cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's just discuss the BT thing......

tag
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Let's just discuss the BT thing......

I believe that balance transfers trigger an Account Review many times. So if we have a lot of new accounts,inqs,etc the lender will see it then rather than a regular scheduled AR and may take action against us. Smiley Sad I think it's the sum of all parts. The bt along with the too many new accounts. At least it was in my case.

Message 41 of 62
NRB525
Super Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

I believe that balance transfers trigger an Account Review many times. So if we have a lot of new accounts,inqs,etc the lender will see it then rather than a regular scheduled AR and may take action against us. Smiley Sad I think it's the sum of all parts. The bt along with the too many new accounts. At least it was in my case.

A BT is a new risk to the bank, so it is likely they monitor how those perform.

Adding in the factor of many new accounts, that changes the discussion of whether BT cause reviews, expands it with another risk factor for the bank.

As with all discussions of credit tendencies, we need to be sure to include all the relevant factors in the review of what triggered any particular AA. Smiley Happy

In my case, having high balances at the time of a global credit crisis, that was the trigger for AA, CLD and changes in terms. It was not the many BT that I had done to and from all those cards in the prior years.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 42 of 62
baller4life
Super Contributor

Interesting to note that my number of new accounts had not changed from Barclays last sp of me. So I definitely think the bt was the deciding factor. And "escalating debt" was listed first on the letter I received.
Message 43 of 62
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

Adding in the factor of many new accounts, that changes the discussion of whether BT cause reviews, expands it with another risk factor for the bank.

As with all discussions of credit tendencies, we need to be sure to include all the relevant factors in the review of what triggered any particular AA. Smiley Happy

In my case, having high balances at the time of a global credit crisis, that was the trigger for AA, CLD and changes in terms. It was not the many BT that I had done to and from all those cards in the prior years.

A lot of good points that have been discussed in this thread, thank you for input as well NRB! I do believ and agree with Baller, that doing a BT does trigger and red flag ones card with the lender, and they are looked at more closely.  It does seem that if someone is hit with AA of any kind, it always follows a BT. Thats the trend Im following. 

Back to Cap1 and Discover..I mention them because if someone needs to do a BT for financial reasons that make sense to them, Cap1 is very solid on no AA in general.  I dont think Ive ever seen a thread started by someone that Cap1 took AA.  Ive only seen where they have "restricted" their new accts due to verifcation.  Cap1 is a great company if you need to do BT, and I rarely see posts of AA from Discover, only CLD's for non use.  I appreciate all your insight though. It helps people think things throughSmiley Happy

Message 44 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

A lot of good points that have been discussed in this thread, thank you for input as well NRB! I do believ and agree with Baller, that doing a BT does trigger and red flag ones card with the lender, and they are looked at more closely.  It does seem that if someone is hit with AA of any kind, it always follows a BT. Thats the trend Im following. 

Back to Cap1 and Discover..I mention them because if someone needs to do a BT for financial reasons that make sense to them, Cap1 is very solid on no AA in general.  I dont think Ive ever seen a thread started by someone that Cap1 took AA.  Ive only seen where they have "restricted" their new accts due to verifcation.  Cap1 is a great company if you need to do BT, and I rarely see posts of AA from Discover, only CLD's for non use.  I appreciate all your insight though. It helps people think things throughSmiley Happy

+1

Message 45 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Late August my utilization went from about 4,000-5,000 to over 11,000, I had a family emergency. I contacted Barclay and transferred 5,000 from my Arrival+ to my RMC, I needed to cash one of those convenience checks. I went ahead and deposited 5,000 in my bank account, total owed 5,200. My utilization skyrocketed; TU Fico went from high 740’s to 703. As of today, I owe 1,800, so over the two months I paid down heavily.  I was nervous every time I logged into my account, I thought for sure I was going to be AA or CLD, but so far so good. I’ve opened six accounts this year; out of the six accounts 4 are 6+ plus months old. If they do decide to AA or CLD, I’d be okay; Arrival+ will be axed in March anyway.

Last year I’d did a BT to my Amazon Visa, CL was 3,000 total owed was 12 or 1,300. I received a fraud alert because it was the first BT ever, so I assume it wasn’t the norm for me. I was in no rush to pay it off, 100-150 a month, once it got down to 400, I paid it in full.  I went from micromanaging my accounts to not caring anymore; I’d prefer to show usage now. In my opinion, all the micromanaging I did could have really hurt me when I was in a time of need.

Message 46 of 62
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Late August my utilization went from about 4,000-5,000 to over 11,000, I had a family emergency. I contacted Barclay and transferred 5,000 from my Arrival+ to my RMC, I needed to cash one of those convenience checks. I went ahead and deposited 5,000 in my bank account, total owed 5,200. My utilization skyrocketed; TU Fico went from high 740’s to 703. As of today, I owe 1,800, so over the two months I paid down heavily.  I was nervous every time I logged into my account, I thought for sure I was going to be AA or CLD, but so far so good. I’ve opened six accounts this year; out of the six accounts 4 are 6+ plus months old. If they do decide to AA or CLD, I’d be okay; Arrival+ will be axed in March anyway.

Last year I’d did a BT to my Amazon Visa, CL was 3,000 total owed was 12 or 1,300. I received a fraud alert because it was the first BT ever, so I assume it wasn’t the norm for me. I was in no rush to pay it off, 100-150 a month, once it got down to 400, I paid it in full.  I went from micromanaging my accounts to not caring anymore; I’d prefer to show usage now. In my opinion, all the micromanaging I did could have really hurt me when I was in a time of need.

Thank you for sharing your experience!! I hope the family emergency has passed, and its all ok now. 

Message 47 of 62
coachmiff
Regular Contributor

The more and more I read these posts the more I am sure their are a large number of parnoid people on this sight  I have been doing bt's for the past 5 years moving around 45k from one 0% offer to another--discover,nfcu,boa, nasa, usaa, and barkclays(they just raised my cl 5k at 89% util!).  Keep your util on these bt's at 89% and the only aa you will receive is you should have done it a long time ago!  Don't mess with amex! 

Navy Siggy Cash Rewards 25K , Navy plat visa 25k,navy go 25k, Navy Check 15K, , USAA Am Exp 18K, USAA MC Rate Advantage 18K, Discover IT 18.5K, PayPal Extras MC 7.5K, Chase Military Star MC 2.5K, Military Star 8.05k, Wallmart discover 7.5k, Amex bce 25k,Boa cash rewards25k, southwest chase 4k, nasa cr 30k,nasa rew 5k,barc rewards 25k=279k+ scores 750 across the board
Message 48 of 62
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@coachmiff wrote:

The more and more I read these posts the more I am sure their are a large number of parnoid people on this sight  I have been doing bt's for the past 5 years moving around 45k from one 0% offer to another--discover,nfcu,boa, nasa, usaa, and barkclays(they just raised my cl 5k at 89% util!).  Keep your util on these bt's at 89% and the only aa you will receive is you should have done it a long time ago!  Don't mess with amex! 

Everyone is different, and you and a few others may have scooted by without any AA, but this thread is just trying to bring attention to the possiblity of it happening, and which lenders get spooked the most. Anytime you do a BT to another lender, they are assumming debt, and have reason to be spooked. Im glad in your case everything went hunky dory for you.  But there are a lot of folks that it doesnt.  Thank you for sharing. 

Message 49 of 62
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

Well, just cause a lot of people here may be paranoid when it comes to AA, that doesn't mean AA ain't coming Smiley Happy I mean, my credit-to-income ratio and amount of unsecured credit isn't but a fraction of what a lot of people on the boards here have, but even I found myself hitting a few of the red flags in that Experian white paper on busting out that was posted a few days ago. So yes, an average CC user probably has no business worrying about AA, but these boards are stacked with non-average credit users since people here seem to overwhelmingly fall squarely into two groups: rebuilders and, let's call them, credit enthusiasts who collect CL(I)s like some people collect stamps; point being: most people on these borads are more risky (or at least could be perceived to be such by bank algorithms) to banks whether due to the derogs they have or the amount of open credit/fairly aggressive credit seeking (as compared to the average consumer) so, a little bit of paranoia is not entirely unwarranted.

Message 50 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.