Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let non-authorized user use card?

tag
inthewoods
New Contributor

Let non-authorized user use card?

My wife is going on a business trip and will spend $3000 at a hotel, which she will then expense.

I have a Citi Prestige which gets 3 TYP / $ spent on hotels. Unfortunately, she is not an authorized user and she leaves tomorrow, so there is no time to make her one.

Can I authorize her to use the card without being an AU? What’s the likelihood that the hotel will decline the card since it carries my name (we do not share a last name)? Do you think she’ll have trouble  expensing it if it isn’t her name on the credit card receipt? Would it help or hurt were I to give her a power of attorney?

Are there other risks or moral quandries I should consider? I am sure Citi would object based on their terms and conditions, but they will be crying all the way to the bank…

The more I think about it, it seems like a bad idea. Should I just have her use the CSP where she is an authorized user?

Edit: I read the Citi agreement and it states:

— “authorized user” means any person you allow to use your account.

Authorized Users. You may request additional cards for authorized users. You must pay us for all charges made by authorized users. You must pay us even if you did not intend to be responsible for those charges. You must notify us to withdraw any permission you give to an authorized user to use your account.

We may cancel an authorized user’s right to use your account at any time. We may do this for any reason; without prior notice to you; and without prior notice to the authorized user. You also may cancel an authorized user’s right to use your account at any time. To do this, you must notify us in writing of the cancellation. After a cancellation, you must promptly retrieve any credit cards, balance transfer checks, or cash convenience checks given to the authorized user. You must promptly destroy all unless we tell you otherwise. You must do these things whether the cancellation was begun by us or you. When you begin the cancellation, you must also inform the authorized user of the cancellation. You must tell the authorized user to stop using the card and your account immediately. If an authorized user brings a claim of wrongful cancellation against us because of a cancellation begun by you, the claim is your responsibility. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless us and our parent company, subsidiaries and affiliates from any losses, damages or other liability arising from the claim.

This makes it sound as though the fee is only for the additional card and simply my “allowing any person to use my account” makes them a de facto authorized user. I can’t find anything in the agreement that says she may not use my card with my authorization.

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Let non-authorized user use card?

Just give her the card. If they want to make a big stink about it they can call you for authorization.
Message 2 of 34
jm1991
Regular Contributor

Contact the hotel and ask for a credit card authorization for to be sent. Ull probably need ro fax or email it with a copy of the front and back of your card and I.d. just make a copy before she leaves. That way she has no problem using it at the hotel at least.
Marriott Premier SV: $8,500 Amex blue sky: $24,000 BoA BBR: $3,900 BoA Cash Rewards: $9,100 Ritz Carlton: $5,000 Discover: $5,000
MyFico Score:752
Message 3 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im glad you asked this. My boyfriend is about to leave on a trip and I told him he could take my QS1 to use for gas and stuff (might as well get the rewards, right)? I don't think he will have trouble using it to pay at the pump, do you?
Message 4 of 34
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I let other people use my cards all the time. so few people check names on cards now.

the only time I've been asked for an ID with my card in the past year and a half is if I'm buying alcohol (and that's not to confirm the name on my credit card lol) and at Disney if I try to use the annual passholder discount. they don't check my name against the credit card, they check it against the annual pass to make sure that I'm not taking 10% I don't deserve Smiley Wink
Message 5 of 34
zerbherb
Established Contributor

don't worry tell her enjoy the trip. i have done this in israel a bunch of times, if your liscences have the same last name its not big deal.

;
Discover it 13300 cl nov 2014/ Everyday 26700 k march 2015/CSP 7.5k Feb 2016/ Freedom Unlimited 7k july 207
Message 6 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Im glad you asked this. My boyfriend is about to leave on a trip and I told him he could take my QS1 to use for gas and stuff (might as well get the rewards, right)? I don't think he will have trouble using it to pay at the pump, do you?

Out of curiosity, why the QS1 and not the BCE?  Also, there will be no trouble at the pump.

Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@zerbherb wrote:

don't worry tell her enjoy the trip. i have done this in israel a bunch of times, if your liscences have the same last name its not big deal.

OP clearly stated that he doesn't share the same last name with his wife though.  I believe it will be an issue.  

OP just have her take the CSP...

Message 8 of 34
northface28
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Just give her the card. If they want to make a big stink about it they can call you for authorization.

And how will the hotel know who theyre are calling? Its not a "big stink" if people did their jobs and checked ID, we would have less fraud.

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 9 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@northface28 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

And how will the hotel know who theyre are calling? Its not a "big stink" if people did their jobs and checked ID, we would have less fraud.

You're not supposed to check IDs for credit card use.  VISA and the other banks even have instructions in their merchant guide that says retailers cannot refuse to accept your card if you do not provide ID

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.