Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legality of using parents income?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Legality of using parents income?

Hello,

I have read that if you are over the age of 20 and live with a parent that you can include their income as yours when applying for a credit card. Is this true?

Honestly can't remember which it was, but I asked this question to Amex/Discover directly and one said yes and the other said no.
I'm hoping to get Penfed or NFCU CC soon and would like the real answer.

Thanks!
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Legality of using parents income?

That depends on the wording
Individual income
-or-
Household income

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 2 of 23
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

And the wording will vary between credit card issuers! That could be why AMEX says one thing, while Discover says another
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if when applying to NFCU/PenFed, if they only ask "what is your income" when on the phone, am I being truthful if I reply the household income?
Message 4 of 23
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

I thought it was specifically over the age of 21 that you could use household income .
Message 5 of 23
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor
Message 6 of 23
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

http://www.creditcardideas.com/blog/reporting-income-for-credit-card-applications

This second article will better answer your specific questions I think .
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/report-income-credit-card-application/

This says you must be 22.. I like your link better though.
Message 8 of 23
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

OP-

21, or 22, it really doesnt seem to matter.  If you are married, then you can use your spouse's income, or, apparently you can also use your domestic partner's income..

But, since you do not have a reasonable expectation of access to your parents money, you cannot use HH income in your case..

According to an amendment to the CARD Act, borrowers over 21 can list any income to which they have “reasonable expectation of access.” This broad definition includes:

Personal income
Income from a spouse or partner
Allowances and gifts
Trust fund distributions
Scholarships and grants
Retirement fund distributions
Social Security income

Message 9 of 23
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So if when applying to NFCU/PenFed, if they only ask "what is your income" when on the phone, am I being truthful if I reply the household income?

No, you would not be truthful, as you do not have access to your parents money. (unless you have full access to their checkbook..lol)

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.