Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letting balances post?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Letting balances post?

Is it bad to pay my cards off as soon as I see that charges went through? I don't use them that much, and I like to keep the balances low or 0. Is it better to wait until I get a statement? I ask because I've seen a few threads lately mention letting things post before paying.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Re: Letting balances post?

Depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you're looking for optimal scoring, then let all cards except for one report a zero balance and then let that one report between one and nine %.

I'm  not looking for optimal scoring right now so I don't mind if my cards reported balance. I let statements cut and pay in full or carry a small balance from time to time. I also carry balances on 0% cards. I don't mind doing that.

This has been working for me so I will keep doing it.

edit: letting all cards report a 0 balance will most likely ding your score

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it bad to pay my cards off as soon as I see that charges went through? I don't use them that much, and I like to keep the balances low or 0. Is it better to wait until I get a statement? I ask because I've seen a few threads lately mention letting things post before paying.

I personally charge what I need to charge at least up to 60% and let whatever balance post when it posts, then pay it.. This is a common occurence with my cards that are not 5 digit CL. Smiley Tongue

Message 3 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@lhcole77 wrote:

Depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you're looking for optimal scoring, then let all cards except for one report a zero balance and then let that one report between one and nine %.

I'm  not looking for optimal scoring right now so I don't mind if my cards reported balance. I let statements cut and pay in full or carry a small balance from time to time. I also carry balances on 0% cards. I don't mind doing that.

I agree.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@lhcole77 wrote:

I agree.

Marine.. Long time no see brother! I lurked on here for years until most recently posting.. Last time i saw you post, you were leaving the boards to build a house in Colorado or something, no?

Message 5 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Marine.. Long time no see brother! I lurked on here for years until most recently posting.. Last time i saw you post, you were leaving the boards to build a house in Colorado or something, no?

Hey there.

We're STILL trying to get that darn cabin built!!  Smiley Sad  Lots of problems along the way but we haven't given up.

Thanks for the shout out.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey there.

We're STILL trying to get that darn cabin built!!  Smiley Sad  Lots of problems along the way but we haven't given up.

Where in CO?

Message 7 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Nixon wrote:Hey there.

Where in CO?

Conejos County. Seven miles north of Horca on FR 250.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

Nixon wrote:Hey there.

Where in CO?

Ah, south of Alamosa Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

wow... I read that as Cojones. dang my dyslexia Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.