cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's be real, is it that easy to get an Amex charge card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Let's be real, is it that easy to get an Amex charge card?

@Anonymous wrote:

If you look at the numbers, American Express cards do have the most stringent requirements. That's why when you tell people that they can get approved for an American Express the same way you can get approved for other credit cards, Chase, Citi, Capital One, Discover.. and they don't get approved. American Express is different. Looking at the numbers.

Chase and Citi are far more difficult than Amex. Looking at the numbers.

Message 21 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have also found Chase (and Citi) to be much harder to get in with than AMEX. With 8 months of credit history, I got an AMEX BCE with a $2000 limit and the lowest APR. At 10 months, after getting rejected 4 times by Chase, I finally got the Freedom with a $600 limit and the highest APR (plus I bank with Chase). I had previously been rejected by Citi as well.

This isn't meant to take anything away from AMEX as a company, though - I really like them (for their customer service, among other things).

Message 22 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Take two students: one who studied everyday leading up to an exam, and another who procrastinated or didn't study at all.

How "easy" or "hard" the exam was then becomes a matter of preparedness and opinion.

Same goes with credit and charge cards in that someone with a well manicured profile will have a much higher chance of qualifying than someone who has a few blemishes.

Message 23 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's easier to be approved for a Capital One credit card than it is to be approved for an American Express. We know this.

Message 24 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends. I had 2 AmEx cards before cap1 gave me a QS (they actually denied me lol)
Message 25 of 39
One2spooku
Valued Member

I see multiple people mentioning prequal. 

I got one and was rejected. Should have tried for a charge card I suppose. Couldn't turn down BCP. 

Message 26 of 39
NattyPButter
Contributor

I still don't understand why ppl want to get in with Amex so bad. IMO there's so many cards out there that offer better rewards. Amex needs to step their game up. 

Message 27 of 39
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

It is never just about the product or creditor.  It's about one's credit profile as well.  It's very easy to get any card with a profile that qualifies.  It is very difficult to get a card witha profile that does not.  Don't rely solely on what you perceive as the difficulty or ease for a given product or creditor.  Consider your credit profile.  Assess it.  Idenitifiy issues and work on addressing them.  Then apply once your credit is in shape.

AmEx's revolvers are generally easier to qualify for than thie revolvers but that doesn't mean that everyone will qualify.  An easy to qualify for product isn't going to blindly accept everyone.  Those with thin enough profiles and profiles with enough issues are going to end up getting denied even for products that are relatively easy to qualify for.

@Anonymous wrote:

Without given much detail into their credit profile. I do know both of them had a score of 650-680 range with a couple of years of established credit, no baddies whatsoever and already a couple of okay limit cards. Sounds fair and okay right? Well....I was hyping them up on how they will likely for sure be approved as "Amex charge cards are easier than their revolvers" and how a lot of people get approved for Amex charge cards easily etc etc

Results were they both got denied and I looked stupid predicting it was an easy approval for both lol.

Then there are sufficent issues with their credit profile as far as AmEx is concerned.  It's not just about score for one thing.   Also, a lot of people seem to overlook the impact of new accounts.  The profiles you describe sound to me like they wouldn't support much in the way of new accounts, depending on the specific creditor's underwriting criteria.

You cannot rely on "ease" or "a lot of people get approved for".  It's the individual's specific credit profile and whether or not it qualifies that matters.  If you're going to rely on anecdotal evidence from others then you need to carefully compare the credit profiles in question instead of just assuming that results will be similar.  Same applies for any product -- not just AmEx charge cards.

@Anonymous wrote:

I always thought their requirements weren't that tough from the general consensus and from what I've read etc.

Consensus doesn't matter.  AmEx (or any creditor, for that matter) doesn't approve based on consensus.  It considers the specific person's credit profile, income and possibly other factors to some degree.  Do not rely on consensus and spend more time learning to assess a given credit profile.  That said, even with more knowledge and experience you're not always going to accurately predict approvals for every creditor out there.

@Anonymous wrote:

I know every person credit profile varies, but has anyone else been denied an Amex charge card before?

If you know the former how do you not know the latter?  There are many that have been denied.  Ease of approval is relative, not guaranteed.  Relatively lower requirements doesn't mean that anyone will be approved.  Consider that there are those who get denied for secured cards.

@NattyPButter wrote:

I still don't understand why ppl want to get in with Amex so bad. IMO there's so many cards out there that offer better rewards. Amex needs to step their game up. 

Better is always highly subjecitve, regardless of topic.  Plenty find AmEx cards to suit their needs very well even if you do not.  Never assume better to be a universal matter of any topic.  Never assume that everyone finds what you find to be better, worse, etc.

There are also a number of other reasons.  Plenty want an AmEx for image, prestige, etc.  It really doesn't matter though.  What matters is what works for you.  Others will sort out what is best for them for whatever reasons.

Message 28 of 39
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@NattyPButter wrote:

Because they think of Amex as it was back in the old days, prestigious. You were really someone if you had an Amex, you know the good old days when all they had was the don't leave home without it charge cards. Those days are long over and they now give out SL's as low as $500, real prestige there. To me they are just a card issuer no different than any other major card issuer. I'll never understand the "I don't care what Amex card I get, I just want to get my foot in the door" mentality. 

Message 29 of 39
Andy77
Valued Contributor

I don't think its that easy.....here is my take.  I started re-establishing prime credit (citibank) two months after my ch 7 discharge in 2009.  

I app'd with Amex (3) times starting in 2014 and got declined only becauseof my bk on my report.

Some people here say they get approved with a ch 13, 5 years out, some people say ch 7, 8 years out, but, to me, Amex approvals make no sense.

When I app' I had lots of prime cards on my report (Fia, BofA, Citi)  

My two cents...I don't think I will be approved before the 8 yr mark despite my 90 point score jump when I go from 627 to 711, so I will wait, but I don't want to.

As one of the other members stated, it is ALL about the profile....

Message 30 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.