Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letter From American Express

tag
gmanuel71
Valued Member

Letter From American Express

I just got the following  letter from American Express an I am wondering if it should take the bait.   Any suggestions:

Dear _____________,

We are writing to let you know  we recently discovered an error  at the time we processed your January 16, 2010 application for Blue from American Express.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

While we are unable to process your original application because of the amount of time that has passed, we welcome you to apply again if you are still interested and would like us to review your eligibility for this card.   Please call 1-800-###-#### and one of our customer care professionals will be happy to take your application over the phone.  

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Letter From American Express

I would just go online and apply if you want to apply again.... Do you have an Amex Charge card, a lot of people start with that for 3-6 months and then get a credit card product by amex.

Message 2 of 8
BluMoon
New Contributor

You need to consider whether you need it or not, meaning they've already done one HP and they'll do another one.  Both in such a short amount of time.  If you want/need it, and you can afford it (dings from the HPs), go ahead.

Message 3 of 8
BluMoon
New Contributor

Correction - I didn't read your post correctly.  The letter said "2010," not "2011."  Your credit has to be excellent to get an AMEX Blue.  I had the Costco True Earnings, which I really liked, but the Bue Cash fit my needs better, so I traded it in.  If you need it, go for it.  The wise rule still stands though - "Only apply for credit you need."

Message 4 of 8
DI
Super Contributor

@BluMoon wrote:

Correction - I didn't read your post correctly.  The letter said "2010," not "2011."  Your credit has to be excellent to get an AMEX Blue.  I had the Costco True Earnings, which I really liked, but the Bue Cash fit my needs better, so I traded it in.  If you need it, go for it.  The wise rule still stands though - "Only apply for credit you need."

Absolutely!  I had  4 year AA0As, zero balances, no inquries and I assume mid to upper 700s EX FICO score and didn't get approve right off.  I had to call the backdoor number.  The rep said AMEX has its own internal score and I obviously didn't make the cut.  But, after reviewing my credit report, I got an approval email  8/2009 on my B-Day saying congratulations.  It started with $2000 CL.  Today, my CL is $5000 and it probably could've been higher but I've been afraid to ask for double the limit every six months.  But in July, I plan to ask for $5000 additional CLI.  Goodluck!

Message 5 of 8
anderl
Frequent Contributor

I got the exact same letter from Amex about 4 mnths after i was denied for the Amex Gold-my app was pending/processing for 3/4days before I finally got a denial-I called the number on the letter and spoke to a CSR,who told me that they would have to pull my credit.I said OK-why not and was approved. And oh yeah, it was a week before my birthday-I actually got the card ON my birthday! lol.I say go for it!

Amex Platinum Charge(NPSL); Starwood Amex Preferred CC(20K CL); Diners Club ELITE MC(20K);Diners Club Premier MC(20K,could've sworn the rep said 25k, oh well lol);Delta Amex Reserve CC(21K CL); Amex PRG Charge(NPSL); United Presidential Plus Chase World Elite MC (15K CL); AARP Chase Visa Signature(35K CL); NFCU Visa Platinum(20K CL) NFCU LOC(15K); NFCU Go Rewards MC(17.5K); Disover IT 7.8K;
First Tech Federal Visa Platinum(15K CL); Simmons First Visa Platinum(9K CL); Wells Fargo Visa Platinum(7.5K CL); CitiBank Sears MC(6K CL); JCPenney Card(7.5K CL); Lowes(2.5K CL);Barclays Mile & More Lufthansa 12.5K.
Message 6 of 8
gmanuel71
Valued Member

Well I bit the bullet and called.   I was denied.    The operator did not know why, I have to wait for a letter or e-mail to find out why.   I have a feeling it will be the late 2004 - early 2005 chargeoffs on my CR.    Bummer, I wanted a rewards card to replace the chase flexible rewards card which I refuse to use since the rate jacked me last year.

Message 7 of 8
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Try the backdoor number and ask for a recon. You have nothing to lose.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.