Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letting Balances Post

tag
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Re: Letting Balances Post

@Revelate wrote:

I always try to have a plan around my applications, so I typically just let balances post as they will... I don't have anything to hide and want to show all my lenders that yes I'm using the cards when it comes to AR's.

When I need to pretty up, I just leave a yuppie foodstamp ($20) or whatever ($5 works fine too) on a single tradeline and then zero out enough to get me down under my FICO 8 percentage of revolvers, but one revolver reporting a balance is optimal for everyone except painfully thin files... and if you're one of those, go get a couple more cards hah.

I don't encourage frivolous apps, or spur of the moment ones though I've made 2 in my credit lifetime, but generally if your utilization isn't hugely out of whack the points lost for number of revolvers with balances isn't significant for most people when it comes to underwriting a new credit card... if you're fighting tooth and nail around 650ish then yeah, pretty up yo!

I fullly agree with this! Same for me. At one time, I made weekly payments but now I just let them post. We have a large portfilio of available credit so it really does not hurt the scores.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 11 of 17
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Same here , we let all balances post unless it's going to be over 30% utilization on one card.
I feel it gives other lenders a track record of how we use the credit available. And how often the CCs are used. So far no issues doing this, they keep giving us more of it.lol
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I do my mini sprees about twice a year, so on non app months I let mine report their balances because I want the history to show.  I think this can help you in situations when underwriters are looking at your reports.

Micromanaging has it's benefits though, you can app anytime you want and you always know you're at your highest score.  And the other thing I recently noticed is sometimes banks you are already in with use the previous month's report when submitting for CLI, even when they have your newest report on file.

They can see your history if you pay every single card before statement cuts. That means if you use your card at all but never let it report a balance. A creditor can still see balance history on you reports when they pull them.

Depends on the lender in question when it comes to the reporting of trended data; not all lenders will report intramonth charges/payments in addition to the statement balance, only some.

Not sure which way it is going, I was expecting everyone to eventually do it as it was added to Experian's dataset in 2011 and TU/EQ followed, but Chase semi-recently stopped doing it and when one of the big 5ish decides to step away... not sure what the future will hold.

For me all my accounts do except AMEX. Including Chase.

Message 13 of 17
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

donny10, when was the last time you pulled your full report?

For me, Chase doesn't report the extended information. Maybe it's specific to the Amazon card. Or maybe my card is new enough that if there was a change, it happened before I got my card.

Also, Capital One isn't reporting the extra monthly info.

The bottom line is that all three reports have the structure to do this. But at this time, we're not seeing the data provided by every card company.

However, what you do get in some way, shape, or form is a notation showing the last time the card had activity.

Message 14 of 17
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

TU from February 2017:

Amex: No
Barclays: Yes
BOFA: Yes
Cap 1: No
Chase Mortgage: Yes
Chase Card: No as of 03/2016, did previously on tradelines open prior to that
Citi: No
DCU: Yes
Discover: No
Elan: Maybe, account was formerly BOFA when I see the entries there
First Tech: No

JCB: Yes
Penfed: Yes, maybe - all zeros on mine but the field is populated
Sync: Yes
USAA: Yes

On Experian as of 12/16 is a little different, Chase is populating the date paid field, but isn't reporting the amount paid.

All still sorting out but it's nowhere close to universal at least among my lenders, and frankly BOFA is the only one among the top 6 that is doing it: Amex, Cap 1, Chase, Citi, Discover... that's a lot of strikes against it.  TBH I thought more of the big issuers were furnishing the extended data.

        
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

donny10, when was the last time you pulled your full report?

For me, Chase doesn't report the extended information. Maybe it's specific to the Amazon card. Or maybe my card is new enough that if there was a change, it happened before I got my card.

Also, Capital One isn't reporting the extra monthly info.

The bottom line is that all three reports have the structure to do this. But at this time, we're not seeing the data provided by every card company.

However, what you do get in some way, shape, or form is a notation showing the last time the card had activity.

Last month, and Chase has listed balance XXXXon XX/XX/XXXX, several of them listed. It never reports a balance but I use it very frequently but always pay before statement cuts.

The only one I can't say for sure is my Venture because I always let that report a balance.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I let mine post so to take advantage of the 20-30 day float, I don't rely on it but if the benefit is offered to me, why not take it.

Also, if I need to let a balance roll a few cycles, it doesn't hit my reports in a shockwave like event. I constantly show ~$6-20K in "balances" that are really just paid when due.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.