Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long winded credit card question

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Long winded credit card question

Yes, theoretically you could alternate them reporting.

My opinion is that is probably not worth the effort, since the score only really matters if you are apping. While you are just going about your business, your FICO score, whether it is 5 points higher or lower, has no meaning in your daily life. The effort necessary to manage cards to zero at specific times, though... You are free to do that.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 21 of 26
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

........ I don't quite understand the logistics of reporting and not reporting vs statement cut dates and all of that just yet haha

That's easy. Statement date = statement cut date = reporting date. I.e., all 3 of those dates are the same date.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 22 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Long winded is my middle name, I think my first post here was 6 pages LOL

So we can get a better idea here please list your monthly spend estimates in their respective categories (gas, grocery, dining, department stores, and everything that doesnt fall into a category)

I would say the goal now would be to build credit, focus on the 3rd card, pay everything off before statement cut date except for one card let $5 report.  If you have no plans on any car/home loans in the next 6-12 months, you can start using your credit inquiries to get some bonuses as your scores improve.

You have the discover it chrome right now and amazon visa.  Dont use your debit card at all for anything. Always use these cards and pay them off.

Glad you are in with chase right now. You may consider getting a Freedom card hopefully get $150 back after 500 spend, and use that same set of credit pulls to also grab the AARP so you get 3 percent off dining and gas, and after you spend 500 on that you get $200 credit.

Now here is the thing.  You are probably already good to get approved for the Amex.  How often do you travel?  Do you have any Delta hubs near you?  If you fly delta even one a year the PRG could make sense.  If you can afford to spend $2k in 90 days (maybe pay some parents utility bills with it if you have to?) you could use 1 experian inquiry and apply for the prg 50k offer (dont app for the 25k one) and ALSO grab the delta 50k offer.  Using just that 1 inquiry 99.9999999% of the time, you will end up with 100k points and $250 towards delta.  Its a no brainer.  And then if you end up not flying often, you can product change the delta gold to the $55 classic version ( i think thats possible?) although theyd possibly offer you a retention offer, meaning they will not make you pay the full annual fee once it hits after the first year.  Or just go with the hilton amex.

Another option would be Amex PRG plus the ED. That way you would have a no annual fee place to park points in the even you decide to cancel the PRG.  

This May/June I will have had mine for a year. I am going to evaluate all of my spending/traveling. I may end up switching my ED to the preferred version as it earns more points and close out the PRG.

If you can be flexible with dates and such this scenario should make sense.  If you dont have flexibility then you would be better off with something else.

Another option: https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/expedia-voyager-credit-card-from-citi-review/  would be good if you stay at any hotels on this list often https://www.expedia.com/rewards/vipaccess

Today I was browsing random credit cards, I will have to find the link. But I found a card for students from a credit union. It was pretty cool.  It had a fixed apr of 10%...BUT that was only for balances over $250.  Which for a student that could be helpful.  That is the ongoing rate on the card, not intro either.

Can the OP ever convert the it chrome to a regular disco it?  (Mod Cut-Link, Im sorry that site cannot be linked on myFico)

Lastly, I think you would be a great candidtate for a Bank of America Better Balance Rewards.  Automatic $25-$30 every 3 months, Year after year.  My hopes are you can swap the version on the discover...use your established relationship with chase to get a better card with them, and figure out what makes you the most in terms of rewards/cash back!

Bottom line, as a student, you would be best suited to keep things simple, dont apply for things just because they look appealing.  If you have a permanent address with your parents you may be allowed to use their income on your applications if they help pay your bills (they even state sometimes please include all sources of income made available to you to pay your bills).  Try not to get too crazy but its great to get some bonuses from time to time.  Later on with higher income the better cards will make more sense.... The freedom/aarp combo should be first on your list due to their bonus after low spend, intro promo, and cash back. Slow and steady wins the race!

Good luck!

Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So we can get a better idea here please list your monthly spend estimates in their respective categories (gas, grocery, dining, department stores, and everything that doesnt fall into a category)

I would say the goal now would be to build credit, focus on the 3rd card, pay everything off before statement cut date except for one card let $5 report.  If you have no plans on any car/home loans in the next 6-12 months, you can start using your credit inquiries to get some bonuses as your scores improve.

You have the discover it chrome right now and amazon visa.  Dont use your debit card at all for anything. Always use these cards and pay them off.

Glad you are in with chase right now. You may consider getting a Freedom card hopefully get $150 back after 500 spend, and use that same set of credit pulls to also grab the AARP so you get 3 percent off dining and gas, and after you spend 500 on that you get $200 credit.

Now here is the thing.  You are probably already good to get approved for the Amex.  How often do you travel?  Do you have any Delta hubs near you?  If you fly delta even one a year the PRG could make sense.  If you can afford to spend $2k in 90 days (maybe pay some parents utility bills with it if you have to?) you could use 1 experian inquiry and apply for the prg 50k offer (dont app for the 25k one) and ALSO grab the delta 50k offer.  Using just that 1 inquiry 99.9999999% of the time, you will end up with 100k points and $250 towards delta.  Its a no brainer.  And then if you end up not flying often, you can product change the delta gold to the $55 classic version ( i think thats possible?) although theyd possibly offer you a retention offer, meaning they will not make you pay the full annual fee once it hits after the first year.  Or just go with the hilton amex.

Another option would be Amex PRG plus the ED. That way you would have a no annual fee place to park points in the even you decide to cancel the PRG.  

This May/June I will have had mine for a year. I am going to evaluate all of my spending/traveling. I may end up switching my ED to the preferred version as it earns more points and close out the PRG.

If you can be flexible with dates and such this scenario should make sense.  If you dont have flexibility then you would be better off with something else.

Another option: https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/expedia-voyager-credit-card-from-citi-review/  would be good if you stay at any hotels on this list often https://www.expedia.com/rewards/vipaccess

Today I was browsing random credit cards, I will have to find the link. But I found a card for students from a credit union. It was pretty cool.  It had a fixed apr of 10%...BUT that was only for balances over $250.  Which for a student that could be helpful.  That is the ongoing rate on the card, not intro either.

Can the OP ever convert the it chrome to a regular disco it?  (Mod Cut-Link, Im sorry that site cannot be linked on myFico)

Lastly, I think you would be a great candidtate for a Bank of America Better Balance Rewards.  Automatic $25-$30 every 3 months, Year after year.  My hopes are you can swap the version on the discover...use your established relationship with chase to get a better card with them, and figure out what makes you the most in terms of rewards/cash back!

Bottom line, as a student, you would be best suited to keep things simple, dont apply for things just because they look appealing.  If you have a permanent address with your parents you may be allowed to use their income on your applications if they help pay your bills (they even state sometimes please include all sources of income made available to you to pay your bills).  Try not to get too crazy but its great to get some bonuses from time to time.  Later on with higher income the better cards will make more sense.... The freedom/aarp combo should be first on your list due to their bonus after low spend, intro promo, and cash back. Slow and steady wins the race!

Good luck!

Glad to know I'm not the only long winded one around here then! haha

To be honest my spending fluctuates so much depending on different things...I never really follow a consistent budget but I do know that I tend to spend most of my money on gas and eating out haha

I've considered getting a freedom card because it would help me get points faster for when I get a CSP down the road so I should probably look into that one soon.

The AARP card does look like a good deal but I just don't find cash back all that helpful for me, I would much rather get points for travel as I feel like that's a better deal for me right now.

I don't travel much just yet but I have some plans for this year to take a few trips (with or without points paying for the tickets) and my nearest airport is DFW so I basically have my pick when it comes to airlines. I really like the plan you mentioned about getting the Delta AMEX and getting the points! But I know for sure I wouldn't want both cards with an annual fee.

I think my best bet right now is to get rid of the collection, get my AAoA up and then apply for the PRG and possibly the ED card so I can bank my points there if I decide the AF of the PRG is too much for me in the future. 

I think I have read that a PC from the chrome to the regular Discover it is possible so I may look into that as well. I really wish that you could PC to the Discover it Miles card haha.

Thank you for your advice! Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Good luck!

To be honest my spending fluctuates so much depending on different things...I never really follow a consistent budget but I do know that I tend to spend most of my money on gas and eating out haha

I've considered getting a freedom card because it would help me get points faster for when I get a CSP down the road so I should probably look into that one soon.

The AARP card does look like a good deal but I just don't find cash back all that helpful for me, I would much rather get points for travel as I feel like that's a better deal for me right now.

I don't travel much just yet but I have some plans for this year to take a few trips (with or without points paying for the tickets) and my nearest airport is DFW so I basically have my pick when it comes to airlines. I really like the plan you mentioned about getting the Delta AMEX and getting the points! But I know for sure I wouldn't want both cards with an annual fee.

I think my best bet right now is to get rid of the collection, get my AAoA up and then apply for the PRG and possibly the ED card so I can bank my points there if I decide the AF of the PRG is too much for me in the future. 

I think I have read that a PC from the chrome to the regular Discover it is possible so I may look into that as well. I really wish that you could PC to the Discover it Miles card haha.

good plan.  also you dont always need a place to park MR points...they are best redeemed through delta, and delta points never expire, so just transfer them to delta if you wanted to close the card.  No AF the first year on either the PRG or delta gold. Plus that delta gold would probably come with 50 or 60k miles vs 10 or 15k MR points.

Dont forget about amex offers. They are for just about anything, from 10 off 15 for hulu, 15 off 75 for cell phone bills, random amounts for hotel/travel, airbnb, the list goes on.

The miles PC would be good only if you were in the double cash promotion honestly, making it 3 percent on everything.  basically for most of these higher end AF cards you would need to spend a certain amount each year on them for them to even make sense, excluding the bonus offers.  For example, with my PRG, if My AF is $95 after redeeming for a $100 travel credit or gift cards, I would need to spend $2375 a year on dining, gas, or groceries just to break even with the AF.

Message 25 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Good luck!

good plan.  also you dont always need a place to park MR points...they are best redeemed through delta, and delta points never expire, so just transfer them to delta if you wanted to close the card.  No AF the first year on either the PRG or delta gold. Plus that delta gold would probably come with 50 or 60k miles vs 10 or 15k MR points.

Dont forget about amex offers. They are for just about anything, from 10 off 15 for hulu, 15 off 75 for cell phone bills, random amounts for hotel/travel, airbnb, the list goes on.

The miles PC would be good only if you were in the double cash promotion honestly, making it 3 percent on everything.  basically for most of these higher end AF cards you would need to spend a certain amount each year on them for them to even make sense, excluding the bonus offers.  For example, with my PRG, if My AF is $95 after redeeming for a $100 travel credit or gift cards, I would need to spend $2375 a year on dining, gas, or groceries just to break even with the AF.

That's good to know about the delta points not expiring! I might look more into that option then if I can get around 100k miles that would be awesome! 

I also didn't know about amex offers haha that sounds like a pretty great perk as well Smiley Happy

I can see myself breaking even on the PRG AF pretty quickly since I eat out and buy gas so much. The more I think about it the more the PRG makes sense for me especially after you've brought up all these extra perks!

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.