Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for 2nd credit card...Need opinions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for 2nd credit card...Need opinions

First, OP cannot do any of the CC pre-qualifications because you have to be over 21 for them to work.

Second, how recent was that late payment and is it reported to all 3 bureaus? And was it just a 30 day?

Third, the scores you mentioned are they true fico's or fako's from places like credit karma? If they are not true fico's, pull all three scores from CCT and report back with them. It'll cost $1 and then you can cancel.

Fourth, what is your major spend category (dining out, gas, etc)? Are you a student?

We can make recommendations all day long, but if you give us some specific information, many folks smarter than me can help you pinpoint some decent cards that are not predatory and can grow with you.
Message 11 of 14
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, I'm a new guy around here and was looking for some opinions! I currently have one credit card through my local credit union (Visa Platinum) that I've had since I turned 18 in Feb.of 2015. Currently 19 and looking to add a 2nd card to the mix for personal reasons (plus more credit building). Current score (depending on bureau) is around 591-610. I do have 1 missed payment on my credit report from Matco tools, nothing over 30 days, Visa Plat. is PIF 90% of the time. Should I look into the secured card route? I was shying away from it since my current card is not, didn't really see a point in getting one. I have looked into Credit One Bank a time or 2, what drew me to them is how willing they are to do a CLI, whereas my current bank refuses to budge off of my original $500 limit that was put in place over a year ago. I have, however, read very mixed reviews about them as well. What route would you all suggest in thie case? Thank you!

I'd pay down your current CC to <10% balance and let reporting update.   Then see what scores you move into.   It sounds like you have a short history plus the late and the maxed out CL that are dragging your scores a bit.

Is Matco tools reporting as a retail card?   Was it just one late payment?

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 12 of 14
RonM21
Valued Contributor

That's a good suggestion in any situation. Get you utilization down, then see where you stand.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 13 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, I'm a new guy around here and was looking for some opinions! I currently have one credit card through my local credit union (Visa Platinum) that I've had since I turned 18 in Feb.of 2015. Currently 19 and looking to add a 2nd card to the mix for personal reasons (plus more credit building). Current score (depending on bureau) is around 591-610. I do have 1 missed payment on my credit report from Matco tools, nothing over 30 days, Visa Plat. is PIF 90% of the time. Should I look into the secured card route? I was shying away from it since my current card is not, didn't really see a point in getting one. I have looked into Credit One Bank a time or 2, what drew me to them is how willing they are to do a CLI, whereas my current bank refuses to budge off of my original $500 limit that was put in place over a year ago. I have, however, read very mixed reviews about them as well. What route would you all suggest in thie case? Thank you!

Don't get a secured card.

Don't get a Credit One, or other vulture type, card.

Try for a Capital One Platinum card. If you don't get approved, then hold off for 6 months until your scores have risen.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.