Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Longetivity of the 2% cards

tag
Schumy

Longetivity of the 2% cards

hello,

i have read a few posts where the thought is the citi double might be cancelled at some point. i am wondering why this card might be thought to be cancelled at some point and why i have not seen any message of the arrival+, capital one venture, or BofA travel rewards (for those with high return rates, although the return one those receiving greater than 2% is due to account interest). i am looking to apply soon for the citi double, and i know no one can predict the future, but curious why a travel card with 2% return would live longer than a cash rewards card with the same return rate.

Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Longetivity of the 2% cards

I believe that it's sustainable.

Message 2 of 50
pkosheta
Contributor

Annual fees apply to those cards, they thus have an additional revenue stream outside of swipe fees and interest.  Fidelity shows that a 2% card can thrive for a long period of time without an annual fee, but I doubt it's a huge money maker for them.   Citi's advantage is that the 2% is not upfront and there is an enticement to pay down the debt rather that default, the 1% cash back.  Rewards play havoc with the mind and the that 1% May be enough to get people to be people to pay citi back 1st, or at least try to.  Basically it reduces risk in an innovative way, whether it really works remains to be seen

Age 29
AU- United+ Visa 33k, *97. GM MasterCard 15k, *95.
Individual- PenFed Plat Rew 7k, *08. Amex Blue 6.7k, *12. Hilton Amex 5.5k, *12. Chase Sapphire 15k, *12. U.S. Bank Cash+ 12.3k, *12. Barclays Priceline.com Rewards Visa 11k, *13. Citi DoubleCash (PC'd in *14) 7k, *13. Club Carlson Premier 9k, *13.
Message 3 of 50
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

then there is nasa, with no af

Message 4 of 50
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@juggalo9er wrote:

NASA has a threshold before you get 2%, although that is very small.   It also pays out just once a year and that reduces costs.

Message 5 of 50
Schumy

right, i forgot about the annual fees. good points across the board. still hesitant on the citi double given i am pretty conservative with credit, but you guys all make good points.

Message 6 of 50
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@juggalo9er wrote:

NASA has a threshold before you get 2%, although that is very small.   It also pays out just once a year and that reduces costs.

^+1

Message 7 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe that it's sustainable.

I agree, I believe they are way too many clueless people who would carry a balance on this card, even for short whiles, to make it profitable.

BTW, the clueless debt carriers I am referring are of course not the well informed, and well justified goof folks in this forum, but those disgusting ignoramuses out there that have debt for NO VALID REASON.  God, I hate them so much (but thanks for financing this and other cards....)

Message 8 of 50
LuckyBird
Regular Contributor

There are swipe fees from the merchant that are greater than 2%...not a lot higher than that, but I'm sure they're making money on quantity.  I would guess the Double Cash gets used a LOT more than other cards that have say, a 1% reward for the consumer.  I know it does in our house...anything that doesn't qualify for a higher reward on another card automatically goes on Double Cash, and I've completely stopped using any of our 1% or 1.5% cards.

So Citi probably actually makes more per cardholder on the DC than on some of their other cards.  And also, as mentioned above...there are sooooo many people out there who get suckered in by the rewards and then don't or can't PIF, and end up paying tons of interest.  A lot of people have good intentions but then can't follow through.

Chase Sapphire Reserve $30,000 | Amex BCP $30,000 | Discover It $30,000 | Citi Simp $16,500 | NFCU Cash Rewards $14,400 | Citi DC $9,800 | Chase Freedom $9,000 | VS $4,100 | Kohl's $3,000 | Loft $3,000

EQ 823 ~ TU 817 ~ EXP 808 | ITG since 8/24/2016
Message 9 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

One of the reasons some have doubts is simply historical: all other no AF 2% Visa or MasterCard products were nerfed. Others argue that the DC is sufficiently different to stay around for a long time.

Either way, odds are that even if it is nerfed you can still keep it just like people got to keep their 5x TYP forward cards.
Message 10 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.