pay with her she would "adjust" the late fee. I have worked customer service with a credit card company and made sure she tells me what adjusts means to her. It will be completely wiped... like it never happened. Try that if you're not enrolled.
Message 2 of 6
apandabear
Regular Contributor

Closing the account isn't going to stop any lates from hitting your credit report.

I'd call the CC company before they have a chance to report. Explain your situation, confirm the date your payment went through, and see if there will be any late payment fees and if they will report it. Try to stop it before it happens (if anything is going to).

2009-10 - C/Os
2011 - Debts paid, no open credit
2012 - Rebuilding started, secured cards opened, SL rehabbed - EQ myFICO 636
2014 - 10k Discover, 3.5k Freedom, AmEx Green, SL, Auto Loan - EQ myFICO 695
Message 3 of 6
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Most card companies, won't report a late untill its 30 days late. Call up the company and explain what happened if you have been a good customer for a while they will usually take off the late fee and all will be fine. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for the responses- I will contact the credit card company.

Message 5 of 6
codimom
Frequent Contributor

But, don't be surprised if they hit you with the 29.99% penalty APR.    I got hit with that for being 1 day late on my Slate card.  Never reported a late on my cr .. but still sits at that 29.99 rate.  I PIF so it doesn't matter, its just the frikkin principle ...

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.