Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long winded credit card question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Long winded credit card question

Hey everyone, I’m still pretty new here but I’m looking for suggestions on a third card. Get ready for a long winded post lol!

So I’m building my credit and I’ve had some great success recently as I’ve brought up both my TU and EQ to nearly 700 (698 and 686 respectively). My EX is sitting considerably lower at around 625 because of a collection that I’m working on getting deleted. (I’m not applying for anything until that gets deleted and maybe a while after that if my EX doesn’t shoot up considerably)

So I’m looking for a third card to apply for in the future and I just can’t seem to decide which one. I currently have the Discover it Chrome with a limit of $500 and an Amazon Visa with a limit of $500. My AAoA is a little over 6 months and I’ve had my two cards for about 3 months-ish but I’ll wait at least until they’re both 6 months old. I almost never go over 20% usage unless it's a large purchase and I always pay it off before the statement cut. Except for once I let a balance report (less than 10%) because I've heard that's also good to do?

I would really love a travel rewards card but I can’t decide which one. I’m looking at the CSP, Amex PRG, Citi Premier and more recently the Venture. The Venture is really my last choice though (and unfortunately probably the easiest to qualify for right? lol). I will be traveling only domestically and don’t really have an airline of choice so that isn't something I'm worried about.

So my main questions are, will the PRG be useful in building credit since it’s a charge card?  If it isn’t I might consider getting another card (maybe a CapOne Quiksilver or something along those lines?) along with the PRG because I’ve heard 3 cards is optimal for building credit. 

Also, I’m a student so I don’t make much money at my job but my parents to help me out quite a lot by moving money over to me for rent, bills and food. Could I add this in to my income since many applications ask for the amount of money you have “reasonable access" to? I just want to boost my odds the best I can without lying obviously and I’ve read that’s fairly common for students to do. Also I would wait until I could meet the minimum spend requirements with a few big purchases I’ve been planning and saving for anyways.

Do you guys think I have a shot at any of these cards since I’m so new to the game? Any other recs?

Thanks everyone! And sorry for the long windedness I just like to be thorough so I can get the best recommendations haha.
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Long winded credit card question

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey everyone, I’m still pretty new here but I’m looking for suggestions on a third card. Get ready for a long winded post lol!

So I’m building my credit and I’ve had some great success recently as I’ve brought up both my TU and EQ to nearly 700 (698 and 686 respectively). My EX is sitting considerably lower at around 625 because of a collection that I’m working on getting deleted. (I’m not applying for anything until that gets deleted and maybe a while after that if my EX doesn’t shoot up considerably)

So I’m looking for a third card to apply for in the future and I just can’t seem to decide which one. I currently have the Discover it Chrome with a limit of $500 and an Amazon Visa with a limit of $500. My AAoA is a little over 6 months and I’ve had my two cards for about 3 months-ish but I’ll wait at least until they’re both 6 months old. I almost never go over 20% usage unless it's a large purchase and I always pay it off before the statement cut. Except for once I let a balance report (less than 10%) because I've heard that's also good to do?

I would really love a travel rewards card but I can’t decide which one. I’m looking at the CSP, Amex PRG, Citi Premier and more recently the Venture. The Venture is really my last choice though (and unfortunately probably the easiest to qualify for right? lol). I will be traveling only domestically and don’t really have an airline of choice so that isn't something I'm worried about.

So my main questions are, will the PRG be useful in building credit since it’s a charge card?  If it isn’t I might consider getting another card (maybe a CapOne Quiksilver or something along those lines?) along with the PRG because I’ve heard 3 cards is optimal for building credit. 

Also, I’m a student so I don’t make much money at my job but my parents to help me out quite a lot by moving money over to me for rent, bills and food. Could I add this in to my income since many applications ask for the amount of money you have “reasonable access" to? I just want to boost my odds the best I can without lying obviously and I’ve read that’s fairly common for students to do. Also I would wait until I could meet the minimum spend requirements with a few big purchases I’ve been planning and saving for anyways.

Do you guys think I have a shot at any of these cards since I’m so new to the game? Any other recs?

Thanks everyone! And sorry for the long windedness I just like to be thorough so I can get the best recommendations haha.

I think you're definitely going to have a hard time getting approved for the CSP bcause of your credit age and current limits.  Could be the same issue with Citi so I think your best chances is the Venture.  Have you checked the CapOne preapproval?  Your Experian score is probably too low ofr Amex.  That really needs to be closer to 660.  As to your question about the PRG, it does help with building credit as any positive account helps.  Because there is no limit, i doesn't help with overall utilization so it won't help out there.

One question for you?  Why a travel rewards card now if you are a student with limited income?  Are you going to be able to take advantage of the benefits of a travel card right now?  Maybe for a third card, a cashback card might be a better option right now.  Just a suggestion.

Message 2 of 26
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I’m building my credit and I’ve had some great success recently as I’ve brought up both my TU and EQ to nearly 700 (698 and 686 respectively). My EX is sitting considerably lower at around 625 because of a collection that I’m working on getting deleted. (I’m not applying for anything until that gets deleted and maybe a while after that if my EX doesn’t shoot up considerably)  Bravo on thinking things out thoroughly 

So my main questions are, will the PRG be useful in building credit since it’s a charge card? CC's, Charge cards and secured cards are all useful and viewed the same in Fico eyes 

If it isn’t I might consider getting another card (maybe a CapOne Quiksilver or something along those lines?) along with the PRG because I’ve heard 3 cards is optimal for building credit. 

Also, I’m a student so I don’t make much money at my job but my parents to help me out quite a lot by moving money over to me for rent, bills and food. Could I add this in to my income since many applications ask for the amount of money you have “reasonable access" to? In this case yes but do not overextend the income to look good on the app

I just want to boost my odds the best I can without lying obviously and I’ve read that’s fairly common for students to do. Also I would wait until I could meet the minimum spend requirements with a few big purchases I’ve been planning and saving for anyways.

Thanks everyone! And sorry for the long windedness I just like to be thorough so I can get the best recommendations haha.My God breathe ..Lol

Any of the cards you like will serve your purpose and all are obtainable if you stick with your plan. I got the sense in reading ths long winded draft  (Lol) that you really want the PRG for the bonus and the benefits....It's a really good card in my opinion and very useful

I would also rate Chase, Amex as best in points value with Citi coming up fast  but just lacking more transfer partners....

Also to note and this is something to consider.... PRG you must pick a airline each year for airline credit so factor this into your choice 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I was thinking with both the CSP and Premier especially with my current low limits. I figured something from CapOne would be a good next step because they're nicer with their limits it seems but I just don't want to waste a hardpull on a card I really don't want much but I guess being this early on in the game I can't really be too picky huh? lol

Since my utilization is never high the PRG could be a good card for me then maybe right? I mean after my EX comes up closer to 700 of course haha.

And my income is limited but luckily I don't have anything I really need to use that income for as my parents help me out a ton in the finanical department and they've encouraged me to travel more before I graduate. Both my Discover and Amazon card offer me cashback and honestly the cashback isn't as exciting to me as earning  "points" or "miles" on a card. 

Thank you for your reply!

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That's what I was thinking with both the CSP and Premier especially with my current low limits. I figured something from CapOne would be a good next step because they're nicer with their limits it seems but I just don't want to waste a hardpull on a card I really don't want much but I guess being this early on in the game I can't really be too picky huh? lol

Since my utilization is never high the PRG could be a good card for me then maybe right? I mean after my EX comes up closer to 700 of course haha.

And my income is limited but luckily I don't have anything I really need to use that income for as my parents help me out a ton in the finanical department and they've encouraged me to travel more before I graduate. Both my Discover and Amazon card offer me cashback and honestly the cashback isn't as exciting to me as earning  "points" or "miles" on a card. 

Thank you for your reply!

Ok, that makes sense.  I would go the Venture and the PRG route.  Different cards and benefits but both worthwhile.  Good luck with getting that collection removed and let us know when ou get approved.

Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Myjourney, thank you for your reply! (I'm not sure how to quote people on this forum my apologies)

I do really like the idea of the PRG and I feel like it's a nice card to have that is a bit easier to get earlier on if your score supports it. I think that will probably be the first one I app for anyways when I get my collection off and my score up AND my current cards reach atleast 6 months. I wasn't aware of the rule about picking your airline to get the airline credit so that's really good to know!

Thanks again!

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, Irish80! Y'all will be the first to know when I app and my results! Although I can almost assure you I will be back with more questions haha thanks again Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 26
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Myjourney, thank you for your reply! (I'm not sure how to quote people on this forum my apologies)

I do really like the idea of the PRG and I feel like it's a nice card to have that is a bit easier to get earlier on if your score supports it. I think that will probably be the first one I app for anyways when I get my collection off and my score up AND my current cards reach atleast 6 months. I wasn't aware of the rule about picking your airline to get the airline credit so that's really good to know!

Thanks again!

Forum quoting 

Click reply 

Top righthand corner hit quote 

Enter response 

I think PRG is a very good choice for 3 reasons 

MR points 

Great travel perks 

Forces you to only spend what you can afford monthly ....Due in full each month

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks again!

Forum quoting 

Click reply 

Enter response 

MR points 

Great travel perks 

Ah thanks for the tip! haha I think the PRG will be the first one I go after and then garden for 6-12 months and then maybe go after the CSP or Premier Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 26
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks again!

Forum quoting 

Click reply 

Enter response 

MR points 

Great travel perks 

Ah thanks for the tip! haha I think the PRG will be the first one I go after and then garden for 6-12 months and then maybe go after the CSP or Premier Smiley Happy

I like this plan even more 

Stage 1 and 2

Plan your work and work your plan ...Bravo

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.