Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Airlines Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for Airlines Card

That annual fee is pretty hefty, yes. I would do one of two things. Cancel the card before the AF hits or keep it and pay the outrageous amount. The list of benefits that the prestige offers may outweight the AF dont you think?

Message 11 of 48
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Freedom/CSP is not a bad way to go especially in a city like Omaha. Unless you're very loyal to one particular airline, airline specific cards probably aren't as good as UR.

And I know you aren't really looking at it but cards like Centure and Arrival + are really just cash back cards marketed as travel rewards cards.
Message 12 of 48
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That annual fee is pretty hefty, yes. I would do one of two things. Cancel the card before the AF hits or keep it and pay the outrageous amount. The list of benefits that the prestige offers may outweight the AF dont you think?

I think PRG and EDP would be better than Prestige in this case...you'd get 72k MR alone a year from PRG 3x on airfare

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 13 of 48
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

i am presetnly using EDP CSP combo for almost all my purchases. Freedom is getting some major play this year so far for their 5x catergories. If you can hit the 30 swipe spend bonus on EDP i think it can cover almost anything. It covers the big categories of groceries, dining, travel and gas. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 14 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not partial to any specific airline. Flying delta the most recently mainly because I used skymiles to book.

I had not looked at the AMEX EDP. i still keep coming back to CSP since UR points will be most compatible with one another.

The AF on prestige could be offset with the golf perks that it has. 😄

I need to look at the EDP some more. I never did get the chance to maximize on MR when I had PRG previously.
Message 15 of 48
WillTeasle
Established Contributor

I really like my Freedom/CSP combo.  Since you've already got the Freedom it would be a good choice (especially if you have any UR points already banked on the freedom).  So put me down as another vote for that option.

Having said that, I just added the Prestige to my wallet, so clearly I think it's a worthwhile card as well.  Not sure how long I'll hold on to it though, but the CSP will stay in my wallet for a long time.

Since you don't favor a particular airline, a transferrable points program is definitely the best way to go.  It will protect you somewhat from the inevitable devaluations.  Personally, I like the Chase transfer options more than Amex.  Citi TYP transfer options I like even less, but I'm hoping they'll add AA at some point in the future.

With any of these options you'll likely be happy.  But having the Freedom offers you the opportunity to power-earn when coupled with CSP.  Good luck with your decision.

Last HP: 01/10/19 | Latest Scores: EQ FICO8 - 850 | TU FICO8 - 850 | EX FICO8 - 850
Amex BC | Amex HHonors | Amex HHonors Aspire | Amex Marriott Business | Amex Platinum | BoA Alaska Airlines | CF | CFU | CSR | Chase Ink+ | Citi DC | Citi AA UP | Discover IT
Message 16 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only have about 8400 UR points as of now. 

Does the AF get charged for the Prestige right away? Sorry if that is an odd question, haven't had a card with an AF for quite a while. 

Based on your last comment of hoping AA adds transfer options to Citi TYP points, I may be leaning still more towards the CSP. Thanks for your input!!

Message 17 of 48
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

I personally prefer the AMEX PRG.  Until recently, I never favored an airline specific card because of the limited flexibility.  I would say that I was more price sensitive with no degree of loyalty to any particular airline.  I lived in a United hub city (Chicago) - and even with the ongoing Chase bonus promotions, I would never sign up.  On a personal note, I have never been a fan of United - planes are always late, service is terrible and in my opinion their product is inferior.  And too as a relatively tall guy, I was always stuck on a United Express flight.

Now that I live in a Delta city, I did breakdown and get the AMEX DL SkyMiles Gold card.  The card more than pays for itself with the money that I save on bag fees as well as access to priority boarding and discounted Wi-Fi and onboard purchases. 

I also have the Citi Prestige.  Like many, I have the card because it is a nice looking card.  LOL.  But seriously, I take full advantage of the $250 annual airfare credit coupled with Global Entry so it makes the annual fee reasonable.  

Message 18 of 48
WillTeasle
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I only have about 8400 UR points as of now. 

Which without the CSP are only worth $84.  With CSP, you can transfer to obtain better value.  For one example (since you said you fly mostly domestic and are near OMA), one great transfer partner is British Airways Avios.  They have a distance-based award chart and the sweet spot is short-haul flights (<1,152 miles).  For flights within 650 miles of your origin, it will only require 4,500 Avios for peak periods (or 4,000 Avios off-peak) one-way.  Assuming you are booking during peak times, you are 600 UR points short of a round-trip ticket to anywhere in the following circle (not bad, IMO):

@Anonymous wrote:

Does the AF get charged for the Prestige right away? Sorry if that is an odd question, haven't had a card with an AF for quite a while. 

I was approved for the Prestige just yesterday, so I am not sure exactly when the AF posts.  It is not waived the first year, so it will post sometime on or before the first statement cut date.

@Anonymous wrote:

Based on your last comment of hoping AA adds transfer options to Citi TYP points, I may be leaning still more towards the CSP. Thanks for your input!!

Even without AA as a transfer partner, the TYP can still be used to purchase AA tickets at a valuation of 1.6cpp.  Those tickets are considered revenue tickets, so will be able to earn mileage in the AAdvantage program.  While not bad value, it doesn't make redeeming tickets at the front of the plane overly lucrative.  For domestic economy tickets it might be a good deal, but it's unlikely to be a good idea for international premium tickets (unless there is a mistake fare or a great limited time offer).

Last HP: 01/10/19 | Latest Scores: EQ FICO8 - 850 | TU FICO8 - 850 | EX FICO8 - 850
Amex BC | Amex HHonors | Amex HHonors Aspire | Amex Marriott Business | Amex Platinum | BoA Alaska Airlines | CF | CFU | CSR | Chase Ink+ | Citi DC | Citi AA UP | Discover IT
Message 19 of 48
FrancoB
Valued Member

Get that CSP going, that's a great combo and you'll get 45K UR to start (Bonus+Authorized user) then yoiu can transfer to United and even better to British Airways where you can book US AA flights with Avios using their distance based chart.

The Citi Prestige card has nice benefits too, I'd get both the prestige and the csp. The fee isn't that much don't forget that you get $250 credit for airline spending including airfare. so that takes it down to $200. Plus the first year you can use the credit 2 times making the card $50 in your favor with that benefit alone. You also get priority pass select worth $399. And right now Citi is offering a 50k Sing up bonus on the prestige. http://thepointsguy.com/2015/04/50000-points-citi-prestige-limited-time-offer/

This card will get you acces to AA Admirals club and United Club (Priority pass select) and many more when you fly.

The not so great part of the Thank You program is that the transfer partners are not that great, still offers a lot of value and thwey will likely add more.

Both the Prestige and CSP are nice looking metalic cards!

I personally don't have the Citi prestige just yet as I'm hiting the spending for the Citi AA bonus nthis month and I will take advantage of that 50k bonus on prestige next month!

The AA barclay card is good too since it gets you 3 miles per dollar on AA flights, but you are too late for that one.

Amex Gold Premier Rewards, Amex Platinum, Amex EveryDay Preferred 7k, Chase Freedom unlimited 18.2k, Chase Freedom 7k, Chase United Club 12.5k, Barclay Apple Rewards 10k, Barclay Aviator Silver 5.5k, Discover IT 9.5k, Capital One Quicksilver 3.25k, Kohl's 700, Citi AAdvantage Platinum 7k, Citi Prestige 13k, Citi Hilton Honors 15k, Amex Hilton Honoros 1k, Chase IHG 6k, Chase Sapphire Reserve 30k
Message 20 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.