Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit to AMEX accounts?

tag
JCAD42885
Established Member

Limit to AMEX accounts?

Hello,

I recently learned about the PenFed Premium Travel AMEX: https://www.penfed.org/productsandrates/creditcards/amex.asp. It looks like a pretty amazing card, and as I live abroad, the travel rewards and $0 forex fee are particularly appealing.

I have great credit (797) and a respectable income, so I'm not concerned about qualifying per se. However, I currently own four AMEX card accounts: a gold something, a Starwood card, a Delta, and a Hilton. I use them all regularly or least periodically, though I don't carry any balances.

I know some CC companies set limits on the number of accounts they will allow customers to open. Does anyone know whether AMEX sets such limits? I haven't applied for a card in awhile, but I don't want to waste a hard pull on my CR. Five accounts with one card company seems like a lot....

So as much as I covet this PenFed card, I don't want to apply if I'm not very confident that AMEX will approve me...

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

Re: Limit to AMEX accounts?

you are talking apples to oranges. every credit card has a bank issuer and network. you could have many amex cards, and no centurion bank cards. your penfed amex is just that. penfed is the issuing bank and american express is the network placed for the card. however if you have a STARWOOD PREFFERED AMEX, this is actually a centurion bank issued american express card. i dont know what the limit is on the amount of cards you can carry, but if there is a limit, penfed amex wouldn't have anything to do with it.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, if it helps I have 6 Amex cards of which the Penfed Travel Rewards is one of the six.  Plus, I have nowhere near the score that you covet.  I love the card since I've probably taken 4 flights already with the card by taking advantage of point multiplier promotions and almost at another domestic ticket award.  I live overseas as well and the zero FTF is a plus.  The downside is not everyone takes Amex due to the cost to the merchant.

Message 3 of 9
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@JCAD42885 wrote:

Hello,

I recently learned about the PenFed Premium Travel AMEX: https://www.penfed.org/productsandrates/creditcards/amex.asp. It looks like a pretty amazing card, and as I live abroad, the travel rewards and $0 forex fee are particularly appealing.

I have great credit (797) and a respectable income, so I'm not concerned about qualifying per se. However, I currently own four AMEX card accounts: a gold something, a Starwood card, a Delta, and a Hilton. I use them all regularly or least periodically, though I don't carry any balances.

I know some CC companies set limits on the number of accounts they will allow customers to open. Does anyone know whether AMEX sets such limits? I haven't applied for a card in awhile, but I don't want to waste a hard pull on my CR. Five accounts with one card company seems like a lot....

So as much as I covet this PenFed card, I don't want to apply if I'm not very confident that AMEX will approve me...

Thoughts?

Someone will correct me (hopefully kindly) if I'm totally incorrect.  But.. since your AMEX cards are from different banks (not directly through AMEX), you may be looking at a "too many visa's" situation.  You have 1 AMEX (the gold from what I can tell, I'm not sure of the other 3) that sounds like it's from Centurion Bank (which is AMEX itself).  Usually if you're in good with AMEX, 4 cards is hardly unusual from different issuers with AMEX managing the account (non-Centurion Bank issuers). 

PenFed itself is very helpful on the phone, if you're already a member (even if not actually), you could call and ask them, explain you have 4 AMEX managed cards but would really like to add their AMEX product.  From what you give for info, both AMEX and PenFed like that kind of history and score (ESP with verifiable income to support the accounts). Frankly, I'd be more concerned about PenFed than AMEX approving.  Sounds like AMEX already likes you a lot (although I don't know your CLs with them).

Being PenFed works with AMEX (issues one or more of their cards), they'd really be the ones to ask, sort of like this:

"I'm very interested in your AMEX product whichever one because your reason, do you know if AMEX limits the number of accounts a person can have with their logo? I'd like to know  if adding another might be a problem before applying"

PenFed CSRs are....  well, in my experience (and others from what I've read) a standard other card CSRs could only dream of matching. Usually very personable, down to earth and helpful.

I should mention, PenFed doesn't like too many inq's or a short history (not sure where you stand there so thought I'd mention it).  I'd say 3 and 3 might be the magic there.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 4 of 9
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

Provided you pass PenFed's credit criteria for card issuance,  having another Amex product shouldn't be any problem for you.  PenFed is only authorized to issue their brand of Amex pursuant to a LICENSE from American Express.  Many banks offer their own co-branded versions of this card, and it's up to that particular issuer, and not Amex proper. 

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 5 of 9
flyingmd
Frequent Contributor

The Penfed card has absolutely nothing to do with AMEX other than using their network for processing their transactions. AMEX will not know you have the card. All servicing of the account is done through Penfed not AMEX. AMEX will not consider it in whether or not you have "too many cards" with AMEX. I know its confusing sometimes because AMEX does have a few co-branded cards (like their Starwood card) which are TRUE AMEX cards and serviced through AMEX. So the long and short is that whether or not you qualify for the card is totally up to Penfed, not AMEX.

Message 6 of 9
JCAD42885
Established Member

Thank you all for the helpful advice! I guess I didn't understand the difference between a "true AMEX" and a card that simply operates on their network. However, that makes a lot of sense...

Message 7 of 9
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

Someone will correct me (hopefully kindly) if I'm totally incorrect.  But.. since your AMEX cards are from different banks (not directly through AMEX), you may be looking at a "too many visa's" situation.  You have 1 AMEX (the gold from what I can tell, I'm not sure of the other 3) that sounds like it's from Centurion Bank (which is AMEX itself).  Usually if you're in good with AMEX, 4 cards is hardly unusual from different issuers with AMEX managing the account (non-Centurion Bank issuers). 

PenFed itself is very helpful on the phone, if you're already a member (even if not actually), you could call and ask them, explain you have 4 AMEX managed cards but would really like to add their AMEX product.  From what you give for info, both AMEX and PenFed like that kind of history and score (ESP with verifiable income to support the accounts). Frankly, I'd be more concerned about PenFed than AMEX approving.  Sounds like AMEX already likes you a lot (although I don't know your CLs with them).

Being PenFed works with AMEX (issues one or more of their cards), they'd really be the ones to ask, sort of like this:

"I'm very interested in your AMEX product whichever one because your reason, do you know if AMEX limits the number of accounts a person can have with their logo? I'd like to know  if adding another might be a problem before applying"

All 4 of the OPs cards are issued directly by Amex.

You don't need to ask Penfed this question.  While Penfed will evaluate how much total revolving credit you have available to you in making their own determination about approval and initial CL, Amex does not limit the number of cards a person can have that use their payment network. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an FYI...ALL PenFed Credit Cards have no foreign transaction fees, so you may want to look at a different PenFed card possibly instead...

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.