New Visitor
Storms

Late payments affecting FICO score...

I deployed out of country in May 2001 and somehow none of the payments I had written checks for (credit cards, utilities, etc) were ever received.... Checks were never cashed and I never had a problem with an identity theft.  Best I can guess is that the entire stack of mail was taken from my mailbox... 

I got everything squared away and paid for upon my return... Still, I've got 6 negative reports on my credit report (all either from May or June 2001) showing a past due of 30 days.  Heck, 4 of the 6 are now closed! 

My question:  Will these late payments forever haunt my FICO score or do they drop off after 7 years like bankruptcies?  My FICO is close to breaking that 700 mark and it'd be nice if those bad remarks were removed from consideration....
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

Re: Late payments affecting FICO score...

They do drop off after seven years, and their impact is supposed to be fading by now. (I posted a question about this on the FICO scoring thread.) But this is a situation that begs for GW (goodwill) letters to be written, even on the closed accounts. Type goodwill or GW in the search box on this screen, and you'll get a ton of hits. Good luck!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+