Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List Of The Best Credit Credit Cards Available

tag
jm00ser
Regular Contributor

Re: List Of The Best Credit Credit Cards Available

I've had good experiences with the Citi ThankYou family of cards. Generous starting CL and CLI with the LUV button online every 6 months. They were my highest limit for a while until Chase trumped it when I apped for SW RR. My Freedom limit was low as others have mentioned, but apped for it before I had the CL leverage!

In full gardening/ debt annihilation mode! (4/15/13)
Notre Dame FCU Visa 0/2k (8/04); CapOne Best Buy 800/1.5k (7\06)
Citi Thank You World MC 4800/9.7k (1/11); Amex Zync NPSL (9/11)
Chase Freedom Visa 1600/3.8k (9/11); Chase Southwest RR Premier Visa Signature 4300/10.7k (6/12); Discover It 0/3k (7/12)
EQ: 751 (4/1/13) EX: 742 (4/8/13) TU: 732 (4/8/13)
Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover more has been good to me with limits. Had a capital one platinum that just reached 750 CL, only card I had. Had great scores and apped for the Discover more since they had been sending me pre approvals almost weekly. Instantly approved for a 5,500 CL, which is now 7,200 since they beat my United card at 6,200.

If you have a clean file and are in primeville Discover seems to be very generous. Plus they seem to want to beat any CL of future cards. I only use them for bonus cashback categories though.

Personally I would hold out on getting any other cards until next year at least due to that new Visa/MC lawsuit. I know I sound like chicken little but if it goes into effect it will greatly change the value of a rewards card. If you have the same generous rewards as now, then several merchants will tack on an extra charge for credit card purchases, especially low margin merchants and merchants that have little competition and will do it because they can. The rewards are never worth it if you are paying 3% for them each time, and trying to find a merchant that doesn't surcharge.

Even if there are no surcharges, interchange fees may be cut as a result leading to less generous rewards. So best to let the dust settle in the next 6 months and see what exactly happens.

Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was in a similar position earlier this year.  I had 2 Cap One's at $750 and an Amex Gold card.  I decided to apply for the Chase Freedom and Amex Blue.  I went for the Freedom first and got $2,500, then a week later went for the Blue and got $6,000.  I'm pretty happy with those limits.

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really want to vouch for Citi Forward but they started devaluing the rewards program associated with that card. It's now equivalent of 2.5% cash back in bonus categories, still pretty good but not as good as it once was. 5 points per dollar on dining and entertainment, plus free cell phone insurance if you pay your bill with it. The redeeming value is you can (currently) cash in 6500 points for a $50 Amazon gift card, a return of 4.2%. Hopefully they don't take that away too.

Message 14 of 25
FicoTron
Established Contributor

Good call guys. October will be 6 months of history with my Gold card. I figure I'll go for the BCE then and hope for a decent limit since I push $1500 on my Gold every month, hopefully they'll take that into consideration. Its a soft pull even if I'm declined so then I'll go from there. Why does waiting til January help with backdating? It will still have my member since 2012 no matter when I get the card.
EX-774 (Amex Fico) 8/12
EQ-725 (Fico) 1/12
TU-729 (Fico) 3/12
Message 15 of 25
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

@FicoTron wrote:
Good call guys. October will be 6 months of history with my Gold card. I figure I'll go for the BCE then and hope for a decent limit since I push $1500 on my Gold every month, hopefully they'll take that into consideration. Its a soft pull even if I'm declined so then I'll go from there. Why does waiting til January help with backdating? It will still have my member since 2012 no matter when I get the card.

Because AmEx will report the card being opened In January 2012; instead of October 2012. That's 10 free months of account history.

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 16 of 25
readyfireaim
New Contributor

@Odiseous wrote:

@FicoTron wrote:

Because AmEx will report the card being opened In January 2012; instead of October 2012. That's 10 free months of account history.

Why would AMEX consider January as part of 2012 instead of 2013?

Starting Scores: EQ 697 (4/3/12) / TU 683 (4/3/12) / EX FICO 643 (3/16/12)
Current Scores: EX FICO 751 (7/25/12 Bellco CU) / EQ 735 (8/1/12) / TU 734 (8/1/12) /
Baddies: One 30 Day Late - Installment Loan (10/2011)
Cards:Costco AMEX $19500, Bellco Platinum Visa $10000, Discover More $9000, Chase Southwest Premier $5000, Delta Gold AMEX $2000, Merrick Bank Visa $1850, Orchard Bank Secured $500, ZYNC
Goal Score: 760+
Message 17 of 25
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

@FicoTron wrote:
If you open BCE in October, your card will have an open date of 10/2012. If you wait until January of next year, your card will have an open date of 01/2012, gaining an additional 10 months of age.
Message 18 of 25
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

@readyfireaim wrote:

@Odiseous wrote:

@FicoTron wrote:

Why ask why? It's an additional 10 months of age on the house!
Message 19 of 25
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

@readyfireaim wrote:

@Odiseous wrote:

@FicoTron wrote:

Because Ficotron already has an AmEx opened in 2012.  Amex backdates to the *year* of first having an account.

All future cards Ficotron gets, should report as being opened in (month of App) 2012.

Edit: all future cards *issued by AmEx*, should reflect opened in (month) 2012).

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.