Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest SCAM -- Union Workers Credit Union -- BEWARE

tag
--cypher--
Established Member

Re: Latest SCAM -- Union Workers Credit Union -- BEWARE

Hooray! I got mine in the mail the other day too...it couldn't have looked more suspicious if it had Ed McMahon's smiling face up in the corner. The first thing I did was scan the internet for details.

I think I'll hold out until they offer me a mini AM/FM boombox absolutely free (processing fees apply) and they DOUBLE my credit line to $20,000.

For now, I will just drop them an email thanking them for sending me some fire-starting material. It was getting cold and the kindling bin was out of newspaper....

Message 11 of 145
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just received this application in the mail, (Union Workers Credit Services). There appears to be a thin line between legal and illegal with these SCAMS. But at face value someone who is really in a bind and is taken in by the look of the application can be easily tempted, as is evident by the many complaints received. Perhaps that is what these folk count on. It's a numbers game. If you send out 100,000 applications and receive back only 10% with the $37.00 processing fee, that's roughly $370,000.00 in their pockets. I am very pleased that this site exists for us who wish to be sure. But unfortunately there are so many more that fall victim to these scams daily simply because there is a HUGH market when it comes to the uninformed, desperate and the ignorant. Thank you myFICO for this fourm.
Message 12 of 145
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Frankly, I would be astonished if the "workers" were unionized or anything else. I think anyone might wind up getting a mailer from these chuckleheads, whether they have any union involvement at all.

This just falls into the category of buying junk at inflated prices in order to get a tradeline reporting.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 145
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got this "approval" in the mail today. First off I will never send money to someone saying they need it for a membership fee up front for a credit card. Thats just crazy. Second let me tell you how to deal with this letter. They have to pay the postage to have the return letter returned back to them. Well instead of signing it and sending money I am going to do what my Mama taught me to do with junk mail. First you take their return envelope, write a nice little ha ha letter if you want, take some other junk mail I got today and rip it up and put it all back in their envelope and send it back to them. They like sending junk mail lets see how they like receiving it back at their expense. LOL
Message 14 of 145
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I just got this "approval" in the mail today. First off I will never send money to someone saying they need it for a membership fee up front for a credit card. Thats just crazy. Second let me tell you how to deal with this letter. They have to pay the postage to have the return letter returned back to them. Well instead of signing it and sending money I am going to do what my Mama taught me to do with junk mail. First you take their return envelope, write a nice little ha ha letter if you want, take some other junk mail I got today and rip it up and put it all back in their envelope and send it back to them. They like sending junk mail lets see how they like receiving it back at their expense. LOL

Yes....that is a great idea...and your mom saw it where I did...on 20/20 at the end when Andy Rooney did his little 2 or 3 minute segment.  That has stuck with me for over 20 years!!!  Make them pay the postage to get someone elses junk.  

Besides...the Postal Service can use all the extra $$ we can send their way!  Smiley Wink

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 15 of 145
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got this "offer" in the mail. It seemed, for someone in the process of rebuilding credit (and as you can see from my sig, I'm in the mid-600 range right now), just a little too good to be true. To go from a secured card to a $10,000 line seemed outrageous to say the least. As soon as I started typing in 'union workers credit' into google, immediately the word 'scam' appeared with the second listing-- as I suspected it would. It never fails to amaze me how bold scammers can be, and to what extend they're willing to extend their quips and schemes.

If anyone gets this "offer", rip it and pitch it. Or, fill their return envelope with the shredded pieces and a short letter containing the words, "feels good to pay, doesn't it?" and send it their way. See how much they enjoy paying for garbage.

Message 16 of 145
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Frankly, I would be astonished if the "workers" were unionized or anything else. I think anyone might wind up getting a mailer from these chuckleheads, whether they have any union involvement at all.

This just falls into the category of buying junk at inflated prices in order to get a tradeline reporting.

Yep. I got one a few months ago, and I'm not affiliated with any union. I looked it over, decided it was bogus and tossed it straight into the trash.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 17 of 145
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I like this! I'll remember it for the future. Thanks for sharing the tip.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 18 of 145
Anonymous
Not applicable

I RECEIVED A LETTER SAYING I WAS PREAPPROVED FOR A CREDIT CARD, JUST SEND IN $37.00,FOR A FEE LOW INTEREST RATE. I WAS NOT AWARE OF IT BEING A CATALOG MEMBERSHIP. I UNDERSTOOD THIS TO BE A CREDIT CARD,WHEN I DID NOT RECEIVE ANYTHING FROM THE COMPANY, I CALLED THEM; SINCE MY CHECK HAD ALREADY BEEN PROCESSED.THE LADY NAMED RENEE WAS VERY RUDE SAYING YOU SHOULD HAVE READ THE LETTER, BECAUSE IT STATED WHAT THE COMPANY WAS ABOUT.I ASKED TO SPEAK TO A MANAGER,SHE WAS JUST AS RUDE.THERE SHOULD BE SOMETHING THAT WE COULD DO TO KEEP OTHER PEOPLE FROM BEING RIPPED OFF.

VERY TICKED

Message 19 of 145
p-
Valued Contributor

Disclaimer at the bottom of their offer:

:YOU HAVE BEEN APPROVED FOR THIS PLATINUM CARD MEMBERSHIP OFFER BECAUSE YOU SATISFIED CERTAIN CONSUMER CRITERIA. VISA AND MASTERCARD ARE REGISTERED TRADEMARKS OF VISA INTERNATIONAL AND MASTERCARD, INC. RESPECTIVELY, AND ARE UNAFFILIATED WITH THIS OFFER OR UWCS. CREDIT AMOUNT REFERENCED HEREIN SHALL NOT BE CONSTRUED TO FUNCTION AS ANY TYPE OF MULTI-PURPOSE CREDIT CARD AND IS EXCLUSIVELY APPLICABLE FOR CREDIT PURCHASES FROM UWCS. ADDITIONAL CREDIT MAY BE GRANTED IN THE FUTURE AT CREDIT PROVIDERS SOLE DISCRETION. FAILURE TO RESPOND BY EXPIRATION DATE WILL RESULT IN TERMINATION OF YOUR ELIGIBILITY."

Always read the fine print!  It's like those durned EULA's:

Message 20 of 145
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.