Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaked(?): New Combined Marriott/SPG Status Tiers

tag
SpecFile
Valued Contributor

Re: Leaked(?): New Combined Marriott/SPG Status Tiers

45 minutes. Can’t wait to see what happens. My flight department spends 150 nights per year at Marriott properties. We are prepared to make a switch if the news is less than desirable.
Message 41 of 185
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

Re: Marriott & SPG News on Monday

@iced wrote:

@adelphi_sky wrote:

I don't know. THere are so many programs out there to choose from. I'm don't travel for work so I can't rack up 40 nights in one year for a certain level. So, I back my way in via credit cards. But one has to ask themselves, what really do you get in return besides a cookie, free breakfast, and a cityview upgrade from a garden view? If I'm staying 40 nights at a particular chain in one year, then personally, I would need a little more. Free wi-fi doesn't even count as most people have personal hotspots. 

I mean are people getting a one week stay at a Marriott resort if they book 40 nights? 

It has been hard to quantify these rewards programs lately due to all the shifts that have been going on the past year with card issuers and hotel chains. 

The frequent business travelers usually don't care about a free cookie or a better view, either. The lounge access starts to become valuable quickly, particularly if the traveler is one to knock back alcohol daily. Internationally, the free wifi becomes very valuable - I have an international cell plan and even then I'm still paying $25 for every 100 MB of data when roaming. That adds up quick if I start using it as my mobile hotspot - so much as pulling Office updates over that could cost over $100. The reservations guarantee is also an immensely helpful benefit for those who travel a lot last-minute. These small benefits become more important to the frequent traveler because of that frequency - a casual CC traveler may be out a few breakfasts a year, but someone staying 50 nights is looking at almost two months out of every year in free breakfast.

Someone who stays 40 nights at a Marriott is (probably) going to earn enough points to stay a week at low-mid scale Marriott or 2-4 days at a higher end one. At an average of $175/night, a Gold staying 40 nights is getting 70,000 points for the stay, another 17,500 for their Gold bonus, and anywhere from 10,000 to 50,000 in various MegaBonus promotional points. That adds up to 100-150k points/year, not counting any supplemental sources of points such as CC spend. At $200/night and 50 nights (the current number of nights to achieve Gold), that jumps up to 150-200k points, which can put one in a cat 8/9 Marriott for 5 nights.

Thanks for putting it into perspective.

Message 42 of 185
Kree
Established Contributor

@adelphi_sky wrote:

@iced wrote:

@adelphi_sky wrote:

I don't know. THere are so many programs out there to choose from. I'm don't travel for work so I can't rack up 40 nights in one year for a certain level. So, I back my way in via credit cards. But one has to ask themselves, what really do you get in return besides a cookie, free breakfast, and a cityview upgrade from a garden view? If I'm staying 40 nights at a particular chain in one year, then personally, I would need a little more. Free wi-fi doesn't even count as most people have personal hotspots. 

I mean are people getting a one week stay at a Marriott resort if they book 40 nights? 

It has been hard to quantify these rewards programs lately due to all the shifts that have been going on the past year with card issuers and hotel chains. 

The frequent business travelers usually don't care about a free cookie or a better view, either. The lounge access starts to become valuable quickly, particularly if the traveler is one to knock back alcohol daily. Internationally, the free wifi becomes very valuable - I have an international cell plan and even then I'm still paying $25 for every 100 MB of data when roaming. That adds up quick if I start using it as my mobile hotspot - so much as pulling Office updates over that could cost over $100. The reservations guarantee is also an immensely helpful benefit for those who travel a lot last-minute. These small benefits become more important to the frequent traveler because of that frequency - a casual CC traveler may be out a few breakfasts a year, but someone staying 50 nights is looking at almost two months out of every year in free breakfast.

Someone who stays 40 nights at a Marriott is (probably) going to earn enough points to stay a week at low-mid scale Marriott or 2-4 days at a higher end one. At an average of $175/night, a Gold staying 40 nights is getting 70,000 points for the stay, another 17,500 for their Gold bonus, and anywhere from 10,000 to 50,000 in various MegaBonus promotional points. That adds up to 100-150k points/year, not counting any supplemental sources of points such as CC spend. At $200/night and 50 nights (the current number of nights to achieve Gold), that jumps up to 150-200k points, which can put one in a cat 8/9 Marriott for 5 nights.

As an addition. Many business travelers get a per diem allowance for food.  So that free breakfast isn't just saving 10 bucks, its actually earning the travelers 10-20 bucks when they expense for the day.

50 nights a year? thats 500-1000 dollars extra in pocket. Tax free because it is "reimbursement" not salary.

Message 43 of 185
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

I think it is lame that they are doing it on Facebook. For those of us who have refused to drink the Blue Kool-Aid, we have to sit on the sidelines. The WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND FACEBOOK. There, I said it. :-)  

Hey Marriott, ever heard of YouTube where ya don't need a freakin login to view your announcement? No? Man Frustrated

Message 44 of 185
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kree wrote:

@adelphi_sky wrote:

@iced wrote:

@adelphi_sky wrote:

As an addition. Many business travelers get a per diem allowance for food.  So that free breakfast isn't just saving 10 bucks, its actually earning the travelers 10-20 bucks when they expense for the day.

50 nights a year? thats 500-1000 dollars extra in pocket. Tax free because it is "reimbursement" not salary.

I use my whole per diem when I get it.  I tend to get free breakfest and eat a cheap lunch and then go out at night to a fancy restaurant and have a bunch of drinks.  I think the per diem is there to be used.   Even if I don't get free breakfeast I can pick up a bagel for a couple of bucks and wherever I am going has free coffee.    Free Breakfeast isn't saving so much.  

Message 45 of 185
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@adelphi_sky wrote:

I think it is lame that they are doing it on Facebook. For those of us who have refused to drink the Blue Kool-Aid, we have to sit on the sidelines. The WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND FACEBOOK. There, I said it. :-)  

Hey Marriott, ever heard of YouTube where ya don't need a freakin login to view your announcement? No? Man Frustrated

Doctor of Credit is live blogging it, if you either don't want to mess with FB or can't at work. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 46 of 185
Anonymous
Not applicable

@adelphi_sky wrote:

THANK YOU!!! I am a devout FB hater!  I REFUSE to drink from the FB Devil's Kool-Aid cup!!!  

Message 47 of 185
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

The world may end in 10 minutes. I’m scared, MFers. Hold me.
Message 48 of 185
Anonymous
Not applicable

@adelphi_sky wrote:

I must say I like Hilton more than Marriott, which is saying something. 

In all liklihood, Marriott will destroy what was a great loyalty program. AMEX SPG cardholders should expect to hold a new Marriott AMEX next year with 1 ppd spend on everything except Marriott related purchaes, with each point being worth 9/10ths of a cent each. 

I've seen people on here and Flyertalk rant about Marriott's "great customer service," but in reality, it stinks. If Marriott had great customer service and cared about their loyal customers, their program would be as good as Hyatt's or Starwood's. 

Message 49 of 185
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

@Adkins wrote:

@adelphi_sky wrote:

Doctor of Credit is live blogging it, if you either don't want to mess with FB or can't at work. 

Joy. Yeah. I saw that. Thanks. I'm "whatching" their site now. 

Message 50 of 185
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.