Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line of credit

tag
dpage
Contributor

Line of credit

Hello,

Does anyone know the general requirements for getting approved for a personal line of credit with Wells fargo? I have a few recent inq's that may affect the decision but I was curious to know what all do they look at. Any insight would be much appreciated!

Proud home owner
Lender Pull 03/28/2011 EQ:708 TU:698 EXP:709

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
mrthoro77
Established Member

Re: Line of credit

I just got approved for LOC from Wells Fargo last night for $15k which was what I asked for. The interest rate is 13% and as of yesterday my Experian score based on they told me was a 745 with about 7 Inq within 1 year.

Message 2 of 12
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@mrthoro77 wrote:

I just got approved for LOC from Wells Fargo last night for $15k which was what I asked for. The interest rate is 13% and as of yesterday my Experian score based on they told me was a 745 with about 7 Inq within 1 year.

That is very high interest rate considering your high scores.

Message 3 of 12
JMN
Frequent Contributor

Wells' LOC is weird. The only unsecured LOC I've seen with rates from like 7% to 21%.

Who the heck would want a 21% LOC?! 

Despite my employment in the banking industry, any and all views contained in this post are purely my own, and do not represent any financial institution, nor constitute as financial or investment guidance or advise.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone without a job, math skills, or food in their stomach. It is unsecured and subject to discharge in bankruptcy of course.
Message 5 of 12
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

i thought that a 7% line of credit was pretty good. why is that a bad choice? wouldn't it be just as beneficial as a credit card with a 7% purchase apr?

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 6 of 12
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

i've been reading and i am seeing apr's of 9.5, 10.5, 6 and so on.

Message 7 of 12
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

my bank wells fargo has recommended to me that i apply for a LOC. they tell me that is the same as being pre approved for it as i stand a very good chance of approval. they tell me that my line would be larger and my interest rate would be lower. currently my wells cc is 15.99% purchase apr and cl of 5100. i don't plan to apply now, but have it in the "cards".

Message 8 of 12
cdtotten
Established Contributor

For a borrower with good credit scores, you should have no problem securing a LOC (secured) in the Prime +1 to Prime +2 range. Anything over 6% for a good borrower I would consider high in the current economy.

Both Fifth Third and my Credit Union (Alliant) are offering LOCs at prime +.5.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Usually unless a local CU or like Navy Lines of Credit and Unsecured Personal loans are in the 8-14%.  I just finished paying off a line of credit with my local CU for 12% on 15k line, depending on the purpose of the line it could be a good idea or a bad idea.

I like it because it reported to credit as a loan vs a credit card so util is not factored in. I also like it because you know exactly how many months it's going to be to be paid off... if you have the control to pay a specific minimum on a credit card and not continue to charge on that credit card then you can probably save some money by keeping it on a credit card.

and of course some of these lines of credit are for Overdraft which my idea of that would be I would not carry a balance for more then a month or two it just makes a much cheaper option then going negative in checking (most banks I see about a $10 charge to cover overdraft vs. like $30-$35 if you bounce a checking.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.