Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Learn from Mistake Re Amex Bonus Offers

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Learn from Mistake Re Amex Bonus Offers

Just to add to Walt's post, which explains very well the issue with applying while logged in with existing cookies.

For Amex personal cards, there's a new condition in the T&C where they stipulate that anyone identified as a current Amex cardmember may be ineligible for the bonus. With this disclosure, it appears Amex can refuse a bonus for any existing cardmember applying for a personal card.  This language however is not found in their business cards.

Message 21 of 24
navyox
Regular Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Just to add to Walt's post, which explains very well the issue with applying while logged in with existing cookies.

For Amex personal cards, there's a new condition in the T&C where they stipulate that anyone identified as a current Amex cardmember may be ineligible for the bonus. With this disclosure, it appears Amex can refuse a bonus for any existing cardmember applying for a personal card.  This language however is not found in their business cards.

The highlighted is what is so frustrating.   They are completely arbitrary in enforcing it.

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 22 of 24
Anam
Established Member

@09Lexie wrote:
Because you apped for the SPG?

Almost a year ago I apped for the AMEX SPG through an email promotion from Starwood itself. However since I used the same browser they knew I was an existing card holder (Blue Cash) and as such I didn't get the bonus either.

I've been calling, secure messaging (now they disabled this feature) and also using chat with them for the past 4 months. Each time they tell me I will get a call in 1-2 weeks and nothing happens.

I'm pretty certain that I will cancel the card because of this, but it would be nice if they would atleast say yes or no instead of just saying it will happen and ignoring it completely.

@Revelate wrote:

@navyox wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

So when you have 1 Amex you will never get the sign up bonus for a new card even if it is a different product ?

If you are logged in, most likely not.   Your best way is to clear cookies or use a different web browser so they don't recognize you.    The last CSR I spoke to said I could get the 25,000 MR bonus in a year (assuming they were still running it) if I cancelled and applied again.   It's almost like they are actively encouraging you churn.

I'm not certain about that: simply because you get the offers in the online interface doesn't mean the backend system is going to recognize it; end of the day you have a unique member number which is assuredly tied to your SSN somehow, and unless you're using a different SSN or TID, I rather strongly doubt this would get past their systems.

It does. I used a private browsing tab (no cookies) to apply for the Delta card and right after activating verified that the sign up offer is attached to the account.

Message 23 of 24
navyox
Regular Contributor

Yes, Anam that is exactly the run around they gave me.    "I'll open an inquiry, you'll hear something in 7-10 days".    Crickets.    Every call was like starting over.     ONE time, I talked to someone that was sympathetic, and she connected me to the MR deptartment.   The guy at MR said he'd check and see if he could apply it, and I'm not joking, the call dropped while I was on hold.    Called back and they would not connect me.

Looking back, maybe they just hung up on me.   I was going to try an EO email, but screw it.   Amex is telling me they value non-customers more, so I'm becoming a non-customer.    See you in 12 months.

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.