Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lesser-known cash back cards worth looking at

tag
pdxmike
Regular Contributor

Lesser-known cash back cards worth looking at

Most sites that list and compare cash back (and all other) cards focus on the big issuers that pay for referrals, but then you see random mentions in forums of other, more obscure cards with great deals. Is there a list somewhere that includes all of these lesser-known cards? Otherwise, do you know of any more obscure cash back cards worth considering? Here are a few:

Sallie Mae: 5% for gas and groceries, $250/mo cap; 5% at bookstores, including Amazon, $750/mo cap.

Upromise: 5% cash back in online mall on top of 5%+ discounts, 4% at restaurants, 3% at Exxon or Mobil; no caps.

Consumers CU: 3% at grocery and convenience stores with $6,000/yr rewards cap equal to $200,000 spending cap.

I've ignored anything at 2% or less, because there are already 2% off everything cards.

Any others?

Message 1 of 75
74 REPLIES 74
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: Lesser-known cash back cards worth looking at

US bank has a card you can choose your categories but you can't apply online

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 2 of 75
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Multiple Choice Variety of 3X Categories Smiley Happy

https://www.huntington.com/pas/creditcard/

Message 3 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Closingracer99 wrote:

Nerf+?

Message 4 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

As for obscure cash back cards, I can't think of any. I would not call Sallie Mae or Upromise obscure, especially on this site. CU cards with good benefits (Pen Fed's 5% unlimited gas card for example) might be a little obscure but they tend to be discussed every now and then. Some good cash back cards are below:

Amex BCP/BCE, Citi Double Cash, Fidelity Amex, US Bank Cash+, Discover IT, Chase Freedom, Barclay's Sallie Mae, Chase AARP and Pen Fed Visa gas card. 

Edit: Removed comment on Upromise. Some of its bonuses are limited to dining rewards network for dining, but I have limited experience with it. Note that other cards can be added to the dining rewards network for points bonus (not cash back) to several airlines/hotels/etc. Also not all restaurants are in the network. 

Message 5 of 75
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

Nerf+?

I was at one time so after Nerf+ having already a US Bank CC but now am just content to ride it out to see if they come out with something else new next time.

Message 6 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

The original Amex Blue Cash gives you 5% cashback at grocery stores and select drug stores after spending $6500 in a year. The downside is that the redemption rate before you get to $6500 is either only 1% (if it's a drug store or grocery store) or .5% everything else.

There is also JCB Marukai, but there are strings for that one as well. Spending thresholds to get up to 3% cashback, an annual fee, as well as geographic descriptions. 

A very underrated card is the Sam's Club Mastercard. 5% cashback on gas, 3% back on dining and travel, and 1% on everything else. There are strings attached to this one too (the biggest ones being that you have to maintain a Sam's Club membership, which has an annual fee, and you can only redeem your cashback  once a year in the form of a check). All in all though, a great card.

Huntington Voice allows you to pick one category per quarter (some of them being very useful, like utilities) to receive 3% back on. But that card also has geographic restrictions.

EDIT: I accidentally said initially 5% back on groceries with Sam's Club MC. I meant to say gas. Sorry!

Message 7 of 75
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

Nerf+?

Idk I'm not able to get one so I never bothered to follow it lol

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 8 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi myfico users,

I have been a long time avid reader, and this is my first post Smiley Happy Any good advice on a travel card for maximum cash back  for leisure travellers? maybe 2-3 times a year, one internationally. The usual choice of CSP or Barclay arrival + seems to be too steep of an annual fee for my budget. 

I have the amex HHonors with no AF , but that has a FTF (damn Smiley Sad ) , and I am not sure I would get or stay in a Hilton wherever I go, they can be pretty expensive . So looking for the ideal card to put my flight and hotel spendings on and get some decent rewards Smiley Happy

My FAKO is 752.

Message 9 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@arijitnit wrote:

Hi myfico users,

I have been a long time avid reader, and this is my first post Smiley Happy Any good advice on a travel card for maximum cash back  for leisure travellers? maybe 2-3 times a year, one internationally. The usual choice of CSP or Barclay arrival + seems to be too steep of an annual fee for my budget. 

I have the amex HHonors with no AF , but that has a FTF (damn Smiley Sad ) , and I am not sure I would get or stay in a Hilton wherever I go, they can be pretty expensive . So looking for the ideal card to put my flight and hotel spendings on and get some decent rewards Smiley Happy

My FAKO is 752.

AAA Member Rewards from BOA. 3X Cashback on AAA and other travel purchases, as well as 2X on gas, grocery, and drug store purchases.

There is also a second, less publicized version of the Chase AARP that gives you 3% back on travel.

I think both of them have FTFs though... 

Message 10 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.