cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Less than 7 months in the credit world with nearly 17 credit cards?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Less than 7 months in the credit world with nearly 17 credit cards?!

@longtimelurker wrote:

I wouldn't say "Close it" without first knowing if a particular card is useful to the OP.   Some of the store cards  have a reasonable discount.  

Choosing what to close should be just as strategic as applying.

Also, is the Amazon card the store version (my guess!) or Chase.  If the former, limit cannot be moved to Freedom.

Smiley Very Happy just as strategic as applying

The OP's apping strategy is why we're here.....sorry just thought that was funnySmiley Embarassed just as strategicSmiley LOL

Message 11 of 72
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I wouldn't say "Close it" without first knowing if a particular card is useful to the OP.   Some of the store cards  have a reasonable discount.  

Choosing what to close should be just as strategic as applying.

Also, is the Amazon card the store version (my guess!) or Chase.  If the former, limit cannot be moved to Freedom.

Smiley Very Happy just as strategic as applying

The OP's apping strategy is why we're here.....sorry just thought that was funnySmiley Embarassed just as strategicSmiley LOL

I was being slightly non-FSR in my implication, i.e. that people giving random advice to close without any knowledge of the OPs spending patterns were making the same type of mistake (in the opposite direction) as the OP.   Hence "should be"

Message 12 of 72
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Wow, quite a collection OP. I agree with most , hang back let them age. Store cards creates quite the battle here, some are ,some are against, main thing is if they sre useful to you, then no problem having them. Like irs been stated earlier the problem now is with so much new credit in short time, its gonna catch up to when its time for your "dream " cards. You may wven get them but at what cost? A low credit limit? I wish i knew more about handling credit when i first started out so my advise would be to please pay heed to dome of the advice given here. Much is given with heartfelt grace and experience and many want to help others in their credit journey. Ive learned alot from this wonderful forum and most importantly i learned that when its time to app, look for cards that will help you grow not just to have. Good luck OP on your journeySmiley Happy
Message 13 of 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just ribbing Smiley Tongue

And you're right the OP should decide which accounts, if any to close but in fairness, we were having a little fun

it isn't like someone apping at a rate of 1 card per 12 days for the last 7 months....is making decisions based upon spending habits

and respectfully probably isn't anywhere near strategic ....other than a 'wish list' as they stated.

I get where you're going in general but specifically ...here we're talking kid n candy store, so it's not so 'random'...  if you read the OP's

post you'll see a person admitting their a bit outta control.

I didn't take as heavy as you seem it's love and concern that sometimes, cold water and LOUD noises help ppl snap out of it...

The only thing missing from that list was the phrase 'I'd suggest" IMO

Message 14 of 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use my cards with the money I have in the bank. It gets hectic but I love all of my cards! Maybe a few years down the road, I might remove a few but right now, I use them all. I have my own check system that I created on excel and I pay MOST of my cards off monthly. (Exception being lowes and home depot) I enjoy the special financing they offer. I will slow down on applying now that I have so many but I wouldn't trade them for the world. I check them week. I am responsible for my cards. As for the lenders, some might look at me as risky and crazy when they see my profile. I've been denied a few times but it hasn't stopped me from applying. I've only maxed out one card and paid it off within that week. Other than that, I use my cards for everyday needs. I also anticipate for those emergency days too. For example, I recently had to purchase an AC unit because my central AC was having problems. That being said, I am very careful and responsible with my credit cards. I'm applying a lot right now because why not? I want all the cards I currently have and I shop there or I've always wanted that particular bank card. A few years from now, I might want a house and a brand new car, at that point, I won't be able to apply to any of the cards I like. Sure, I might have a problem saying no to a card I like but it's not like I max them out, have them sent to collection and have the agency garnish my wages! 

Message 15 of 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

Classic case of hind sight being 20/20
Message 16 of 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thirteen store cards for the privilege of getting shut out of half of Chase's portfolio due to 5/24
Message 17 of 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

...I'm addicted to applying lol

You might change your mind when you know banks aren't out there to look after your best interest but rather view you as a potential customer that may fall into their trap. 

Message 18 of 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'll get "Un-Addicted" when AA slams you in the lips.
Message 19 of 72
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

OP:  I am glad you are happy with your progress and that you have a hobby that interests you.  That is my PC community supportive comment.  You have good scores and you are giving into the dark side and wasting them.  Except for # 2 your list below is a good one.  I have to ask the obvious, if you are smart enough to come up with this list then why did you do what you did and pick up a bunch of worthless (my opinion) cards?  Do a test, get a penfed account set up, they are great.  Wait a day.  Then app for a card and report  back what happens.    I can already tell you what happens, no flipping way.  You ruined your chances of getting any real card with a big limit and/or low apr.  you have/had such great scores, really a shame. Be smart.  Amex Blue Everyday Card 2. Best Buy Visa 3. Barclaycard Ring 4. Penfed Platinum Rewards 5. Penfed Gold Visa

Message 20 of 72
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.