Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limited Credit History - Best cards?

tag
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

Limited Credit History - Best cards?

Okay, so as mentioned in a previous post... I have 2 Cards (Discover More Student & Capital One Journey) I had applied for the Citi Forward Student (denied) and Bank of America Student (asked for co-signer) I attempted to recon the Citi Forward Student but a few "Peggys" kept reading from the numerical value script. I would like to get 1 more card before I enter garden mode so all the inquiries fall off within the same time frame and my accounts age together. The question I have is what card(s) can I get (Besides Secured Cards). I currently have 5 going on 6 months of history via a Student Loan in good standing and have a Checking (Chase) and Savings account, and as far as income if I add a small grant (I heard banks allow grants as income for students under 21) I would have an income of about 19,100. I've been looking at the US Bank College Card, Apple's Barclays Card (I like the financing offer since I can use a new iPad or Air), and the Chase Freedom (I heard some people get approved without 1 year of history while others say 1 year, and some 2+ years.). Can I get any of the cards I'm interested in? Any other thoughts? 

I know Barclays is Inq sensitive (I only have 2 (Discover + Capital One) on transunion beside a student loan from 6 months ago), 1 on Equifax (Capital One), and 3 on Experian believe Capital One, Bank of America, and Citi) 

PS: Thanks to the forums I also know how to use credit wisely. (Utilization should be capped at around 1%-9% when applying for a card and don't exceed 30-35% of all available credit. Never be Late, Over the limit, etc) 

Sorry about the long post. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: Limited Credit History - Best cards?

@CC365 wrote:

Okay, so as mentioned in a previous post... I have 2 Cards (Discover More Student & Capital One Journey) I had applied for the Citi Forward Student (denied) and Bank of America Student (asked for co-signer) I attempted to recon the Citi Forward Student but a few "Peggys" kept reading from the numerical value script. I would like to get 1 more card before I enter garden mode so all the inquiries fall off within the same time frame and my accounts age together. The question I have is what card(s) can I get (Besides Secured Cards). I currently have 5 going on 6 months of history via a Student Loan in good standing and have a Checking (Chase) and Savings account, and as far as income if I add a small grant (I heard banks allow grants as income for students under 21) I would have an income of about 19,100. I've been looking at the US Bank College Card, Apple's Barclays Card (I like the financing offer since I can use a new iPad or Air), and the Chase Freedom (I heard some people get approved without 1 year of history while others say 1 year, and some 2+ years.). Can I get any of the cards I'm interested in? Any other thoughts? 

I know Barclays is Inq sensitive (I only have 2 (Discover + Capital One) on transunion beside a student loan from 6 months ago), 1 on Equifax (Capital One), and 3 on Experian believe Capital One, Bank of America, and Citi) 

PS: Thanks to the forums I also know how to use credit wisely. (Utilization should be capped at around 1%-9% when applying for a card and don't exceed 30-35% of all available credit. Never be Late, Over the limit, etc) 

Unfortunately, it's going to be hard to get a CC without any history. They don't take into account your banking history -- only credit. You have 2 CCs, which is good starting point. I'd give them 6 mos to a year to age and then contact local CUs and see if they have something they can offer you.

I'm not familiar w/US Bank College card. If you really want a third card, I'd give them a call and see if they'll approve you without any credit history. But really, I think you'd be better off letting your 2 accts age a while first.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 2 of 8
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Google Capital One's pre-qualifier page. It will tell you if they have an cards you can apply for.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 3 of 8
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Hey! I know you probably don't want to hear this, but with your limited credit history- IMHO, you are pretty lucky to have the cards you've got. I think some time gardening for at least 6 months would do wonders for building a history and set you up for some good cards with good APRs. I have friends in the same situation as you and they can't get anything at all but denials. Wait the 6 months and app for a Zync. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 4 of 8
Ron1
Super Contributor

Have you tried to apply for Walmart Card? It's pretty easy to get with limited history.  It might help you to build good history plus free FICO score.

Ron.

Message 5 of 8
nuggets321
Frequent Contributor

+1

TU-721 (MortgagePull) EQ- 697(MortgagePull ) EXP 693(MortgagePull) FWEB 24,2015
My Wallet : Dicover More 35,500 CL -Amex Zync NPSL -WellsFargoRewards4800 - -CapOne 3000CL -GEMBWalMart 5000CL - Zales 4000CL-Kays 2900--Macys 5000CL /SSFCU 5000CL / CitiBank Diamond Pref 15000CL - CHASE Freedom 13500CL -Lowes 10,000 CL - BBuyStoreCard 10,000CL Sears Store Card (Citi) 3000 - Firestone CFNB 1400 Toyota Financial $35,000 Auto -2200DiscountTire(GECRB) Citi TY Preferred 8100CL - Chase Slate$4000-BofA15000-ToyotaRewardsVisa$10,700 -BofA$8500 AMEX BCE 9,500
Message 6 of 8
logan_720
Established Contributor

@CC365 wrote:

Barclay is inquiry sensitive, but I think it just depends on the person. I was denied a Barclay Financing card two days ago, called for recon today, and asked for $1,700, he instantly approved me (I should have asked for more). So I would try it, and if denied, try and get an approval via recon like I did. They are really easy to talk to and youa re connected instantly. I would also try for an American Express Zync. But don't cross your fingers.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Atlantic stewardship bank college rewards visa (issued through elan financial) gave me a nice limit with no credit history and I was just approved for a Walmart card so I said these are two you may be able to get especially if you have something reporting.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.