cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Law Student: Next credit card to sign up for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Law Student: Next credit card to sign up for?

A little background info for ya'll first. I got my first credit card through my credit union in college in 2009, it is still at the initial $500 CL. I recently graduated college this year and held a part-time job while I was studying for the LSAT and putting together my applications for law school. During this time I applied and received a Capital One Cash Rewards card with a CL of $2000 and a AMEX Zync. I will start law school this August, and would like to get two more credit cards before I start. Being in school I don't plan on spending that much money. But I will be using these cards to pay utilities, groceries, gas, books, and eating out. I don't plan on doing much spending outside of this. I always pay my balances off in full every month and plan to keep this habit.

I was looking at the Chase Freedom and the Citi forward. However, these kind of overlap and you also have to remember  I already have the Capital1 cash rewards that gives me 1.5% back. I was looking at the Citi Diamond which offers a good APR, in case I do have to carry a balance for awhile. I also want to look at the long term too, because when I graduate I would like to get the AMEX BCE. So this rules out student cards too. So my question is, what two credit cards would benefit me most now and in the long term picture too? 

Also when you suggest what cards I should look at could you also suggest the items I should use each card for. Ie captial1 to pay bills, citi forward for food, etc. 

Than you for your time

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Law Student: Next credit card to sign up for?

@Anonymous wrote:

A little background info for ya'll first. I got my first credit card through my credit union in college in 2009, it is still at the initial $500 CL. I recently graduated college this year and held a part-time job while I was studying for the LSAT and putting together my applications for law school. During this time I applied and received a Capital One Cash Rewards card with a CL of $2000 and a AMEX Zync. I will start law school this August, and would like to get two more credit cards before I start. Being in school I don't plan on spending that much money. But I will be using these cards to pay utilities, groceries, gas, books, and eating out. I don't plan on doing much spending outside of this. I always pay my balances off in full every month and plan to keep this habit.

I was looking at the Chase Freedom and the Citi forward. However, these kind of overlap and you also have to remember  I already have the Capital1 cash rewards that gives me 1.5% back. I was looking at the Citi Diamond which offers a good APR, in case I do have to carry a balance for awhile. I also want to look at the long term too, because when I graduate I would like to get the AMEX BCE. So this rules out student cards too. So my question is, what two credit cards would benefit me most now and in the long term picture too? 

Also when you suggest what cards I should look at could you also suggest the items I should use each card for. Ie captial1 to pay bills, citi forward for food, etc. 

Than you for your time

I'm not sure what you mean by Chase Freedom and Citi Forward overlapping.  I carry Forward, Freedom, and BCE and use Forward for restaurants/cafeteria (at work), Freedom for whatever the 5% categories are, and BCE for groceries, gas (if not Freedom), and everything else.  If you spend a lot on gas and groceries, consider BCE now.  Forward is great for restaurants especially if you go out a lot.

Message 2 of 8
Guava
Established Contributor

Even though the Chase Freedom and Citi Forward  overlap each other in a few cases (Amazon?), I think they're worthwhile. The forward is great for dining out, seeing the movies, while the Freedom IMO is a great all around card, especially for spending on gas and online purchases (through Ultimate Reward mall)

As for BCE, if you don't have any negative items on your reports, I think you have a good chance of getting it after about 6 months - 1 year of good history with the Zync. Although it also depends on your AAoA if you decided to apply for other cards before the BCE.

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 on BCE, Freedom, and Forward. I've been using this combo for awhile and it covers most of the big spending categories, including online purchases with UR Mall. I'm averaging just about 3% cash back across all purchases each month.

Message 4 of 8
pkosheta
Contributor

I approve of your credit card choices. They are all fantastic cards. But as a recent law school graduate I am putting you on notice that your decision to go to law school will be a strain on your finances, family, friends, and your physical and mental health. you are in for three very difficult years that will make you both laugh and cry. Good luck!!!
Age 29
AU- United+ Visa 33k, *97. GM MasterCard 15k, *95.
Individual- PenFed Plat Rew 7k, *08. Amex Blue 6.7k, *12. Hilton Amex 5.5k, *12. Chase Sapphire 15k, *12. U.S. Bank Cash+ 12.3k, *12. Barclays Priceline.com Rewards Visa 11k, *13. Citi DoubleCash (PC'd in *14) 7k, *13. Club Carlson Premier 9k, *13.
Message 5 of 8
Braydon
New Contributor

My kid is in his first year of Law School and not allowed by the school to even hold a job. He has one credit card he got back when he was working on his two BA's at TTU and he paid it off first before taking on the Law School financial drain. I guess what I'm saying is don't get in to deep with two many credit cards unless your in the position to keep a good payment history going .The ABA will be looking at many things and your credit history is just one of them . Sorry I'm a mom I'll hush now...lol

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Braydon wrote:

My kid is in his first year of Law School and not allowed by the school to even hold a job. He has one credit card he got back when he was working on his two BA's at TTU and he paid it off first before taking on the Law School financial drain. I guess what I'm saying is don't get in to deep with two many credit cards unless your in the position to keep a good payment history going .The ABA will be looking at many things and your credit history is just one of them . Sorry I'm a mom I'll hush now...lol

+1 That is very good advice. I am also a professional student and don't charge what I can't pay off at the end of each month. If you use credit wisely the benefits are pretty nice - a little extra cash back for things you would otherwise pay for with cash or debit, extended warranties and returns, helps you keep track of spending, fraud protection, etc. Plus it helps you build good credit for a mortgage, auto loan, and other expenses down the line.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for your advice! Say if I do get the Forward and the Freedom, is it worth even using my Capital11 Cash Rewards card for any purchases? I am not worried about my Zync, because I mostly obtained that card to get my foot in the door with AMEX.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.