Did you mean: 

Let's just discuss the BT thing......

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Let's just discuss the BT thing......

My personal take on BT's is this......

NO lender likes them!! They may say its OK, but they really dont want you to do it. The more research I continue to do on this topic, the more Im seeing that CCC really just dont want you to do one to them. 

Im seeing alot of AA from CCC recently, and the only that has really changed with the OP's threads regarding the AA was a..........BT. 

Yes. CCC advertise them, and say they LOVE them...Why? IDK! But they really dont want you to do one to them, or if you do, not more than 30% of your CL.  We know Barclays, and Amex dont like them for sure. I also think there are more specifics, because some people do BT's all the time, and never had an issue or AA, and then some get the AA.

Then why have 0% BT offers then you ask?? again, IDK. 

SO...in conclusion, to be safe on not raise red flags, just dont do a BT. There's my take. I will also continue to do my research on this topic, and note similaries in OP threads, and the CCC. 

Message 1 of 62
61 REPLIES 61
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Let's just discuss the BT thing......

Keep your research going pizza because we read it loud and clear.

With some lenders, maybe more of them now then before? it's almost can become as risky as cash advances.

Maybe they are beginning to group the two together, who knows, but definitely worth discussing and sharing experiences especially given some recent posts chiming in with disappointments from taking out a BT.

Amex + Barclays more noticeable?

Message 2 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not sure if I can agree, pizza. For me, in general, BT is just like car or mortage refi. A way for them to do business. There are cards that are created exclusively for BT (Chase Slate 0% APR $0 fee, or maybe PSECU 3.99% APR $0 fee), and there are lenders that send out BT check frequently (PNC, Barclays). Barclays even gave me a CLI AND a BT (edit: BT offer) when I called in and said that I want to do a BT with them (and I actually carry > 70% Ulti for a while).

Each of the banks probably have a different take on risk and whether you do BT to their account. I think it's too early to conclude that they all hate BT. Though for Amex it might be true, they say that you can do BT to their card but they only provide tools to do it on the application page, after that you will have to call in.

Message 3 of 62
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I am not sure if I can agree, pizza. For me, in general, BT is just like car or mortage refi. A way for them to do business. There are cards that are created exclusively for BT (Chase Slate 0% APR $0 fee, or maybe PSECU 3.99% APR $0 fee), and there are lenders that send out BT check frequently (PNC, Barclays). Barclays even gave me a CLI AND a BT when I called in and said that I want to do a BT with them (and I actually carry > 70% Ulti for a while).

Each of the banks probably have a different take on risk and whether you do BT to their account. I think it's too early to conclude that they all hate BT. Though for Amex it might be true, they say that you can do BT to their card but they only provide tools to do it on the application page, after that you will have to call in.

this is why we are discussing this.  To have others chime in on their experiences.  With you being at 70% util....dont think for one seond Barclays isnt keeping an eye on you.  You may "ok" right now, but there have been reports here with peeps in your similar circumstances that once that BT was paid off, or near paid off, they got AA. 

Im just trying to keep my research going and noting things along the way.  Appreciate your input too! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 62
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

Keep your research going pizza because we read it loud and clear.

With some lenders, maybe more of them now then before? it's almost can become as risky as cash advances.

Maybe they are beginning to group the two together, who knows, but definitely worth discussing and sharing experiences especially given some recent posts chiming in with disappointments from taking out a BT.

Amex + Barclays more noticeable?

Right! CM7..  Im noticing it more and more, and im trying to note particulars along the way. 

Message 5 of 62
baller4life
Super Contributor

I was cld one month after bt to Barclays. The "escalating debt" as they called it made them nervous. SMH. I had always pif them. And once I decided to utilize a 0% offer I got penalized to the tune of $11k between Ring and SM.
Message 6 of 62
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Welcome to the weirdness of credit cards. They gladly invite you to do something but secretly hope you don't and worse they sometimes punish you for doing what they offered you, Yep makes perfect sense. I know for sure Barclay's is weird about BT's but they are just kinda weird anyway IMO. NFCU has been pretty easy and cool with BT's as well as CapOne. I have learned to read all I can here before making any moves these days, since I can get more info on a cards behavior here, than I can from the card itself sadly. 

Message 7 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

My personal take on BT's is this......

NO lender likes them!! They may say its OK, but they really dont want you to do it. The more research I continue to do on this topic, the more Im seeing that CCC really just dont want you to do one to them. 

Im seeing alot of AA from CCC recently, and the only that has really changed with the OP's threads regarding the AA was a..........BT. 

Yes. CCC advertise them, and say they LOVE them...Why? IDK! But they really dont want you to do one to them, or if you do, not more than 30% of your CL.  We know Barclays, and Amex dont like them for sure. I also think there are more specifics, because some people do BT's all the time, and never had an issue or AA, and then some get the AA.

Then why have 0% BT offers then you ask?? again, IDK. 

SO...in conclusion, to be safe on not raise red flags, just dont do a BT. There's my take. I will also continue to do my research on this topic, and note similaries in OP threads, and the CCC. 

So happy you started this thread, pizza1. One thing we notice in the forums I think are posts that seem to be a trend or a trend in the making. That seems to be what we are discussing. A trend in the making....It will be helpful if those who have experience with BT post their experiences including as much data as possible. I am thinking a picture of what is happening might develop.

Message 8 of 62
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@creditguy wrote:

Welcome to the weirdness of credit cards. They gladly invite you to do something but secretly hope you don't and worse they sometimes punish you for doing what they offered you, Yep makes perfect sense. I know for sure Barclay's is weird about BT's but they are just kinda weird anyway IMO. NFCU has been pretty easy and cool with BT's as well as CapOne. I have learned to read all I can here before making any moves these days, since I can get more info on a cards behavior here, than I can from the card itself sadly. 

CG...

Yes, my research is the same on Cap1 and Navy. Cap1 you can do freaking anything too, and they still love you.  You can BT, carry a 90% bal on their cards, make mim payments, and they continue to deliver like clockwork W/O any AA.  Cap1 is awesome in my books. !

Message 9 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, Barclays can still AA on me anytime. It's certain that there are a lot more AA reports on Barclays and Amex than other lenders. I don't have credit report monitor subscription with CRA anymore so I can't tell of Barclays is keeping an eye on me or not. Probably do if they give me auto CLI and send out BT check.

Here's my theory: Banks do track your payment and ulti overtime across your entire credit profile even though FICO scoring don't take that into account. From there, they may bucket you to either a) chronic high ultil but always meet obligations or b) almost always low ultil.

For case a), they can assess that the person probably has low risk of defaulting and they can make good money as the person carries balance.

This is probably true for most American, but not for most myfico member. I have to admit that before I knew about this forum I paid more credit card interest than I will ever gain back in cashback for the next 5-10 years.

case b), however, a BT or a spike in until will be flagged as risky behavior and AA will be swift.

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I am not sure if I can agree, pizza. For me, in general, BT is just like car or mortage refi. A way for them to do business. There are cards that are created exclusively for BT (Chase Slate 0% APR $0 fee, or maybe PSECU 3.99% APR $0 fee), and there are lenders that send out BT check frequently (PNC, Barclays). Barclays even gave me a CLI AND a BT when I called in and said that I want to do a BT with them (and I actually carry > 70% Ulti for a while).

this is why we are discussing this.  To have others chime in on their experiences.  With you being at 70% util....dont think for one seond Barclays isnt keeping an eye on you.  You may "ok" right now, but there have been reports here with peeps in your similar circumstances that once that BT was paid off, or near paid off, they got AA. 

Im just trying to keep my research going and noting things along the way.  Appreciate your input too! Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.