Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Less "popular" CCs that are appealing?

tag
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

Less "popular" CCs that are appealing?

Are there smaller or lesser known credit card companies or CUs out there that you've got your eye on apping with, but you haven't because it's not AMEX, Chase, Discover, BoA, Barclay, Comenity, GE, etc.? It seems like the Duck and Beaver cards only recently became popular (though perhaps I missed it having such popularity over the couple years I've been on) throughout these boards and I'm wondering what could be next. Maybe it's a credit union that offers a huge CL or a smaller company that has unique perks. Maybe they're particularly easy with their underwriting or maybe just the opposite - maybe they're only for the 800 club. 

Just starting a little conversation...

Thoughts?

*grammar edit

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Less "popular" CCs that are appealing?

If you are in their service area:

Huntington Voice

JCB Marukai

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 2 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

The Huntington Bank's Voice MC/WMC gained some momentum during summer; however, it hasn't been fully expanded nationwide - only within their footprint area (due to expand sometime early in 2014).

There's also the NASA FCU Rewards Visa.

Fifth Third Bank's SU2C MasterCard was recently launched (if you're into the philanthrohic spirit).

Santander Bank (fka Sovereign Bank) currently offers the Sphere Visa Signature cashback product.

Wells Fargo Bank is slated to widely launch (currently offered in test markets) their AMEX CC sometime mid-2014.

US Bank will be launching their AMEX CC during Fall 2014.

Message 3 of 19
TimoneilD

@FinStar wrote:

The Huntington Bank's Voice MC/WMC gained some momentum during summer; however, it hasn't been fully expanded nationwide - only within their footprint area (due to expand sometime early in 2014).

There's also the NASA FCU Rewards Visa.

Fifth Third Bank's SU2C MasterCard was recently launched (if you're into the philanthrohic spirit).

Santander Bank (fka Sovereign Bank) currently offers the Sphere Visa Signature cashback product.

Wells Fargo Bank is slated to widely launch (currently offered in test markets) their AMEX CC sometime mid-2014.

US Bank will be launching their AMEX CC during Fall 2014

Speaking as someone who has worked in and around Banco Santander, if you're looking for an up and comer, this is a good one.  Their lending services hasn't really broken into the US market, but I believe that there is nothing stopping them as this point but themselves.  It's a massive Spanish bank, and if you know Spain's current political and financial climate, then you know why they've been cautious to this point.  Santander is a good organization though, and worth a look if you aren't certain as to their value as a lender.

(EDIT: for the record, I don't work for them anymore, I just like the organization.)

Starting Score: 566
Current Score: 633
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 19
compassion101
Established Contributor

TD Bank, 5% cash back on nearly everything for the first 6 months

Message 5 of 19
alvon123
Super Contributor

@MontegoMack wrote:

Are there smaller or lesser known credit card companies or CUs out there that you've got your eye on apping with, but you haven't because it's not AMEX, Chase, Discover, BoA, Barclay, Comenity, GE, etc.? It seems like the Duck and Beaver cards only recently became popular (though perhaps I missed it having such popularity over the couple years I've been on) throughout these boards and I'm wondering what could be next. Maybe it's a credit union that offers a huge CL or a smaller company that has unique perks. Maybe they're particularly easy with their underwriting or maybe just the opposite - maybe they're only for the 800 club. 

Thoughts?

*grammar edit

BBVA Compass Clearpoints visa (if you are in their area)   15,000 max clearpoints visa all other cards apply at branch or phone  20,000 max  http://www.bbvacompass.com/credit-cards/

Message 6 of 19
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Some of the regional banks have been the "darlings" on sites such as this over the years.  I recall about 6-7 years ago, 1st Command Bank was one of those "must have" cards, due to their low APR and generous terms.  Not unlike the favour that the Duck/Beaver cards have garnered here lately.  Simmons First and IberiaBank have also been the same sort of "darling" cards, not so much here though, as on some other sites from a few years back.  They are still good cards to consider, though stringent requirements to get them.

Message 7 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@alvon123 wrote:

@MontegoMack wrote:

Thoughts?

*grammar edit

BBVA Compass Clearpoints visa (if you are in their area)   15,000 max clearpoints visa all other cards apply at branch or phone  20,000 max  http://www.bbvacompass.com/credit-cards/

What's the good thing about this card?   Looks like just 1% rewards.

Message 8 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

Some of the regional banks have been the "darlings" on sites such as this over the years.  I recall about 6-7 years ago, 1st Command Bank was one of those "must have" cards, due to their low APR and generous terms.  Not unlike the favour that the Duck/Beaver cards have garnered here lately.  Simmons First and IberiaBank have also been the same sort of "darling" cards, not so much here though, as on some other sites from a few years back.  They are still good cards to consider, though stringent requirements to get them.

Right, Simmons and Iberia are still great low-rate cards, but the strict conditions make them inapplicable to many here.

Still don't get the massive love of Duck/Beaver (high CL for many I guess) but I had always assumed it is just one of many.

Message 9 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@compassion101 wrote:

TD Bank, 5% cash back on nearly everything for the first 6 months

Yes, 5% uncapped!    Wells Fargo has three similar cards, also for 6 months.  Some people are getting $1000 cash back a month on those.   TD Bank you can apparently reopen two months after closing and get another 6 months, and you may be able to rotate among the different WF cards but haven't seen confirmation.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.