Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaked(?): New Combined Marriott/SPG Status Tiers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Leaked(?): New Combined Marriott/SPG Status Tiers

Well let me be the 1st on here to say " I just canceled my Ritz Carlton card I downgraded to the Marriott chase card until I use all the points and drop the Marriott totally. I just APP'ed the Hilton card that has a $450 AF but Hilton will now be me and my family's go to hotel. Due to the diamond status vs when is going to be gold with marriott/ritz. 

I had hoped to see the AMEX card for Marriott be top tier but alas it's not and I NEED/want the breakfast for when my whole family travels so that's why I changed to Hilton. 

It will take me awhile to run thru the points I have with Marriott but I'll be using them ASAP I hope to have them all gone by end of this year.

To everyone else enjoy the NEW marriott.

Message 61 of 185
redpat
Senior Contributor

Well not as bad as Hilton devaluation but a devaluation none the less.

Amex card looks uneventful and SPG is going to be far in the review mirror.

Back to MR and UR cards.  I'll dump my SPG card and all my Marriott points for flight and stay packages.

Hotel points are turning to crap points.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 62 of 185
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well let me be the 1st on here to say " I just canceled my Ritz Carlton card I downgraded to the Marriott chase card until I use all the points and drop the Marriott totally. I just APP'ed the Hilton card that has a $450 AF but Hilton will now be me and my family's go to hotel. Due to the diamond status vs when is going to be gold with marriott/ritz. 

I had hoped to see the AMEX card for Marriott be top tier but alas it's not and I NEED/want the breakfast for when my whole family travels so that's why I changed to Hilton. 

It will take me awhile to run thru the points I have with Marriott but I'll be using them ASAP I hope to have them all gone by end of this year.

To everyone else enjoy the NEW marriott.

Yea I am kinda in the same boat. I have had marriott status for years and usually consider it first for paid stays. These changes make it much more likely I will ditch the amex plat where in the past I was considering keeping it beyond this first year. I have a trip scheduled at the end of august after these changes kick in. I am toying with the idea of getting the new amex spg  for the signup and which gives you a $300 property credit that apparently applies to room rates. Then since I am gold I will see if I can challenge for plat during my trip to Colombia. I may be able to squeeze 6 stays out of that trip and then I would just need to come up with three cheap stays at domestic properties. If I am not targetted for the challenge then its goodbye marriott and I will spend my paid stays at hilton. Maybe I will consider getting the high end hilton card. Not sure since I have gold already. Diamond has never been that amazing with Hilton. I'm going to hold on to my hyatt card for the annual night cert and once in awhile they have spend bonuses or reduced point redemptions for card holders which makes the card worthwhile.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 63 of 185
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

Message 64 of 185
red259
Super Contributor

@redpat wrote:

Well not as bad as Hilton devaluation but a devaluation none the less.

Amex card looks uneventful and SPG is going to be far in the review mirror.

Back to MR and UR cards.  I'll dump my SPG card and all my Marriott points for flight and stay packages.

Hotel points are turning to crap points.

yea assuming they don't change the point packages too drastically. I dunno if its been said but do these new cards count as new products in terms of getting the bonuses? I wonder if the chase cards will bee subject to 5/24. That would seem rather stupid given that there is such a massive change being made to the hotel program and a lot of people will look to adjust the cards in their wallet accordingly. I may look at the signup bonuses and see if I can combine them to earn enough for a points package and then try to leverage that. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 65 of 185
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Yes, the new Chase card is subject to 5/24. Will wait until August to see what the signup bonus is on the Luxury card, but according to the link Ric posted, the SPG should be upgradable to the Luxury card which would at least help me out with hitting the $75k spend this year assuming that after a PC all of the YTD spend still counts.
Message 66 of 185
Anonymous
Not applicable

Due the the devaluation, I have prebooked a reservation for next year in New Orleans for 5 days to empty my account. If I decide in the next 3 months or so that I’m not going, I’ll simply transfer my points to American. I’ll certainly be closing my SPG card before the AF hits.Amex made that decision much easier giving me a 1,000 limit.

Message 67 of 185
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:
Yes, the new Chase card is subject to 5/24. Will wait until August to see what the signup bonus is on the Luxury card, but according to the link Ric posted, the SPG should be upgradable to the Luxury card which would at least help me out with hitting the $75k spend this year assuming that after a PC all of the YTD spend still counts.

I wonder how AMEX is going to treat upgraded accounts towards any SUBs announced for the new card if someone goes that route.

Message 68 of 185
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

So tonight might be the last night of 25k/30k sign-up bonus on SPG card rumor on DOC from source says changing to 200$!!! I might have to pick up the personal one incognito for 30k already had the business bonus.  $200 is weak sauce

Hahaha, wow. Just looked it up and it's basically a BCE/BCP SUB with $1k spend getting that $200 credit.

Temptation is real to grab the 30k on personal by incognito mode as haven't got it yet.. Although think I have Amex RAT on my arse currently lol.. Risk/Reward hmm..I closed two Business Amex's a few weeks back and one was a nightmare to close!

I'm not even a connoisseur of hotel cards and I admit to having possibly tried a time or two to see if the incognito 30k offer would come up.  Smiley Surprised  Smiley Embarassed

I probably need to leave this one alone... I already have IHG points banked for a rainy day.  Smiley Indifferent

Edited to add:  The FOMO is strong with this one. 

Message 69 of 185
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@UncleB wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

So tonight might be the last night of 25k/30k sign-up bonus on SPG card rumor on DOC from source says changing to 200$!!! I might have to pick up the personal one incognito for 30k already had the business bonus.  $200 is weak sauce

Hahaha, wow. Just looked it up and it's basically a BCE/BCP SUB with $1k spend getting that $200 credit.

Temptation is real to grab the 30k on personal by incognito mode as haven't got it yet.. Although think I have Amex RAT on my arse currently lol.. Risk/Reward hmm..I closed two Business Amex's a few weeks back and one was a nightmare to close!

I'm not even a connoisseur of hotel cards and I admit to having possibly tried a time or two to see if the incognito 30k offer would come up.  Smiley Surprised  Smiley Embarassed

I probably need to leave this one alone... I already have IHG points banked for a rainy day.  Smiley Indifferent

Edited to add:  The FOMO is strong with this one. 

LOL safari incognito works great for it, other browsers private mode not so much.. Strange.  Figure if you are runnning Mac you have more money lol?   Although some with Edge has said they had had success... Still sitting in my browser open Smiley Tongue

Message 70 of 185
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.