cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's be real, is it that easy to get an Amex charge card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let's be real, is it that easy to get an Amex charge card?

Okay long story short, I recommended two of my friends who wanted to get their foot in the door with Amex and also discipline themselves to PIF to get a charge card. Without given much detail into their credit profile. I do know both of them had a score of 650-680 range with a couple of years of established credit, no baddies whatsoever and already a couple of okay limit cards. Sounds fair and okay right? Well....I was hyping them up on how they will likely for sure be approved as "Amex charge cards are easier than their revolvers" and how a lot of people get approved for Amex charge cards easily etc etc

Results were they both got denied and I looked stupid predicting it was an easy approval for both lol.

So let's be real, how hard is it to get a charge card for Amex? I have one already and I always thought their requirements weren't that tough from the general consensus and from what I've read etc. I know every person credit profile varies, but has anyone else been denied an Amex charge card before? I rarely hear people do lol. Maybe Amex prestigious standards are back! Jk

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Let's be real, is it that easy to get an Amex charge card?

If they don't yet have the discipline to PIF, perhaps their profiles look like bigger risks for charge cards than their scores indicate.

Message 2 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe they weren't honest about their profile because 650-680 scores with a few years of history tells me there are definitely some baddies. They should be about 720-780 if they truly don't have any.

And they're easy to get but they aren't handed out like candy on Halloween.
Message 3 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express is the hardest card to obtai. If you don't have excellent credit and a long history- you won't get one.

Message 4 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Many things could cause a denial. Maybe they had high Utilization or baddies like the other posters stated. Regardless, you tried. Don't forget to send invitations through your Amex account. You gain like 5k MR if they get approved Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 39
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

American Express is the hardest card to obtai. If you don't have excellent credit and a long history- you won't get one.

I don't want to contradict you, but I don't think it's the hardest card to obtain nor do you need excellent credit, I believe it all depends on your credit profile.

I got approved for the Amex PRG last year with Experian 635 and 10+ inquiries. I have had great 3 years of history when applying, but before then all my student loans (9) were reporting 90+ lates 3 times on each tradeline. And I had a paid judgement from 2012.

So even though it's not the easiest card to get, I think credit profile and other data points play a major factor. Mine was clearly far from excellent, lol. 

Message 6 of 39
elim
Senior Contributor

I was 675 EX with a 13k Tax Lien when approved for PRG with option to float.

But I was smart informed enough to check the pre-qual before pulling the trigger (it took a month or two to show up).

Message 7 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jon85 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't want to contradict you, but I don't think it's the hardest card to obtain nor do you need excellent credit, I believe it all depends on your credit profile.

I got approved for the Amex PRG last year with Experian 635 and 10+ inquiries. I have had great 3 years of history when applying, but before then all my student loans (9) were reporting 90+ lates 3 times on each tradeline. And I had a paid judgement from 2012.

So even though it's not the easiest card to get, I think credit profile and other data points play a major factor. Mine was clearly far from excellent, lol. 

Ever since they loss Costco, they been letting anyone in Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 39
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, I will contradict you!   No, it's not hard and you certainly don't need either excellent credit or a long history.   But it's also not automatic, some profiles won't be accepted.

To the OP: since backdating went away, there is no advantage to the "foot in the door" idea (and never was for other issuers).  Don't get charge cards with high AF unless you can use the benefits or in the case of PRG, be willing to close after the first year.   Apply for the card(s) that you actually can benefit from, when your report is good enough.

Message 9 of 39
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Maybe they weren't honest about their profile because 650-680 scores with a few years of history tells me there are definitely some baddies. They should be about 720-780 if they truly don't have any.

And they're easy to get but they aren't handed out like candy on Halloween.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ good job 2011XTERROR

I agree there's more to this story and w/o the info of going into their profiles in details which you should have included I can only summarize 2 things 

1) By your statement of teaching them the discipline to pay in full with a charge suggest they currently don't

Thus they're probably carrying high UTL

2) With other larger TL's and years of history and scores as stated again either baddies, DTI or UTL are presently holding scores down

As far as charge cards go anyone can get one above 650 with the right profile even with baddies 

So OP don't feel bad that they didn't get approved but next time get all the info including maybe looking at a fresh CR and if they aren't willing to provide 

Then guess what apply at your own risk because something stinks here and you can't give accurate odds with less than all the facts ....Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.