Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let the Closing and FICO score drops begin

tag
m_jonis
Contributor

Let the Closing and FICO score drops begin

Wow, 3 accounts closed this month alone due to "inactivity".

Guess I better start using those cards.

But then if you use a card that hasn't been used in 3 months, FICO dings you big time because a "previously inactive account has activity"

So what's better?

Drop due to using the cards, or having your overall limits drop by about $25,000?

Finally made it to 813
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Let the Closing and FICO score drops begin

Use them every two months, so that they're active, and you don't get the dormant account ding. Smiley Wink

Seriously, though, sorry to hear this.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 11
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

No dings whatsoever. Most creditors close acconts due to usually 12 months inactivity. Just buy a piece of gum once a 3 months and you will be good.
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 3 of 11
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I put a monthly payment on every credit card - phone, utilities, charity etc.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@m_jonis wrote:

Wow, 3 accounts closed this month alone due to "inactivity".

Guess I better start using those cards.

But then if you use a card that hasn't been used in 3 months, FICO dings you big time because a "previously inactive account has activity"

So what's better?

Drop due to using the cards, or having your overall limits drop by about $25,000?

I don't know about the actual points of my score, but I know that when I started using cards that hadn't been used in over a year, I got a positive in "what's helping your score" for having recent use of credit cards.  

Message 5 of 11
m_jonis
Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Use them every two months, so that they're active, and you don't get the dormant account ding. Smiley Wink

The only bad thing about that, is that FICO will then decrease your score becuase 100% of your revolving accounts carry balances.

My score was 779 and with the closings its down to 751 now.  Not sure how much of a hit I'll take by using "inactive" cards or having them ALL be active.

Finally made it to 813
Message 6 of 11
m_jonis
Contributor

@Chopbrocoli wrote:
No dings whatsoever. Most creditors close acconts due to usually 12 months inactivity. Just buy a piece of gum once a 3 months and you will be good.

Do you subscribe to the fico score alerts?  Whenever I've gotten one for "previously inactive card shows activity" its been between a 10-20 point score drop.  Inactive seems to be over 2 months (for FICO scoring purposes).  For the credit cards, it's anywhere from 6-24 months (WAMU just closed my card because they said I hadn't had any activity for 6 months).

Finally made it to 813
Message 7 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

m_jonis wrote:

The only bad thing about that, is that FICO will then decrease your score becuase 100% of your revolving accounts carry balances.

My score was 779 and with the closings its down to 751 now.  Not sure how much of a hit I'll take by using "inactive" cards or having them ALL be active.

Oh, my goodness, no, pay your balances before they report! Don't ever let more than a couple of cards report!

Two different things going on here:

--has the card been used recently?
--has the card reported a balance?

Nearly every card I have (I have 11) has some sort of monthly activity, as MV mentioned. My proudest is a $5.50 recurring charge on my most despised problem card. But for almost every month, only one reports a balance, because I pay them off online 3-4 days before they're due to update.

It's all about being aware of each account's billing and statements cycle, and working it to your advantage.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you put charitable contribtions on credit cards?
Message 9 of 11
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

@m_jonis wrote:

Oh, my goodness, no, pay your balances before they report! Don't ever let more than a couple of cards report!

Two different things going on here:

--has the card been used recently?
--has the card reported a balance?

Nearly every card I have (I have 11) has some sort of monthly activity, as MV mentioned. My proudest is a $5.50 recurring charge on my most despised problem card. But for almost every month, only one reports a balance, because I pay them off online 3-4 days before they're due to update.

It's all about being aware of each account's billing and statements cycle, and working it to your advantage.

+1  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.