cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long time listener, first time caller. (3 for 3)

tag
m5ind
Established Member

Long time listener, first time caller. (3 for 3)

Based on what I've read over time here on these boards, I've figured it'd be best to try and get a good bit of credit established while I'm still young (20) and apply for some new cards. I've had a Cap One Journey ($750 CL) and a 5/3 platinum Mastercard ($300 CL) for about ten months now, always made payments on time and sometimes multiple payments in one month due to the low limits. I only had two wishes with my cards that I got, one being that I wanted an Amex to get my foot in the door with the company and the other was that I wanted one that I could use at work (Sam's Club, only takes Discover and Mastercard.) 

My first attempt was with Amex. I searched around on their website a bit, and I decided that the Clear was my best shot. Applied for that card on 3/15, instant approval with a $1k limit. I was ecstatic. It also seems that I was one of the last ones to get this card. Literally right after I was approved, it was removed from the available cards list on the Amex website.

Next, I wanted a charge card, something I could use in place of my debit card so I could earn some rewards instead of getting nothing, like I was. Poked around the Amex site again, naturally, and after reading here that the gold card had about the same approval criteria as the green card, decided I'd try for the gold card. Applied on 3/21. Instant approval again with no preset spending limit. 

And finally, something I could use at work. I searched around for the best options that were out there for Mastercard, though I never really found anything that I really liked and felt I could get approved for easily. I decided to take a chance on Discover, since a lot of folks have nothing but good things to say about the company. If the Sam's Discover card was actually through Discover, I probably would have went for that, but after working first hand with GE customer service I decided not to go that route. That only left the Discover It card. Applied tonight (3/24) and again was approved instantly.

I want to thank the folks of this board here for all of the advice that was given out over time here. It all proved very useful for me in making the decisions that I did and I doubt I could have went 3 for 3 without the info.  I suppose now that It's time for me to get in the garden, with so many other folks on here and let these accounts age some. 

And I can finally throw the 5/3 card in the safe. The low limit was driving me up the wall!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Long time listener, first time caller. (3 for 3)

Welcome to the forum and congrats

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congratulations and welcome to the forum! You have an impressive line up of new cc's and it appears your research has paid off. So, I will see you in the garden - best time to plant those seedlings is the Spring!!
Message 3 of 13
m5ind
Established Member

Thanks guys. I really didn't expect it to turn out as well as it did for me. I'm very happy with what I've got and feel like I can hold off for a good long while now.

Hopefully I'll find out the limit on the It card soon. Also, they need to come in the mail. Like now. I've already made wallet space for them.

I'm impatient like that. 

Message 4 of 13
sonson
Regular Contributor

Congrats on the approvals great job.

Starting Score: EQ 548 [ Feb 2010 ]
Current Score: TU 663 EQ 686
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 13
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

Cha Ching....  Nice start

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 6 of 13
boomhower
Valued Contributor

congrats!

Message 7 of 13
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@m5ind wrote:

Based on what I've read over time here on these boards, I've figured it'd be best to try and get a good bit of credit established while I'm still young (20) and apply for some new cards. I've had a Cap One Journey ($750 CL) and a 5/3 platinum Mastercard ($300 CL) for about ten months now, always made payments on time and sometimes multiple payments in one month due to the low limits. I only had two wishes with my cards that I got, one being that I wanted an Amex to get my foot in the door with the company and the other was that I wanted one that I could use at work (Sam's Club, only takes Discover and Mastercard.) 

My first attempt was with Amex. I searched around on their website a bit, and I decided that the Clear was my best shot. Applied for that card on 3/15, instant approval with a $1k limit. I was ecstatic. It also seems that I was one of the last ones to get this card. Literally right after I was approved, it was removed from the available cards list on the Amex website.

Next, I wanted a charge card, something I could use in place of my debit card so I could earn some rewards instead of getting nothing, like I was. Poked around the Amex site again, naturally, and after reading here that the gold card had about the same approval criteria as the green card, decided I'd try for the gold card. Applied on 3/21. Instant approval again with no preset spending limit. 

And finally, something I could use at work. I searched around for the best options that were out there for Mastercard, though I never really found anything that I really liked and felt I could get approved for easily. I decided to take a chance on Discover, since a lot of folks have nothing but good things to say about the company. If the Sam's Discover card was actually through Discover, I probably would have went for that, but after working first hand with GE customer service I decided not to go that route. That only left the Discover It card. Applied tonight (3/24) and again was approved instantly.

I want to thank the folks of this board here for all of the advice that was given out over time here. It all proved very useful for me in making the decisions that I did and I doubt I could have went 3 for 3 without the info.  I suppose now that It's time for me to get in the garden, with so many other folks on here and let these accounts age some. 

And I can finally throw the 5/3 card in the safe. The low limit was driving me up the wall!

Awesome! Welcome to the site officially Smiley Very Happy

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 8 of 13
m5ind
Established Member

Thanks again, guys. Both the Clear and the Gold came in the mail today. Looks like it's time to buy a new wallet. Which card should get the honors?

Time to start putting my post signature together soon too! And then I'll see yous in the garden. 

Message 9 of 13
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Welcome and congrats on your start. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.