cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limits on Barclaycard Arrival Mastercard?

tag
matrim33

Limits on Barclaycard Arrival Mastercard?

Hello. I had a question about my Barclaycard Arrival Mastercard. The card comes as a World (better card benefits, higher credit requirement) or a Platinum (less benefits, lower credit requirement). I applied for the card about 7 months ago and received the Platinum version with a $3500 limit. After 6 months of using the card and paying it completely off each month they bumped me to a $5k limit.

I have 2 questions about this card. With the Platinum, is there a max limit? I have read around that there is, but the CSR I talked to had never heard of it. Also, can they change the Platinum card in to the World card? My credit is improving and I would like the better benefits and a higher limit. Any thoughts?

Anybody who has either the Platinum or the World, I would appreciate to know what your limit is. I have 3 cards with over $10k cl, one of which is 30k and I just got declined for a cli from Barclaycard. I use this card a lot so I would like to get a higher limit. Thank you.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Limits on Barclaycard Arrival Mastercard?

@matrim33 wrote:

Hello. I had a question about my Barclaycard Arrival Mastercard. The card comes as a World (better card benefits, higher credit requirement) or a Platinum (less benefits, lower credit requirement). I applied for the card about 7 months ago and received the Platinum version with a $3500 limit. After 6 months of using the card and paying it completely off each month they bumped me to a $5k limit.

I have 2 questions about this card. With the Platinum, is there a max limit? I have read around that there is, but the CSR I talked to had never heard of it. Also, can they change the Platinum card in to the World card? My credit is improving and I would like the better benefits and a higher limit. Any thoughts?

Anybody who has either the Platinum or the World, I would appreciate to know what your limit is. I have 3 cards with over $10k cl, one of which is 30k and I just got declined for a cli from Barclaycard. I use this card a lot so I would like to get a higher limit. Thank you.

Barclays can be "strange"   I had a Barclaycard Rewards, and despite having several cards with 25K+ limits, they gave me a 4.7K CL.  After six months, like you, they bumped it to $7.2K.   At the stage, I asked for conversion to a World MC, and they said it couldn't be done.  (I closed the card as I didn't need it).  Maybe you will have better luck!

Message 2 of 10
eddie84
Valued Contributor

@matrim33 wrote:

I have an Arrival World MC and the limit is $5k.  It's my first card from Barclay.  Just got it a couple of months ago.  Hoping to get my CLI later on.

Message 3 of 10
aloush11
Regular Contributor

I have a the WM edition started at 5k late September 2013 and just a couple a days ago I called and told then I have a large purchase of 7500 and if it would be honored, rep said no and transferred me to credit and they used the same pull from the app. No additional pull or anything.

I remember reading that you have to apply for the card all over again and they could combine the limit, but you would have to close the platinum after you were approved.

Try calling the credit dept for more clarification.

Good luck
Message 4 of 10
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@matrim33 wrote:

I have 2 questions about this card. With the Platinum, is there a max limit? No max limit that I know of... you can have a Plat with a 20+K limit. I have read around that there is, but the CSR I talked to had never heard of it. Also, can they change the Platinum card in to the World card? The Plat can not be PCd to a WM version.  One must be approved with this tier to obtain it.  Weird quirk with Barcalys.  In order to get a WM version of this card, you will need to apply again and hope for the WM version.  I have seen (albeit rumors I'm sure) talk of Barclays changing this policy on this forum but I suspect it is an internal decision determined by computer default that determines your tier based on many factors, one being average spend on your other ccs I suspect.  My credit is improving and I would like the better benefits and a higher limit. Any thoughts?

Hey matrim33!

See my responses in red.  Hope this helps.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 5 of 10
matrim33

Thanks guys. I actually did apply again hoping for the WM, didn't get it. I was told by CSR that I couldn't have 2 Arrival cards. So I'm not sure what I would need to do. Cancel this card and reapply?

I don't always trust CSRs. I have gotten a lot of bad answers in the past so I turn here first.

It is good to know that the card has no max limit. I have a Chase Sapphire and a Freedom card, the limit on my Sapphire is 3 times higher than my Freedom. The lady at Chase said that the Freedom card is generally a lower limit card. This makes me wonder if it is easier to get a higher limit on the WM versus the Platinum.

It appears that Barclaycard kind of goes by their own rules after reading around. I love this card and get about $300 in travel rewards monthly. I just wish I didn't have to pay down the card so much. It appears that they do a good job of increasing limits without being asked. I like that.

Message 6 of 10
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@matrim33 wrote:

Thanks guys. I actually did apply again hoping for the WM, didn't get it. I was told by CSR that I couldn't have 2 Arrival cards. So I'm not sure what I would need to do. Cancel this card and reapply?

I don't always trust CSRs. I have gotten a lot of bad answers in the past so I turn here first.

It is good to know that the card has no max limit. I have a Chase Sapphire and a Freedom card, the limit on my Sapphire is 3 times higher than my Freedom. The lady at Chase said that the Freedom card is generally a lower limit card. This makes me wonder if it is easier to get a higher limit on the WM versus the Platinum.

It appears that Barclaycard kind of goes by their own rules after reading around. I love this card and get about $300 in travel rewards monthly. I just wish I didn't have to pay down the card so much. It appears that they do a good job of increasing limits without being asked. I like that.

I wouldn't give up there!  It is typical for the CSRs to not be fully informed.  I'd call the back door number immediately (probably closed tonight) and see if they can approve you then move the credit limit to the new card.  I'd definitely try first.  The worst that can happen is they say "no".

Good Luck!

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 7 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@matrim33 wrote:

So you are spending $15K per month on the card?   And they just increased your CL only to $5K.   Keep asking!

Message 8 of 10
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Barclaycard does do periodic systemic upgrades that cannot be initiated by the cardholder. The last one was done a few weeks ago based on some threads (see: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Denied-Barclays-Frontier-World-MasterCard-Approved-for-...) where people had their US Airways and Frontier cards upgraded from Platinum to World. Criteria and when the next review will be done are unknown. So I suggest you keep your existing Platinum and wait for the next upgrade window, you will probably get selected for it. Alternatively email or facebook them to see if they can provide additional info.

Message 9 of 10
matrim33

Thanks! That is just what I wanted to know.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.