Did you mean: 

Lists of Banks that Are and Are Not Reducing Limits

tag
plasticguy
Established Contributor

Lists of Banks that Are and Are Not Reducing Limits

Consumer Action: Consumers experience credit limit reductions

Survey: Card holders have seen changes

"During Consumer Action's survey, customer service representatives at six financial institutions (American Express, First Command, HSBC, US Bank, Washington Mutual and Wells Fargo) told surveyors that they would reduce cardholder's credit limits because of perceived customer risk. Factors included a decline in cardholder credit scores, late payments and balances that go too close to the credit limit.

Several of the banks that said they would not reduce credit limits reported just the opposite in 2008. They are Bank of America, Chase, Citi, Discover and EverBank.

With the possible exception of Citi, which made a pledge not to change cardholder terms until their cards have expired, Consumer Action believes it is unlikely that these banks have changed their policies."
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lists of Banks that Are and Are Not Reducing Limits

Thanks Plasticguy.

I will wait for my letter from Amex, but I already know that one of the reasons was the six day late, and the other reason is that my mortage (which is not subprime) is held by Countrywide.

Message 2 of 16
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Amex and to a lesser extent, Chase, have been cutting credit lines. I fully expect most CCC issuers to follow Amex and Chase. I expect much of my available credit to be reduced in the coming months.
Message 3 of 16
heirophant
Established Contributor

I guess that means that we that went on app sprees last year and early this year were wise to diversify our portfolios to soften the blow.
Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

The whole situation is so annoying. My scores have gone up, I haven't been late on anything in 2 years, my worst and most recent baddies have all been removed, I've PIF most accts and have paid the last 2 remaining balances below 25%, and in general everything has shown improvement.

USBank is one of my oldest CC (almost at the 20 year mark) and I've never been late with them. Earlier this year I paid my balance down to below 25% of my CL. Less than a month later they CLD me to just above the remaining limit. The've been chasing my CL ever since. It continually makes me look like I'm nearly maxed on that CC. I assume they'll cancel me when I pay it off.

I'm so frustrated because I'd love to PIF and tell them to bite me but I'm going to take a big age hit if I close it. It drives me crazy that I'm trying so hard to do everything right and still being punished. I realize it's a business decision, but they're the only CC now making me look like a current risk! I just got a new Amex this year so I'm also worried that this USB situation will give them an excuse to CLD me or pull my acct all together! Smiley Mad 

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't been CLD to date.  I hope it continuesSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 16
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

chase CLD my father last year after he paid the account off in full after carrying high balance.
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU has not, and will not, CLD its customers for anything other than poor payment history.

They are a CU and much more strictly funded and guided in their finances. I have spoken to the teller, the CSRs on the phone, and my branch manager to confirm this.

Message 8 of 16
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Chase gave me a 4.5k cli last week. 

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 9 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Optimistic08 wrote:

I'm so frustrated because I'd love to PIF and tell them to bite me but I'm going to take a big age hit if I close it. Smiley Mad 

Sorry to hear they bit you! Smiley Sad

Just to clarify for anyone else reading, a closed card will (should) report for 10 more years after closing. Any damage to history won't occur until then. But if it was by far the oldest credit account, with a gap of more than several years between it and the next-oldest one, you will definitely get a ding 10 years from now.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 10-09-2008 06:14 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.