Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life After Debt

tag
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

Life After Debt

Hi,

I'm 23 years old and transferring to a four year college from a local community college. I'm fortunate enough to pay off my credit card debt. When I move and start living on campus, I might be tempted to use my credit cards again and the last thing I want to do is put myself into debt, again. I'll be working part time while taking my classes but I probably won't have a lot to spend after I pay my bills each month.

What's a good way to prevent myself from using my cards? If I were to close them, they would hurt my credit. If I were to shred them, I might still be able to use them.

Here are the cards:

Capital One-$0 bal. / $4500 limit (Opened in 2007)

UMB Bank-$0 bal. / $4500 limit (Opened in 2009)

Chase-$0 bal. / $2000 limit (Opened in 2008)

Citi-$0 bal. / $2000 limit (Opened in 2011)

I use the Citi card for daily purchases (if any)

TIA

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Life After Debt

You don't need to close them, just exercise some self-discipline.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 2 of 12
distantarray
Established Contributor

@YoungEntrepeneur wrote:

Hi,

I'm 23 years old and transferring to a four year college from a local community college. I'm fortunate enough to pay off my credit card debt. When I move and start living on campus, I might be tempted to use my credit cards again and the last thing I want to do is put myself into debt, again. I'll be working part time while taking my classes but I probably won't have a lot to spend after I pay my bills each month.

What's a good way to prevent myself from using my cards? If I were to close them, they would hurt my credit. If I were to shred them, I might still be able to use them.

Here are the cards:

TIA

Even if you shred them they'll cancel you out eventually for inactivity lol usually 6-12 months.

How about putting them into a safe deposit box at the bank, and just set it for things like Netflix, Hulu, Gym membership etc and just have it auto payments set up and forget about it.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 3 of 12
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

CreditScholar,

I've already disciplined myself by paying off my credit cards. I pretty much had no social life and didn't buy new clothes for about a year. That's a victory in itself. However, being 23 years in college makes it very difficult to not use a credit card when going out with friends. I'm sure I have the will power to not use it but I want to take an extra step to protect myself.

Message 4 of 12
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@YoungEntrepeneur wrote:

Hi,

Here are the cards:

TIA

Even if you shred them they'll cancel you out eventually for inactivity lol usually 6-12 months.

How about putting them into a safe deposit box at the bank, and just set it for things like Netflix, Hulu, Gym membership etc and just have it auto payments set up and forget about it.

That's what I'm thinking of doing. I'd have to report them as lost/stolen and get new cards with new account numbers because I've memorized the account numbers with expiration dates. Ha

Message 5 of 12
enharu
Super Contributor

This is what I do myself:

Set up automatic payments to those accounts every week (or whichever frequency you like). Just make sure the payments are frequent. That way, you will always notice how much money you are really spending and how much you have left by looking at your checking/savings balance.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 12
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

I fully understand the temptation of being in college with CC available to use; however, if you don't start teaching yourself some self control now, then when? Have you ever heard anyone say that managing money gets easier as you get older? If you want to understand and appreicate the value of having good credit, you have teach yourelf self control. And block Amazon on your computer. Smiley LOL

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 7 of 12
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Im 21 and go out to party everey weekend. My utl is at 1% at the moment. I always put a limit as to how much im gonna spend when i go out. If i spent more than my limit then i dont go out until i pay it off and punish myself with no going out for a weekend. Also split the tab with friends.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 8 of 12
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

I have the will power to not use my cards. However, I want to take an extra step and make sure I truly prevent myself from using them. After all, I had the will power to not use them as I paid down the balances.

Message 9 of 12
solstice00
Regular Contributor

Congratulations on maintaining  a self disciplined life!

Anybody can spend/waste. It doesn't require the ability of a soothsayer.

But it takes real effort to understand one's financial security and make  informed decision about one's future. The ability to 'save' rests only with the courageous.

I am not saying one should stop spending at all. Being a little generous isn't a bad thing.

I have a credit line from a foreign bank and it has no limit(The bank's zone chief is a family friend and by no limit I mean I should give them a call before any hefty transaction and they would approve it). I used it once in 2011 to buy a $35,000 car( I had 0 credit history so no financing) and paid in full that very year(used all of my savings. I figured I am just a graduate student and  will enough time to save later on) . Since then I have never used the card. Not even once. My credit cards have a measly 300-1500 limit each. I always used to keep a balance( so I don't get any CLI's but am currently in 1-5% utilization now after paying all of my bills)

I think you should be happy that you have more than enough credit limit for your daily needs. Try using mint. Open it once every morning and see if it reports a balance on any of the cards. if it does, pay it. It barely takes 5-7 minutes. 

Once you see your actual money decreasing after paying off bills from your checking account, you will be a lot more responsible(even with extra CC's).

That is exactly what changed me. I began seeing the consequences(read 'decline of checking balance')  of my actions(read 'spending') and have become more responsible. I currently am looking to get more cards because I know I will never abuse it.

But perhaps you know this already and in that case i would like to end with 'Keep it up!' Smiley Happy

"Its your AAoA, Sir. It seems, Sir, that it is so short that i dont think it would hurt for it to get a little shorter"
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.