cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lets discuss TD Bank & Nordstroms concern...

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Lets discuss TD Bank & Nordstroms concern...

MODS>>>>PLEASE LEAVE HERE< THIS ACTUALLY PERTAINS TO ME REGARDING BOTH BANKS>>>THANKS!!

So, I had no idea until like 5 min ago reading someone elses post, that TD Bank (the creditor who backs Target card, and NEVER GIVES CLI's), is going to be taking over the credit card porfolio from Nordstroms.  I dont know I feel about this at all...

I burned Nordstroms in my Bk in 2013, and they let me back in a few months ago with a new card and a $500 cl for starters. I also burned Target Visa in my BK (TD Bank)., and been declined for the store card since then in apps. 

Now Im a little concerned hearing this..Im hoping they will keep my card open since they are acquiring it, but it will probably stay at $500 forever, or they could CLD it, or close it  knowing I burned them?  It could go either way... Am I overracting, or do I have good reason to be concerned? I will try and get a CLI on this card in the next few months. The switch is to take place late this year i believe. 

All I know is that I want to keep my Nordstroms card.. What do I need to be concerned with, or nothing at all? Talk me thru this people...thanks!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
northface28
Established Contributor

Re: Lets discuss TD Bank & Nordstroms concern...

If they close it, they close it. I wouldnt be worried about a store card, especially one @ $500 to a high end store like Nordstrom, I could get two pairs of jeans for $500, I wouldnt be concerned if I were you.

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 2 of 15
score_building
Senior Contributor

@northface28 wrote:

@If they close it, they close it. I wouldnt be worried about a store card, especially one @ $500 to a high end store like Nordstrom, I could get two pairs of jeans for $500, I wouldnt be concerned if I were you.

This. I get that it would suck if TD doesn't, since Nordies forgave but OP has plenty o other cards, no utility in hyper-focusing on AA with product- it won't change a situation. TD basically sucks anyway, so they may be doing you a favor if things go south after they acquire it...nothing to see here Smiley Wink

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@score_building wrote:

@northface28 wrote:

@If they close it, they close it. I wouldnt be worried about a store card, especially one @ $500 to a high end store like Nordstrom, I could get two pairs of jeans for $500, I wouldnt be concerned if I were you.

This. I get that it would suck if TD doesn't, since Nordies forgave but OP has plenty o other cards, no utility in hyper-focusing on AA with product- it won't change a situation. TD basically sucks anyway, so they may be doing you a favor if things go south after they acquire it...nothing to see here Smiley Wink

While I agree with you guys on logic, OP has a strong emotional attachment to this card. I remember her being elated when they let her back in, and before that, she was hoping and praying to someday get this card again, so I get her concern. I think I would try for a CLI again before the merger, and then not bring it up for a couple of years. If you shop there, you'll build up the history, and *maybe* show that you shouldn't be blacklisted. After a couple years of payments, I think that they're less likely to CLD you or cancel the card, but I'm just speculating at this point. 

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Northface is right but I know how you feel.  I would charge & pay, etc.  Let them see you responsible & using the card.  See what happens.  There's a few of those banks down here.  If you don't get a cli in a year. I would ask for one.  

Message 5 of 15
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@score_building wrote:

@northface28 wrote:

While I agree with you guys on logic, OP has a strong emotional attachment to this card. I remember her being elated when they let her back in, and before that, she was hoping and praying to someday get this card again, so I get her concern. I think I would try for a CLI again before the merger, and then not bring it up for a couple of years. If you shop there, you'll build up the history, and *maybe* show that you shouldn't be blacklisted. After a couple years of payments, I think that they're less likely to CLD you or cancel the card, but I'm just speculating at this point. 

Petro...

Youre are right about the emotional attachment, lol.  I got the card originally back in 2006, and was never late, always had great history with them, till the day I filed.  I know store cards are complete taboo here, and NF hates them, hahaha, but I shop Nordstroms monthly, and eat in their cafe a few times a month for lunch, (you can use your card in the cafe too)...

Im hoping by the time the official take over is in place, and they get around to "reviewing" accts, my acct would be at least 8 mo old then, and of course $0 bal/pif, and monthly usuage. So, hopefully the card will stay intact, and youre right, If i get to keep it, and they dont close it for past negative relationship with them on my old Target card, I will keep a very low profile with them for a few years, and not ask for a cli. 

Message 6 of 15
baller4life
Super Contributor

Pizza isn't 6/2 your day to hop aboard the Discover train??? Train's at the station ma'am!!Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is one store card I won't scold you for Pizza. You actually use the card! I would just wait it our and not worry about it. Just keep doing your thing.
Message 8 of 15
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@score_building wrote:

@northface28 wrote:

I pretty much agree with you, Petro. Also, from what I've seen, they can be pretty giving on this card with enough positive payment history and stuff. It's not one of those $250 limit toy limit cards that won't ever grow or anything like that and there are clear benefits for the OP. Always think about the context of these things. I'm hoping that they won't change the process too much for CLIs or anything if TD takes over and keep the rest of the stuff intact but who knows. I don't think they're gonna just close pizza's all of a sudden at all.

There's a lot of taboo around here over even topics like this where the minute the words "store" and "card" are brought up, immediately there's some negative connotation made and while I understand that way of thinking with a lot of the ones out there, I really don't feel that it makes as much sense to bring upon that same assumption in this specific situation. My dad just got a pretty nice increase on this card to $4k and he's been trying to get his credit in order and everything. He was working with a secured Discover card, a $500 CapOne Journey card and the previous highest limit he had was $1k from Chase so there definitely is a place for a card like this sometimes and on top of the fact that he goes to the store regularly to buy clothes there, the card obviously works in his situation. It's not all black and white and I've seen people who started out building credit with store cards and gradually maintained those well over the years and were able to get some great limit prime cards in the end anyway.

I'm sure we can all agree that the worst case scenario is getting stuck with Credit One and First Progress and First Premier esque cards with a jacked up AF and APRs in the 30s. At least Nordstrom you don't have to pay anything for per month to have.

Final point I want to make is that I've come to the conclusion that at the end of the day, none of us fully know someone's personal life to such an extent and that it's all up to the OP or anyone else that makes a topic here and asks for advice to evalulate what's being given and see if it makes sense for their situation, you know. It really doesn't affect me personally at all what so and so person decides to do with their own credit. What works for one peson might not necessarily work as well for another. That's up to them to decide.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 9 of 15
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

I guess this means I'll need to shoot for the VISA upgrade for my $2500 card before the switch... from what I've read here the upgrade is quite easy to get after you've had the card for 6-12 months.  I got mine in December.

At least it won't be like the CapOne/Citi switch with the Best Buy card...  back in 2013 when I got mine they switched one month later and I got a new TL. 

Super annoying.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.