Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Left the garden...for CSP

tag
xboxrunner
Regular Contributor

Left the garden...for CSP

So I have left the garden after a year and a half. I've been wanting to pay off my car for some time now (balance is around $3500) and I figured I could try to get something out of it by getting a good signup bonus card, balance transfer, then pay off right away. I've always wanted the Chase Sapphire Preferred for the 40,000 points but I probably could never manage the spend. So this is a easy way to kill two birds with one stone since I have enough money saved to pull it off. I was instantly approved, I will update with apr and CL once I get my card.

My credit scores are in my siggy, and I think I have around 7 Inquiries on Experian (who I think they pull in my state) that are all 1.7yrs old. My current UT is probably 2-3%. I have other cards well over $5k cl so maybe that helped in my approval. I haven't seen my real FICO in over a year, but multiple sites have put me in the 760+ range. This will be my final credit card for at least the next 2 years...and maybe ever as I really like the ones I currently have. I don't spend alot so Ill probably PC to the basic Sapphire after the free year is up.

I might not post alot, but I'm always lurking (lol) around the forums, reading, and improving my understanding of credit. I have to say since I've started this journey I've gotten my credit from 550 ficos to 760+ over a few years so don't feel discouraged if your just now taking steps to get your credit back together as you can do it if you stay commited and willing to do research. If you have any questions feel free to msg me or post on here.

Transunion - 820 (9/8/21)
Equifax Fico 8 - 832 (9/8/21)
Vantagescore - 821 (3/20/21)
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Left the garden...for CSP

grats!

by the way, there is no need to balance transfer your car loan.

you can use charge smart. i have never used it myself so i can't testify for the service, but apparently they have good reviews. you can read more about it here: http://millionmilesecrets.com/2011/07/20/40-powerful-ways-to-complete-your-credit-card-minimum-spend...

The fee they charge seems to be a lot lower than most balance transfer fees (except Chase slate).

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 13
xboxrunner
Regular Contributor

@enharu wrote:

grats!

by the way, there is no need to balance transfer your car loan.

you can use charge smart. i have never used it myself so i can't testify for the service, but apparently they have good reviews. you can read more about it here: xxxx

The fee they charge seems to be a lot lower than most balance transfer fees (except Chase slate).

I checked it out and they don't have my lending institution on there, but interesting stuff thanks.

Message 3 of 13
toppers555
Established Contributor

congrats! I am just waiting for ATT to clear up this situration with a false collection and I will be applying as well, but I have been considering waiting a few months untill my amex ,and discover age to 6+ months. I think the deciding factor will be if US bank gives me a cli and allows me to convert to cash+ then I pretty much will wait to my amex 3x shows, because in pass on my denial letter the top reason was unable to determine account status/info , which I assume it was refering to my cash rewards siggy.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 4 of 13
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

Hey, GREAT work on your cedit history.  Thanks for sharing your encouragement.  Congrats on the CSP too.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 5 of 13
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

super..Congrats! this is the last card on my wish list for 2014...gardening makes so much sense Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 13
xboxrunner
Regular Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:
super..Congrats! this is the last card on my wish list for 2014...gardening makes so much sense Smiley Happy

I've been helping family members with their credit reports and scores and their biggest problem --like mine was-- is they want everything to jump up right away and get approved for everything. I tell them their scores will climb when they keep paying on time and reduce their debt (utilization), but it takes a while! I've wanted the CSP for a couple years, but I held off until I had everything in order. I'm sure you'll get there too, just keep on trucking!
Message 7 of 13
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@xboxrunner wrote:

So I have left the garden after a year and a half. I've been wanting to pay off my car for some time now (balance is around $3500) and I figured I could try to get something out of it by getting a good signup bonus card, balance transfer, then pay off right away. I've always wanted the Chase Sapphire Preferred for the 40,000 points but I probably could never manage the spend. So this is a easy way to kill two birds with one stone since I have enough money saved to pull it off. I was instantly approved, I will update with apr and CL once I get my card.

My credit scores are in my siggy, and I think I have around 7 Inquiries on Experian (who I think they pull in my state) that are all 1.7yrs old. My current UT is probably 2-3%. I have other cards well over $5k cl so maybe that helped in my approval. I haven't seen my real FICO in over a year, but multiple sites have put me in the 760+ range. This will be my final credit card for at least the next 2 years...and maybe ever as I really like the ones I currently have. I don't spend alot so Ill probably PC to the basic Sapphire after the free year is up.

I might not post alot, but I'm always lurking (lol) around the forums, reading, and improving my understanding of credit. I have to say since I've started this journey I've gotten my credit from 550 ficos to 760+ over a few years so don't feel discouraged if your just now taking steps to get your credit back together as you can do it if you stay commited and willing to do research. If you have any questions feel free to msg me or post on here.

Just to be clear you know that you aren't going to get the 40k bonus points by doing a balance transfer right?  You actually have to spend 3k and balance transfers don't count towards that 3k.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 8 of 13
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I was going to say exactly what you said Ryan!! Haha

Please read the fine print folks. Bts typically do NOT count for min spend. AND WHY would you bt to a card with a 15.24% apr?!?!!!

Just curious...
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 13
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Nice, Congrats on the instant approval!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.