Joan557

Late payment

[ Edited ]

Last month I was late on my credit card payment. I initiated the payment on the 29th day after it was due, but it posted on the 30th day. This has not been reported yet on the CR. Is there anything I can to prevent this from reporting?  What would happen if I closed the account?  

Contributor
heytherehitherehothere

Re: Late payment

From all of my cards and many readings on this forum, most cards do not report latest until day 60. There may be some that have different ways. I was coming close to the 20 day mark on Discover with a $25 late fee. I logged in to chat on the discover website before making the payment and a chat customer service rep said if I enroll in direct auto pay with her she would "adjust" the late fee. I have worked customer service with a credit card company and made sure she tells me what adjusts means to her. It will be completely wiped... like it never happened. Try that if you're not enrolled.
Regular Contributor
apandabear

Closing the account isn't going to stop any lates from hitting your credit report.

I'd call the CC company before they have a chance to report. Explain your situation, confirm the date your payment went through, and see if there will be any late payment fees and if they will report it. Try to stop it before it happens (if anything is going to).

2009-10 - C/Os
2011 - Debts paid, no open credit
2012 - Rebuilding started, secured cards opened, SL rehabbed - EQ myFICO 636
2014 - 10k Discover, 3.5k Freedom, AmEx Green, SL, Auto Loan - EQ myFICO 695
Valued Contributor
jamesdwi

Most card companies, won't report a late untill its 30 days late. Call up the company and explain what happened if you have been a good customer for a while they will usually take off the late fee and all will be fine. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSP 10k & Amtrak 4.6k, & Freedom 3.3k & Slate 3.3k, FNBO DISC 14.9k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 15k & AMEX Hilton Surpass 7.5k & AMEX Zync NPSL, Sams Club Discover 10k, Paypal Extras MC 6k, CapOne 2.5k, CapOne 750, Amazon 3.9k, Walmart 4.5k, Citi Simplicity 7k, HHonors Gold 1k (moved 5k CL to Simplicity), Discover IT 6.5k and a nice stack of store cards.
Last APP 4/26//2014 no plans for new credit I think I have enough.
Joan557

Thank you all for the responses- I will contact the credit card company.

Frequent Contributor
codimom

But, don't be surprised if they hit you with the 29.99% penalty APR.    I got hit with that for being 1 day late on my Slate card.  Never reported a late on my cr .. but still sits at that 29.99 rate.  I PIF so it doesn't matter, its just the frikkin principle ...

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+