Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Less Hassle to upgrade your CapOne card to Signature

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Less Hassle to upgrade your CapOne card to Signature

So I was on a mission yesterday, constantly calling Capital One's EO to try to find someone that could give me an answer besides "I don't understand what it is you want"..

Eventually I found someone who listened to my plea of upgrading both my Quicksilver Mastercard to a World Mastercard and my Quicksilver Visa to a Visa Signature. After getting transfered four times to a different department each time, i got a hold of someone who was willing to work on it. He told me that it's very difficult to do without a product change because they usually assign that code when you get your initial credit line, and only those who have access deep into the system can change that.

He told me he has one of the higher ups visiting his location and that they're actually working on another similar request and that if it can be done he'll do it to both my cards.

The only difference this time was that he told me on the off chance that they weren't successful that if someone calls in and asks if there are any product changes available on there profile, the representative should be able to tell them whether the new card will be a World Mastercard or a Visa Signature, and once that card is upgrade and receives that code, the code will stay on for the life of the card, regardless of future product changes or credit line changes.

So he suggested that if it doesn't work out that I just upgrade my QS Mastercard to a VentureOne World Mastercard, which was the offer I had and then wait six months and ask for it to be changed back. Changing back to a previous product shouldn't  be an issue and it will retain the World Mastercard status.

More than likely this is what I'll do if it doesn't work out. I rarely use the card as it is because I have a Citi Double Cash card. So being without the 1.5% for six months won't kill me.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Less Hassle to upgrade your CapOne card to Signature

Capital one has been good to me, but I think this type of thing is prevalent in all banks and to me it kinda sucks

What I mean is that when they make you jump through all those hoops and give you a ton of convoluted answers, usually it just means right now what ever you're asking for is a no.

When the answer is yes the very first person you speak to will say "I can do that for you right now" and the guy/gal on the phone doesn't have any control over what makes it a yes or a no

Personally I would be ok with them saying you do not meet our requirements to have what you want, but I'm sure most people would get upset or insulted so they play ring around the thorn bush instead of giving the honest answer and this is not the CSR's fault but a learned response by the company after dealing with the common people who use their bank.

My 2% cash back on a dollar.

Message 2 of 6
kdm31091
Super Contributor

If you barely use the card anyway, may not be worth worrying about either way. I agree capital one makes it a hassle, but the easy way to avoid the hassle is to not concern yourself with a (probably) pointless upgrade.
Message 3 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I was on a mission yesterday, constantly calling Capital One's EO to try to find someone that could give me an answer besides "I don't understand what it is you want"..

Eventually I found someone who listened to my plea of upgrading both my Quicksilver Mastercard to a World Mastercard and my Quicksilver Visa to a Visa Signature. After getting transfered four times to a different department each time, i got a hold of someone who was willing to work on it. He told me that it's very difficult to do without a product change because they usually assign that code when you get your initial credit line, and only those who have access deep into the system can change that.

He told me he has one of the higher ups visiting his location and that they're actually working on another similar request and that if it can be done he'll do it to both my cards.

The only difference this time was that he told me on the off chance that they weren't successful that if someone calls in and asks if there are any product changes available on there profile, the representative should be able to tell them whether the new card will be a World Mastercard or a Visa Signature, and once that card is upgrade and receives that code, the code will stay on for the life of the card, regardless of future product changes or credit line changes.

So he suggested that if it doesn't work out that I just upgrade my QS Mastercard to a VentureOne World Mastercard, which was the offer I had and then wait six months and ask for it to be changed back. Changing back to a previous product shouldn't  be an issue and it will retain the World Mastercard status.

More than likely this is what I'll do if it doesn't work out. I rarely use the card as it is because I have a Citi Double Cash card. So being without the 1.5% for six months won't kill me.

This is actually exactly what I had in mind if/when I decide to go for the WMC designation.  It seems like back-to-back PCs are the path of 'least resistance', since like you mention most CSRs won't even know what you're talking about anyway.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Are your limits above 5,000? That's the first thing. I had a 3k Ventureone that PC'd to a QS. Got a CLI to 7500. Called in and asked to upgrade to a siggy. Took about 10 minutes. New card was sent out couple days later. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another data point - I just received my QS WMC from Cap1.

I did a PC from QS1 to QS. The CSR said I didn't have a WMC offer on the card but the QS was issued as one anyway. I'm going to try to PC my other MC to see if I can get the same thing to happen.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.