Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lesson learned about Authorized User

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lesson learned about Authorized User

Please keep us posted if you contact Amex, op! Would LOVE to hear what they say.
Message 21 of 22
bch238
Regular Contributor

Re: Lesson learned about Authorized User

@UncleB wrote:

@bch238 wrote:

Even though I will eventually get my money back from her insurance company (hopefully), it bums me because I try to be careful about how much I have reporting on  a given card.

Wow, that's a big rental bill.  Insurance coverage for rental reimbursement typically is limited to 20 or 30 days at some maximum daily rate stated in the policy.

The daily limitation I also have some personal experience with (unfortunately).  If you're at fault and your own policy is footing the bill, there will be a maximum limit on the number of days, daily rate limit, etc.  Any amount over this is out-of-pocket.

However, if another party is at fault and their policy is covering the bill, the limits generally don't apply - they have to make you 'whole' however long it takes if their people determine the car isn't a total loss. 

I once had a car in the shop for 58 days, and Enterprise had to re-up my rental in three-day increments (it was direct bill to the insurance company).  The insurance company also called the body shop every three days for 'status' on my repair.  Thankfully all of this was done behind the scenes, but the body shop manager at the dealership told me it was a little 'intense'... LOL.  (It took so long because twice a replacement hood was delivered damaged, and had to be re-ordered).

Correct. The reason is that your relationship with your own insurance company is contractual--you get the coverage you paid for.  If another driver is at fault, then (in most states) their liability includes your loss of use, which is calculated as the cost to rent a like kind and quality vehicle for that period of time reasonably necessary to make repairs. You said your daughter's carrier was paying, so I assumed the first scenario.

FICO Scores (MARCH 2016): EQ 829; EX 825; TU 828
AmEx BCP $25,000; AmEx Platinum (NPSL); Barclaycard JetBlue Rewards $5,000; Bank of America Cash Rewards $27,500; Chase Sapphire Preferred $33,700; Chase Marriott Rewards Premier $15,000; Chase Freedom $12,000; Citi Prestige $30,500; Virgin America Premium $25,000; The Home Depot Card $20,500; Capital One Platinum $15,000
Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.