cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's just discuss the BT thing......

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Let's just discuss the BT thing......

@DantGwyrdd wrote:

Here's my experience (from less than two months ago): I did not one, but two BTs into my Discover which got my util on it to about 75% on a CL of $2000. About a week later I requested a CLI via the link and they gave me a $2000 increase.This is also more or less the same story as the story of how my Discover CL went from $1000 to $2000 with the difference that that time I didn't even have to ask for a CLI--did the BT, statement cut, made a payment of about 3x the minimum, CLI came in within a week or so.

Also, they advertised the BT option to me rather agressively IMO as I got at least one email and it was also in that area above "Pending Transactions" where stuff like "open a checking account and get $50" is when it's there among other things.

I also have had a BT with Discover without a "blip" on the screen. 

Message 21 of 62
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

Oh and to add: the BT offer was supposedly time limited (respond by 10/6), but when it expired they just replaced it with another one (same terms, respond by 12/1).

Message 22 of 62
baller4life
Super Contributor

Discover AA is quite rare. I've used their 0% bt offer a couple times in the past with no issues at all. As far as banks goes, I would say Cap One and Discover are the least likely to AA for bt.
Message 23 of 62
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
Discover AA is quite rare. I've used their 0% bt offer a couple times in the past with no issues at all. As far as banks goes, I would say Cap One and Discover are the least likely to AA for bt.

totally agree!!  +1

Message 24 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@DantGwyrdd wrote:

Here's my experience (from less than two months ago): I did not one, but two BTs into my Discover which got my util on it to about 75% on a CL of $2000. About a week later I requested a CLI via the link and they gave me a $2000 increase.This is also more or less the same story as the story of how my Discover CL went from $1000 to $2000 with the difference that that time I didn't even have to ask for a CLI--did the BT, statement cut, made a payment of about 3x the minimum, CLI came in within a week or so.

Also, they advertised the BT option to me rather agressively IMO as I got at least one email and it was also in that area above "Pending Transactions" where stuff like "open a checking account and get $50" is when it's there among other things.

I also have had a BT with Discover without a "blip" on the screen. 

I got my Discover in early 2013 and kept it up near the top of the original $4k CL with a stream of 0% BT offers. I didn't get any auto CLIs, and I didn't know about actually ASKING for a CLI since I hadn't found myfico yet. I paid off my 0% spring 2015 and started asking for CLIs in the gravy train days. I went from $5k to $6k to $7k to $7.5k and have gotten the 'not enough experience at this CL a couple times now. 

DH had been 'courted' by Disco with mailers at least once a week or so for some time. Just as I found myfico and we were looking at heloc/refi, he applied with me as an AU. approval for $15k (matched highest CU CL at the time) and BT'd about $8k immediately and have been carrying around $12-13k. With 12+ out of 15, they auto CLI'd him to $17k. We haven't asked for a CLI and I took myself off as an AU (now knowing there's no benefit to me being on a SD'd BT card.) 

Disco seems to LOVE BT's. And we've not paid them penny one if interest. 

Now I had been thinking of taking Barclay's up on their BT check at 1% fee on SM. But I decided to carry higher util for a month or two (on other cards at 0%...my disco with 0% purchase offer and newer EDP) and just pay down the tax bill I paid when I was thinking I'd use the BT offer. We're not really using the SM for much now, but I still don't want to poke the Barclay bear. (Plus DH doesn't need any more on his util and the SM is his.) 

Message 25 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is great food for thought as I am in the process of planning out the use for the Cap One BT Offer.  I have not taken advantage of any BTs outside of Discover and BofA and neither were made without a plan to pay off the balance completely within the 0% offer window.  In fact I too received a CLI on my Discover while still carrying a BT'd balance.

I can completely understand those cards that people are looking to avoid making a BT to.  I would avoid my Amex as well...haven't had luck yet with Barclay approval (although they have been sending me a lot of offers for the Rewards card).

I don't foresee any complications from Cap One if I take advantage of this offer since my Venture card that I was offered the transfer on will have a $0/$18K balance before I initiate the transfers.  I also put some pretty good usage through this card, sometimes PIF and sometimes carrying a balance so it will be nice to use it at 0% for the BT.  Let's just hope Cap One continues to play nice!

Message 26 of 62
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is great food for thought as I am in the process of planning out the use for the Cap One BT Offer.  I have not taken advantage of any BTs outside of Discover and BofA and neither were made without a plan to pay off the balance completely within the 0% offer window.  In fact I too received a CLI on my Discover while still carrying a BT'd balance.

I can completely understand those cards that people are looking to avoid making a BT to.  I would avoid my Amex as well...haven't had luck yet with Barclay approval (although they have been sending me a lot of offers for the Rewards card).

I don't foresee any complications from Cap One if I take advantage of this offer since my Venture card that I was offered the transfer on will have a $0/$18K balance before I initiate the transfers.  I also put some pretty good usage through this card, sometimes PIF and sometimes carrying a balance so it will be nice to use it at 0% for the BT.  Let's just hope Cap One continues to play nice!

you shouldnt have a issue with Cap1.  They are by FAR the best CCC outside of a CU to do a BT with. Ive never seen AA from Cap1. 

Message 27 of 62
Slim1Der
Frequent Contributor

Ok you guys are freaking me out about BT's and Barclays. Sorry but I'm too lazy to reaserch AA and FR so can someone please tell me what they are and if I'm at risk? I recently got a 0% BT offer on my Barclays AA card with checks and I have a limit of 10k. I BT's my balances over from my Nasa Cards and basically used up the limit to $9200. Are yall saying they're going to punishme me in some fashion for doing this? Someone please let me know.

Thx

EX - 751 EQ - 732 TU - 752
Over $200k in revolving credit lines
10% Overall UTI
BK Discharge Jan 2009
Message 28 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

you shouldnt have a issue with Cap1.  They are by FAR the best CCC outside of a CU to do a BT with. Ive never seen AA from Cap1. 

I'm counting on it...LOL.  Not to mention tomorrow is the 6-month mark on one of my QS cards, so hopefully I'll get a CLI and start the BT process on the Venture. 

Message 29 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Slim1Der wrote:

Ok you guys are freaking me out about BT's and Barclays. Sorry but I'm too lazy to reaserch AA and FR so can someone please tell me what they are and if I'm at risk? I recently got a 0% BT offer on my Barclays AA card with checks and I have a limit of 10k. I BT's my balances over from my Nasa Cards and basically used up the limit to $9200. Are yall saying they're going to punishme me in some fashion for doing this? Someone please let me know.

Thx

AA - Adverse Action

FR - Financial Review (I may have that somewhat wrong)

And since they're related:

CLD - Credit Line Decrease (because it may come up)

Balance Chasing - When they keep lowering your limit to what you've got outstanding after making payments 

You're likely fine, but you're less fine than if it was with Discover or Cap One (or B of A) 

Message 30 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.