Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lesson in credit...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lesson in credit...

OP I suggest you call Bofa to confirm what you've been told was correct. I have been told by both Chase and Discover that the way it works is, because of the rules, most CC companies apply the minimum payment due to the BT balance, and anything above that has to be applied to the portion with the highest APR (not balance as you were told.). Keep in mind that, with most CC, you lose the interest free grace period on purchases if you have BT balance. Anything you put on the card accrue interest as soon as it is posted. That may be why you were charged!
Message 11 of 22
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:
Sorry OP. That is exactly why I don't make purchases on a card with a bt balance. I sd it.

I've made purchases while having a BT ongoing for both your favorite creditor Barclays and CapOne and have never had an issue or been charged interest.

And how did you accomplish that Irish?

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:
Sorry OP. That is exactly why I don't make purchases on a card with a bt balance. I sd it.

I've made purchases while having a BT ongoing for both your favorite creditor Barclays and CapOne and have never had an issue or been charged interest.

Dunno  Maybe they love me? Smiley Embarassed

Message 13 of 22
Aahz
Established Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

It's not Irish, it's Barclays and CapOne.  They both permit this while BofA and Chase do not.  I just quoted their terms in a different thread a few days back.  The lesson to be learned is to be sure to read the BT terms at the time you initiate the transfer.  Not all banks are the same.

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aahz wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

It's not Irish, it's Barclays and CapOne.  They both permit this while BofA and Chase do not.  I just quoted their terms in a different thread a few days back.  The lesson to be learned is to be sure to read the BT terms at the time you initiate the transfer.  Not all banks are the same.

Hey now, I preferred thinking that they love me.

But you are correct.

Message 15 of 22
Aahz
Established Contributor

Doesn't mean they don't love you, Irish.  They just show it in other ways Smiley Wink

Besides, the love of all us MyFICOers should be enough to warm your heart.

Message 16 of 22
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

🙄🙄🙄 attitude doesn't affect credit score! Thank goodness
Message 17 of 22
Namaste7
Established Contributor

@Kennie02 wrote:

I just got off the phone with BofA.... I am not thrilled... I had a promotional APR on my card for purchases which expired on 3/4/16. A few months ago they sent me a BT promo offer. I took advantage of it. I made extra payments to make sure that my purchase promo balances was paid off prior to the expiration of 3/4/16. I PIF this balance in 12/2015 or so I thought. I noticed that I had been charged interest this last statement period. After a failed chat and two reps over the phone I ultimately learned that I was set up to pay interest. Apparently, when I make payments over the minimum payment, they are automatically allocated to the larger balance. Obviously my BT of $2000 was larger than my balance of $800. So when I made my payments to cover the purchase balance and then some these payments were applied to my BT. The rep said these payment allocation rules are set by the gov't and even if I called I would not be able to indicate which balances I wanted my payments applied to. I find this difficult to believe because I have never had a problem doing so. However, my experience is limited to my Amazon Store Card and other store cards. Anyway, now that I am being charged interest I get to pay off this balance first. Needless to say, I will not be taking any of their BT offers, making any purchases until the current BT offer is up... I don't want to be told of a new rule later... 

To avoid interest, you would have needed to pay off the entire balance as payment allocation rules would not have applied a lump payment wholly to the BT/promotional rate when a purchase balance exists; excess payments over the minimum are allocated to balances with different interest rates. So as long as you had a purchase balance subject to the standard agreement rate, that balance would receive a payment allocation each payment. This differs from deferred financing offers where payments can be applied wholly to that amount to avoid interest before the end of the financing period. 

I'm surprised BofA was not willing to provide some adjustment. I've found them to be reasonable when requesting some level of relief. 

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 18 of 22
amakol
Regular Contributor

@Aahz wrote:

How can B of A and Chase be against this?

Allocating payment above the minimum to the highest interest rate first can't be denied by terms of service or cardholder agreements.

Yes, I know big banks don't hesitate to "misinterpret" the law but this would be a blatant violation of the CARD act.

EQ 740 FICO, 4 INQ | EX 736 FICO, 5 INQ | TU 745 FICO, 5 INQ | CL $175K | AAOA 4 Years
Message 19 of 22
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

Dunno  Maybe they love me? Smiley Embarassed

Luck of the Irish!☺

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.