cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Likelihood of AMEX or Disc with 120 day lates on student loans?

tag
HikingFICOMountain
New Contributor

Likelihood of AMEX or Disc with 120 day lates on student loans?

Hi all -

I am currently gardening right now, but I would like to apply for eithre AMEX or Discover in 2013.

Current cards - I have a BOA Visa that is approaching 4 years old, never late, Last week, I got approved for JCP (1.6K) and a CU Visa (4K)

Problem - I have 2 - 120 day lates from Aug 07 with Sallie Mae.  (of course, no luck getting them removed). They wont be removed until 2014

Will this derog info automatically bar me from AMEX and Discover?

Note: Was denied AMEX Delta Sky Miles in 09 due to lack of history with revolving accounts (BOA was secured at the time) and low TU score. Had a CO with Discover back in '96 that is long gone from report.

Thanks,

-----------------------------------

EQ - 719

TU - 703

EX - ??

~Four steps to achievement: Plan purposefully. Prepare prayerfully. Proceed positively. Pursue persistently~
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Likelihood of AMEX or Disc with 120 day lates on student loans?

I was approved for the Amex PRG in October of 2010.  When I applied, I had late payments on multiple accounts including 150 days late on my mortgage and 120 days late on HELOC and some CCs.  The major lates were just over two years old, but I had some 30 day lates that hadn't aged the complete 2 years yet at the time.  Based on my experience, I'd say you are not absolutely barred based on two 120 day lates in 2007.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 18
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I think you are good for AMEX charge cards.  You might be iffy on their credit cards though.

As for Discover, you better do a search on black listing by Discover.  Not sure if they do it or not.  Basically certain card issuers black list you when you have ever defaulted on your debt with them.  AMEX is famous for it.  Usually you need to do a recon to even have any chance.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 18
HikingFICOMountain
New Contributor

Ok. Thanks.

I am hopeful that in a year, my 3 perfect payment credit cards accounts and better scores will help me qualify for AMEX.

I wondered about the Discover Blacklist. I did a search on here and read that some people had success with them after CO.

I will try for AMEX first though.  I NEED the sky miles Smiley Happy

~Four steps to achievement: Plan purposefully. Prepare prayerfully. Proceed positively. Pursue persistently~
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got approved for Discover more with a nice CL with several lates, including one 150, 120 and a few 30 days late on my CR. They are nearly 2-years old but I still got approved. The only thing is that they pulled both TU and EQ, thus 2 hard hit.

I App for the Amex PRG card a few month ago but was denied b/c I have thier so call "Recovery product" right now. It's their Optima card, that they have to regain membership status after a person burned them and the PIF. I did pay the balance on that account in full though before getting the Optima Card offer. I am thinking I should have app directly for the PRG before accepting the Optima Card (No reward with it), since I was only denied because of having th eOptima card. I found out I have to close it first before reapplying again.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Keep us posted when you apply.Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 18
HikingFICOMountain
New Contributor

Thanks Rico

I will keep you all posted.  I want the Delta card, but should I go for a different card. Is the Optima Card a "punishment card"?  

Message 6 of 18
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Where do you even see the Optima Card to apply for?  But yes I have only seen it given out to people on Oasis program.

For the orginal poster, I never heard if your credit scores listed are FICOs or FAKOs.  Also, what reasons did AMEX give you recently for your denial

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HikingFICOMountain wrote:

Thanks Rico

I will keep you all posted.  I want the Delta card, but should I go for a different card. Is the Optima Card a "punishment card"?  

I really think it's a punishment card for sure, but on a positive note the Amex backdating process work wonders. I PIF so I don't have to deal with the high interest rate.

Message 8 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Crashem wrote:

Where do you even see the Optima Card to apply for?  But yes I have only seen it given out to people on Oasis program.

It's not something you can apply for, it's an offer from Amex to try to recoup a former charged-off account.  It's a brilliant idea frankly, but unless you've burned them in the past on one of their products, you cannot qualify for it.  I don't even know if you call in and specifically request it with that situation if you can get it, though I'd be surprised if they turned folks away from the program... it's basically money falling out of the sky from an accounting perspective, though it's probably taxed fully as a result.

I have to laugh at Amex's being known for blacklisting though when they come up with creative solutions such as this to get people righteous.

        
Message 9 of 18
TuffyLess

I applied for AMEX Blue Everyday on 04.12.12 and was approved for $2k limit.

In late 2005 on my ACS college loan I have some 120 days late payments and in 2006 on an auto loan a few 60 days+ late payment.

I have had a clean record since 2007.

TU and EQ agree.

AMEX tapped EX though which reported to them my score of 706; Im not sure what the report itself contains though as Ive never seen it.

Good luck.

Starting Score: TU 665 (01.19.12) FQM ||| EQ 695 (04.12.12) FS ||| EX 706 (04.12.12) AMEX
Current Score : TU 802 (07.08.16) FQM ||| EQ 783 (06.27.16) FS ||| EX ??? (xx.xx.xx) ----
Goal Score: Never less than 800 TU for now; initial goals accomplished years ago.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.