Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let balance post to CR or not before PIF

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let balance post to CR or not before PIF

So I have a new NFCU CC with 10K limit, I did a BT from a CrapOne card for $400 and will pay that off next week. I plan on using this card for a side business I have where I will be able to charge up 4-5k and pay off right away. My question is to maximize FICO scoring AND appeal to creditors to get CLIs in the future should I let the high balance post THEN pay off? Should I partially pay off or just charge and then as soon as I can make a payment PIF. 

Myonly other debt is about $800 and leaving that on the card its on at 0% keeps my total util at about 7%

\TIA!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Let balance post to CR or not before PIF

Following...I had this very question on the tip of my tongue earlier today, and I'm very interested in seeing some responses!

Message 2 of 6
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I have a new NFCU CC with 10K limit, I did a BT from a CrapOne card for $400 and will pay that off next week. I plan on using this card for a side business I have where I will be able to charge up 4-5k and pay off right away. My question is to maximize FICO scoring AND appeal to creditors to get CLIs in the future should I let the high balance post THEN pay off? Should I partially pay off or just charge and then as soon as I can make a payment PIF. 

Myonly other debt is about $800 and leaving that on the card its on at 0% keeps my total util at about 7%

\TIA!

It would have just been easier to just pay the cap1 card instead of transfering it, just my opinion. But you could let the statment cut then pay it off.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It would have been but I included that in my app figuring it may help my chances. 

Message 4 of 6
bradlin
Established Member

High balance is reported. Not sure if it's an input in Fico scoring but it may well be. It's important if manually reviewed or you need to recon. I would let it report and then PIF. Oddly I have high balances in excess of my CL and Chase in particular seems to let you do it  they let me charge over $2k in excess of my CL with no fees then months later I got a CLI to cover that high balance - after I paid it down considerably. However that did not have to report to a CRA as their internal system would have known that anyway.

I'd say a human analyst would like to see you put $5k on it and you PIF.

Message 5 of 6
red259
Super Contributor

I got an auto cli on my freedom by running up the balance and PIF before statement cuts. So if you are trying to get a CLI on that particular card they will know how much you are using it and I see no reason to let a large balance report. Now if you are trying to get a CLI for other cards you may want to let the statement cut with a large balance once and then immediately PIF. I used to do this once with newer cards just to set a high mark. Its not something you would want to do month after month as your score will tank due to high util. At the moment since I am not applying for anything I have balances reporting all over the place and just keeping overall util to a reasonable amount, but when I am about two months away from an app cycle I become hyper vigilent to maximize credit score.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.