cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Living Abroad with Credit cards help!

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Living Abroad with Credit cards help!

@MugenCivicSi83 wrote:

Can Discover not be used online to purchase things in switzerland?

I didn't think to address this directly... it can be used online, but the Diner's Club 'loophole' probably won't work online (for example, if you were to find a place that took Diner's online but not Discover).  I mention this because in the US the reverse is known not to work (it's been reported that you can't enter a JCB as a Discover card online, the website has to explicitly take JCB).  Note that in-person you should have no problems using your Discover where Diner's Club is accepted even if there's no Discover signage; at least that's the way it's supposed to work.  Smiley Wink

I checked several of the Amazon sites in the EU (UK, DE and FR) and none of them take Discover, so you would be out of luck there.  Of course if it would be cost effective you could still order from Amazon.com (US), use your Discover, and have them ship to CH.  I've occasionally done it the other way (order from UK and FR to have it delivered here) when it made sense economically (and the item wasn't available here - of course I had to use MC/VI/AX for those purchases since they were billed from the EU).

Assuming you don't stay in CH all the time, if it were me I would try to use my Discover in the airport or (depending on the carrier) possibly for an in-flight purchase.  You have other cards that have higher rewards rates for the ticket purchase so you probably don't want to give that up, but possibly you can use the Discover to take care of an incidental purchase somewhere in-route. 

There's not been much recent feedback on this so all many of us can do is offer suggestions of things that "might" be helpful... when you get there (and have time to catch your breath, of course) come back on here and let us know what worked for your particular situation!  Smiley Happy

Edit:  fixed typo

Message 11 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I've found some of the more recent threads that have data points regarding overseas use of Discover; I've tried to only provide links if the data points involve Europe (and not Asia), but there is some overlap. 

I don't think an of them are too lengthy, so it shouldn't be hard to give them a quick glance should you choose to for data points regarding your original Discover question.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-no-FTF-but-can-t-use-anywhere-It-seems/td-p/42...

(Note post(s) by user RedMiniStapler)

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-No-Foriegn-Transaction-Fee/td-p/4451833

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-in-Europe/td-p/4662866

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/No-Foreign-Fee-No-Annual-fee-CC/td-p/4113953/page/3

(I think Discover-centric info starts around page 3 depending on how you are viewing the website, i.e. it might vary on mobile)

I hope these links might provide some additional data points from different voices.  Smiley Happy

Something that was a recurring theme in a couple of the threads that's not yet been mentioned here is Dynamic Currency Conversion... that's when overseas the merchant offers to charge you in US dollars instead of the local currency.  It's to your advantage to always make them charge you in the local currency, since your conversion rate with your own card (any of them) will almost always be better than the rate provided by the merchant's provider.  Smiley Wink

DCC is usually a problem/"offered" with MC/Visa transactions, but I mention it here since I've I don't recall seeing it brought up yet, although I may have overlooked it (please accept my apologies if I have; there's quite a bit of info in this thread.)

More info on DCC here:  http://thepointsguy.com/2015/06/dynamic-currency-conversion/

Message 12 of 16
MugenCivicSi83
Frequent Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

I've found some of the more recent threads that have data points regarding overseas use of Discover; I've tried to only provide links if the data points involve Europe (and not Asia), but there is some overlap. 

I don't think an of them are too lengthy, so it shouldn't be hard to give them a quick glance should you choose to for data points regarding your original Discover question.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-no-FTF-but-can-t-use-anywhere-It-seems/td-p/42...

(Note post(s) by user RedMiniStapler)

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-No-Foriegn-Transaction-Fee/td-p/4451833

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-in-Europe/td-p/4662866

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/No-Foreign-Fee-No-Annual-fee-CC/td-p/4113953/page/3

(I think Discover-centric info starts around page 3 depending on how you are viewing the website, i.e. it might vary on mobile)

I hope these links might provide some additional data points from different voices.  Smiley Happy

Something that was a recurring theme in a couple of the threads that's not yet been mentioned here is Dynamic Currency Conversion... that's when overseas the merchant offers to charge you in US dollars instead of the local currency.  It's to your advantage to always make them charge you in the local currency, since your conversion rate with your own card (any of them) will almost always be better than the rate provided by the merchant's provider.  Smiley Wink

DCC is usually a problem/"offered" with MC/Visa transactions, but I mention it here since I've I don't recall seeing it brought up yet, although I may have overlooked it (please accept my apologies if I have; there's quite a bit of info in this thread.)

More info on DCC here:  http://thepointsguy.com/2015/06/dynamic-currency-conversion/

Thank you so much for digging up this info! I really appreciate it and I will definitely keep everyone on here updated on my adventure and share lots of data on my spending habits and how each of the cards work in Switzerland. 

FICO 8 Scores: EX 706 (11/3/2016) EQ 696 (11/17/16) TU 708 (11/17/2016)

"Use your Credit wisely, don't let it use you!"~Me Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 16
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@MugenCivicSi83 wrote:
Barclay Apple Rewards: $2k CL

This one was a WTH kind of app like, My wife and I need a new laptop for overseas, and I'm an apple guru so...I app'd, 18months no interest. New Macbook pro here I come. 3 points per $1. $25 apple store card per 2500 points. Looking to get iphone 7 too before we leave....have had the 6 since i preordered it.

Make sure that any new phone is bought in Switzerland if your going to be there for at least 1 yr. It might not be obvious but every carrier customizes their version for connectivity to their network and there are differences in communication between a roaming US phone and a Swiss phone when they talk with the tower. Roaming phones usually do not get access to the top of the line communications because they don't share bands. Buying a local phone will be cheaper and will offer you better connectivity than any US handset. T-Mobile and AT&T will get you better service internationally in that order than Verizon(a few phones have sim slots). Sprint is flat out dead last once you leave their network since you can not add a sim on any of their phones.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 14 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@zerofire wrote:

@MugenCivicSi83 wrote:

This one was a WTH kind of app like, My wife and I need a new laptop for overseas, and I'm an apple guru so...I app'd, 18months no interest. New Macbook pro here I come. 3 points per $1. $25 apple store card per 2500 points. Looking to get iphone 7 too before we leave....have had the 6 since i preordered it.

Make sure that any new phone is bought in Switzerland if your going to be there for at least 1 yr. It might not be obvious but every carrier customizes their version for connectivity to their network and there are differences in communication between a roaming US phone and a Swiss phone when they talk with the tower. Roaming phones usually do not get access to the top of the line communications because they don't share bands. Buying a local phone will be cheaper and will offer you better connectivity than any US handset. T-Mobile and AT&T will get you better service internationally in that order than Verizon(a few phones have sim slots). Sprint is flat out dead last once you leave their network since you can not add a sim on any of their phones.

Since he's looking at the iPhone 7 he should be fine... it's pretty comprehensive when it comes to the various LTE bands.

Message 15 of 16
MugenCivicSi83
Frequent Contributor

@zerofire wrote:

@MugenCivicSi83 wrote:

I planned on purchasing an iPhone 7 Plus Unlocked with no carrier while i'm here in the US. shouldn't that suffice?

FICO 8 Scores: EX 706 (11/3/2016) EQ 696 (11/17/16) TU 708 (11/17/2016)

"Use your Credit wisely, don't let it use you!"~Me Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.