Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lesson learned about Authorized User

tag
mato01
Regular Contributor

Lesson learned about Authorized User

I had added my daughter as an authorized user on my AMEX card. She had an insurance claim, and needed a rental car. She used the card as a deposit, she thought, as the insurance company was going to pay the bill.

I wasn't too concerned, because her usage limit was set to $200.00

Its taking forever them to fix her car, parts, etc, and so today I was surprised when there was a charge (never went pending) to my AMEX for $1780.00.

When I called AMEX on how this charge could possibly go through for $1780.00, when her limit was set to $200.00, the CSR rep stated that they assumed it was an EMERGENCY, because the rental company had kept trying different amounts, $300, then $500, then $700, then $900, all which had been rightfully declined, and finally they approved the $1780.00.The funny thing is that I never received the notification of the charge. If I hadn't looked at my account because I had just made a payment I would not have known.

Wow.

Even though I will eventually get my money back from her insurance company (hopefully), it bums me because I try to be careful about how much I have reporting on  a given card.

Anyway, just surprised that this occured. Like I said "Lesson Learned".

In the Garden until 6/1/2016
Mar 2014: All Scores in the 520 range.
FEB 2016: myFICO: EQ 660, TU 682 EX 681
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lesson learned about Authorized User

Emergency or not they should have contacted you before approving. my .02.
Message 2 of 22
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Weird as this is the purpose to setting up an AU limit with Amex so they can't go over budget..   Should of been contacted or just keep on declining it. I would  be calling the rental car place and giving them a piece of my mind as well.

Message 3 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@mato01 wrote:

I had added my daughter as an authorized user on my AMEX card. She had an insurance claim, and needed a rental car. She used the card as a deposit, she thought, as the insurance company was going to pay the bill.

I wasn't too concerned, because her usage limit was set to $200.00

Its taking forever them to fix her car, parts, etc, and so today I was surprised when there was a charge (never went pending) to my AMEX for $1780.00.

When I called AMEX on how this charge could possibly go through for $1780.00, when her limit was set to $200.00, the CSR rep stated that they assumed it was an EMERGENCY, because the rental company had kept trying different amounts, $300, then $500, then $700, then $900, all which had been rightfully declined, and finally they approved the $1780.00.The funny thing is that I never received the notification of the charge. If I hadn't looked at my account because I had just made a payment I would not have known.

Wow.

Even though I will eventually get my money back from her insurance company (hopefully), it bums me because I try to be careful about how much I have reporting on  a given card.

Anyway, just surprised that this occured. Like I said "Lesson Learned".

While the rental company activity is clearly wrong (and even goes against 'best practices' for merchants), what really gets my attention with your scenario is that you set a limit of $200... that should have been it - end of story. 

If Amex "felt" there was an emergency, they should have contacted you for an override - we're talking about a rental here, not a surgeon delaying operating because the hospital can't run the card.  I might be in the minority here, but if it were me I would be raising hell with Amex about that alone.  At a minimum, you deserve an explanation in writing of what happened, and what they have done to prevent it from happening on your account in the future.

Now if your daughter called them and used 'social engineering' to have them override her limit, that's a bit different,... but even that isn't excusable if you (the primary card holder, and person responsible for paying) had clearly set a limit beforehand.  Using the 'emergency' argument, pretty much anything short of a Macy's spree could be 'forced' though.  I have visions of a rogue cab pulling this stunt and Amex thinking, "well, she must really need that cab...". 

All that being said, I agree with you that as long as the insurance does their part everything should be fine (and most likely they'll be prompt - I've dealt with this kind of thing before).  I just expected more out of Amex.  Smiley Sad

Edited to add:  that you never got a notification of a 'pending' charge and it just posted indicates that the rental agency might have submitted the charge without an auth code, which is a big no-no.  If I'm right, that is grounds for a chargeback if you wanted to pursue it.  Of course, the rental company would then turn to your daughter for immediate payment, so that might not be desirable, but you do have options.

Message 4 of 22
azguy13
Senior Contributor

That is extremely obnoxious of Amex. If they felt that it was an emergency, the first thing they should have done is called the primary card holder (you) and requested the charge be approved. The scenario makes me wonder if they have a variation of the "black box" that approves after the 4th or 5th time the charge is requested. I doubt it, but I feel that there had to have been something out of the ordinary going on. I have not heard of this happening before. 

Message 5 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@azguy13 wrote:

That is extremely obnoxious of Amex. If they felt that it was an emergency, the first thing they should have done is called the primary card holder (you) and requested the charge be approved. The scenario makes me wonder if they have a variation of the "black box" that approves after the 4th or 5th time the charge is requested. I doubt it, but I feel that there had to have been something out of the ordinary going on. I have not heard of this happening before. 

+1

I edited my comment as you were submitting yours to say the same thing.  It looks like the rental place forced the transation through, which is fine as long as nobody contests it.  During my retail days we could do that as an absolute last resort, kind of like a 'Hail-Mary', so to speak, but there was absolutely no recourse if there was a chargeback.  That would explain why the OP never got a notification.

If the OP contests it, the rental place would then pursue the daughter (or the insurance company).  Personally, as annoying as it is, since it is actually 'legit' the only way I would do a chargeback is if I wanted to use another card (for points, rewards, etc.) 

Message 6 of 22
Scupra
Super Contributor

You would think it was a concern for fraud, not an emergency to approve..

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scupra wrote:

Exactly.

Message 8 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Scupra wrote:

Exactly... that's why the more I think about it, I doubt it was approved at all - it was just submitted.  Definitely a risky way to do business from the merchant's perspective.

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

chanting:

"CHARGEBACK, CHARGEBACK, CHARGEBACK, CHARGEBACK!"

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.