cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Less "popular" CCs that are appealing?

tag
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: Less "popular" CCs that are appealing?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@thom02099 wrote:

Some of the regional banks have been the "darlings" on sites such as this over the years.  I recall about 6-7 years ago, 1st Command Bank was one of those "must have" cards, due to their low APR and generous terms.  Not unlike the favour that the Duck/Beaver cards have garnered here lately.  Simmons First and IberiaBank have also been the same sort of "darling" cards, not so much here though, as on some other sites from a few years back.  They are still good cards to consider, though stringent requirements to get them.

Right, Simmons and Iberia are still great low-rate cards, but the strict conditions make them inapplicable to many here.

Still don't get the massive love of Duck/Beaver (high CL for many I guess) but I had always assumed it is just one of many.

The downside is that you have to have a card with one of those silly logos on it.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 11 of 19
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I have the Bank of Omaha AMEX, it's a nice little card.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 12 of 19
samm90
New Contributor

I'm going to app for a local CU card in 6 months. 7.99% apr for bt ca and purchases. 1%FTF. Since it is only avaliable to less than 50 k people I'm sure it isn't popular.
Discover Tu 730(2/14) DCU Eq 725(2/28)

Bouncing back from new accts and inqs. Hope to be back over 760 soon.
Message 13 of 19
user5387
Valued Contributor

@MontegoMack wrote:

Are there smaller or lesser known credit card companies or CUs out there that you've got your eye on apping with, but you haven't because it's not AMEX, Chase, Discover, BoA, Barclay, Comenity, GE, etc.? It seems like the Duck and Beaver cards only recently became popular (though perhaps I missed it having such popularity over the couple years I've been on) throughout these boards and I'm wondering what could be next. Maybe it's a credit union that offers a huge CL or a smaller company that has unique perks. Maybe they're particularly easy with their underwriting or maybe just the opposite - maybe they're only for the 800 club. 

Just starting a little conversation...

Thoughts?

*grammar edit

If you're going to be carrying a balance long term, and can't spin out the 0% offers, then I would focus on CU cards.

There are at least three reasons for this -- (1) lower APRs, (2) higher CLs, and (3) less AA risk.  Some CU cards also have rewards, for example 1% cashback.  A few have even better rewards, for example LMCU and Penfed.

Here's a list of around 75 CUs open to anyone.

http://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/the-big-list-of-credit-unions-open-to-anyone.html

Message 14 of 19
Tuxedo77
Contributor

Smiley LOL

@FinStar wrote:

The Huntington Bank's Voice MC/WMC gained some momentum during summer; however, it hasn't been fully expanded nationwide - only within their footprint area (due to expand sometime early in 2014).

There's also the NASA FCU Rewards Visa.

Fifth Third Bank's SU2C MasterCard was recently launched (if you're into the philanthrohic spirit).

Santander Bank (fka Sovereign Bank) currently offers the Sphere Visa Signature cashback product.

Wells Fargo Bank is slated to widely launch (currently offered in test markets) their AMEX CC sometime mid-2014.

US Bank will be launching their AMEX CC during Fall 2014.

Muah ha ha hah! Smiley LOL

AMEX: PRG, EDP - Citi: Double Cash WMC - Barclay's: Sallie Mae WMC, RMC - Discover: IT - Chase: Freedom
Message 15 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Tuxedo77 wrote:

Smiley LOL

@FinStar wrote:

The Huntington Bank's Voice MC/WMC gained some momentum during summer; however, it hasn't been fully expanded nationwide - only within their footprint area (due to expand sometime early in 2014).

Fifth Third Bank's SU2C MasterCard was recently launched (if you're into the philanthrohic spirit).

Santander Bank (fka Sovereign Bank) currently offers the Sphere Visa Signature cashback product.

Wells Fargo Bank is slated to widely launch (currently offered in test markets) their AMEX CC sometime mid-2014.

Heya Tuxedo77!!!!!!!  Robot LOL   Psst ... Psst ... want another delicious list of obscure CCs?  LOL   Oh wait, myjourney might see this and send those rabid squirrels in my direction... they shredded my jeans last time leaving them looking like a hula skirt... as a reminder not to encourage indiscrimnate apps Smiley Tongue

Message 16 of 19
Tuxedo77
Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Tuxedo77 wrote:

Smiley LOL

@FinStar wrote:

Heya Tuxedo77!!!!!!!  Robot LOL   Psst ... Psst ... want another delicious list of obscure CCs?  LOL   Oh wait, myjourney might see this and send those rabid squirrels in my direction... they shredded my jeans last time leaving them looking like a hula skirt... as a reminder not to encourage indiscrimnate apps Smiley Tongue

LOL, shredded jean-skirts are pretty doggone trendy. Just hope you live in a warm part of the country Smiley Wink

Came close to a Santander app last week, but I'm "saving myself" for Huntington whenever they get ready to expand. Smiley LOL

AMEX: PRG, EDP - Citi: Double Cash WMC - Barclay's: Sallie Mae WMC, RMC - Discover: IT - Chase: Freedom
Message 17 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Tuxedo77 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Tuxedo77 wrote:

Smiley LOL

@FinStar wrote:

LOL, shredded jean-skirts are pretty doggone trendy. Just hope you live in a warm part of the country Smiley Wink

Came close to a Santander app last week, but I'm "saving myself" for Huntington whenever they get ready to expand. Smiley LOL

LMAO... Nope, Ohio is not warm this time of year and just think how freezing cold it would be wearing something like that! Smiley Tongue

It probably wouldn't hurt to wait.  The last update was beginning of 2014, not sure of the exact date though.  From what I've heard, they've had a good response with the Voice CC within the current Huntington Bank footprint.... so we'll see. 

Message 18 of 19
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Tuxedo77 wrote:

Smiley LOL

@FinStar wrote:

lmao! Smiley Very Happy those squirrels are creepy Smiley Very Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.