cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lender provided credit score is incorrect by 200 pts.

tag
PNut08
New Contributor

Lender provided credit score is incorrect by 200 pts.

I'm trying to rebuild my credit and recently apped and was approved for an amazon store card (GEMB). I received a really high interest rate, but didn't worry about it since I plan on using it and then PIF each month. Anyway, I just received a letter from GEMB saying that the reason I received such a high interest rate is because of my credit score. They provided me with my EQ score at 458! I knew it couldn't be that low so I paid for my score through EQ and it's 200 points higher than what GEMB reported to me.

Has anyone ever had a lender provided credit score that is off from your actual score by that much?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: Lender provided credit score is incorrect by 200 pts.

Probably a typo. (assuming exactly a 200 point difference).

Scoring version doesn't seem reasonable... that's too a big of a swing, unless it's a FAKO that has a much larger range.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Read the letter again. 

Lots of banks use their own version of a scoring model...perhaps they're scale is different than an actual FICO?

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 3 of 7
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

Read the letter again. 

Lots of banks use their own version of a scoring model...perhaps they're scale is different than an actual FICO?

Yep...take a look at the score range...I'm guessing it isn't the standard 850-max you see with true FICO scoring. It's probably an in-house formula.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 4 of 7
GregB
Valued Contributor

There is no information provided on the "credit score" except to say that it is an EQ score. There are around 30 different credit scores available from each of the CRAs. The OP never said that they had pulled a FICO score but even if it is a FICO Score there are still 5 common EQ FICO scores that could be pulled for a CC application plus at least 2 rarer FICO versions. The common EQ FICO for a Bankcard application would be Beacon 5.0 Classic as used on myFICO, Beacon 9 Classic, the Bankcard Industry Option for each of those, Nextgen v2.

First we would need to know if it says "FICO" and a score range. Then we could at least guess at the score. It COULD be an in-house score but most in-house scores are on the the standard scores with an additional modification at the end, not completely an in-house formula.

Message 5 of 7
CoolDude67

I think GEMB uses their own scoring system. When I apped for a Walmart card, I had a 460 from TU. The document stated their score range was 300 - 620. No mention of FICO anywhere.

Message 6 of 7
Elated
Contributor

Pnut, I had the same thing happen to me just recently, (approximately 2 weeks ago).

I called Chase just to ask a simple question of how they process their credit line increases, (as currently I have a 0 balance). I specifically told the CSR that I was merely calling to inquire as to whether they do this process by reviewing their accounts periodically, or by some other method. Her reply was, "hold on, you cannot be approved for a credit limit increase at this time."

I received the denial letter a couple of days later, and noticed the inquiry, (a hard pull), went on my credit from First USA Bank. It stated the reason for my denial was that my credit score was 552, and in the same letter stated my current credit score was 680.

I called back in immediately the same day I spoke to the CSR, and asked to speak with a supervisor. I went on to say that I was not soliciting a credit line increase at this time, but was just merely inquiring as to how they go about this process. I explained to her that  I am currently in the middle of  the mortgage process, and purchasing a home that I will close on in January and explained to her the actions of her CSR.

She said, "that is not a good thing, especially if you are purchasing a home." She asked for my Mortgage Company's name and fax number and said she would turn it over to their Credit Bureau Department. I told her that I wanted this inquiry to be removed, but much to my surprise it has not yet, and it's been 2 weeks.

I am still waiting. So yes, I have had this happen to me.

Sorry for the long drawn out storySmiley Sad

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.