cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long time no see..Card Question [ update, got Amex BCE but still have questions]

tag
Chickenpotpie
Frequent Contributor

Re: Long time no see..Card Question

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Chickenpotpie wrote:

Ok so I ended up with Amex BCE.  surprised by the low limit though (3K)   should I just hold on that or ask for a CLI?  CLI's is a bit of uncharted territory so really interested in what to do here.

Limits are based on what your credit and income qualify for with a given creditor.  Your call on the CLI.  If you have not already then read the 3x CLI Guide.  It should be linked in the stickies in this subforum.  If not you can easily Google it.

@Chickenpotpie wrote:

So whats worth getting at this time?  I only want and need one but I'm pretty confused as to which one to get!

Others helped you out with this but worth is always highly subjective and you have to tell us what you're specifically looking for from a card.  If this was a universal matter then we wouldn't need the discussion forum and could just refer to a list of cards.  Needs/wants/priorities/spend/preferences etc all vary so cards are not one-size-fits-all.

Utilization is a tricky criterion becase we have no idea what limits you stand to receive from any creditor.  Rewards are a bit more clear cut in that you should know where your spend goes and how much is in each category so you can use that info to do the math to determine what would benefit you the most.  It does get a bit trickier with point/miles cards as the value of the rewards can be impacted by the redemption process so you have to do some more research into the different rewards programs to see which ones you can make the best use of.

We also can't determine the APR that you'd qualify for but APR should be a lower concern as you really should be paying all cards in full.

I do pay the cards in full generally.  Last month I believe I left some on the Amazon card which hadn't shown up by the time I paid it.   At the time of my other cards, they had a 0 balance.   I don't use cards unless I have means of paying them back.  But I did close a card that I used to get back on my feet with (900 dollar balance, no CLI since I got it and they were't gonna either) 

My paypal credit has things on it, but I used 6 months 0 interst  0 payment on those until a month before they're due.  May as well!  So aside from that, its just regular bills, which I do use my Chase card for as much as I can (can't do it for everything but I try).  Last month I did buy a new car, so I do wonder if that has something to do with what they gave me as well because that looked like they pulled all three twice though they only used TU.    I ended up with Amex BCE in the end because I don't travel much for work and, I don't really want to deal with rotating categories and such. 

Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.