Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Airlines Card

tag
WillTeasle
Established Contributor

Re: Looking for Airlines Card

@FrancoB wrote:

Get that CSP going, that's a great combo and you'll get 45K UR to start (Bonus+Authorized user) then yoiu can transfer to United and even better to British Airways where you can book US AA flights with Avios using their distance based chart.

The Citi Prestige card has nice benefits too, I'd get both the prestige and the csp. The fee isn't that much don't forget that you get $250 credit for airline spending including airfare. so that takes it down to $200. Plus the first year you can use the credit 2 times making the card $50 in your favor with that benefit alone. You also get priority pass select worth $399. And right now Citi is offering a 50k Sing up bonus on the prestige. http://thepointsguy.com/2015/04/50000-points-citi-prestige-limited-time-offer/

This card will get you acces to AA Admirals club and United Club (Priority pass select) and many more when you fly.

The not so great part of the Thank You program is that the transfer partners are not that great, still offers a lot of value and thwey will likely add more.

Both the Prestige and CSP are nice looking metalic cards!

I personally don't have the Citi prestige just yet as I'm hiting the spending for the Citi AA bonus nthis month and I will take advantage of that 50k bonus on prestige next month!

The AA barclay card is good too since it gets you 3 miles per dollar on AA flights, but you are too late for that one.

Incorrect.  United Club does not admit Priority Pass members who obtained their membership through a credit card.  This severly limits the utility of PP as a benefit of CCs that offer it.

Last HP: 01/10/19 | Latest Scores: EQ FICO8 - 850 | TU FICO8 - 850 | EX FICO8 - 850
Amex BC | Amex HHonors | Amex HHonors Aspire | Amex Marriott Business | Amex Platinum | BoA Alaska Airlines | CF | CFU | CSR | Chase Ink+ | Citi DC | Citi AA UP | Discover IT
Message 21 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

That doesn't get me to Toronto though Smiley Happy Still not thrilled about the initial cost of the AF...I am sure I would get over it with the benefits in no time though. 

Now I dont know which to choose, maybe both? I can really take advantage of the CSP/Freedom combo and then use the Prestige for the additional travel benefits. The 50k points for 3k spending is great from the Prestige and is definitely manageable, but the CSP 40k points for 4k spending on top of that in the same 3 months might be too much to handle. 

Edit: evidently I do not know how to quote other people, sorry if this post isn't in line. Intending to reply to WillTeasle

Message 22 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if I were to apply for both, should I apply for a specific one first? I am also somewhat nervous about what the CL would be. I know both CSP and Prestige would be at least 5k since they are visa signatures, correct? I can give more details on profile and history or anything if needed. 

Message 23 of 48
WillTeasle
Established Contributor

While 4,500 Avios wouldn't get you to Toronto, you can get there with either 7,500 Avios during peak times or 6,500 Avios off-peak (both are one-way tickets purchased AFTER 4/28/15 if I'm not mistaken).  This is the 6,500 (off-peak) / 7,500 (peak) reward range from OMA (all in economy):

@Anonymous wrote:

So if I were to apply for both, should I apply for a specific one first? I am also somewhat nervous about what the CL would be. I know both CSP and Prestige would be at least 5k since they are visa signatures, correct? I can give more details on profile and history or anything if needed. 

Tough question.  If I were you and I definitely wanted both, I'd get the Prestige first and CSP second.  The only reason for this is that the CSP will likely have a 50k UR sign-up bonus sometime in the future (within 6 months I'd guess).  CSP has had that increased bonus before, and it's likely it will return.  This assumes that you don't have an immediate need for those 40k UR points.  If you have a need for them in the next 2 months, I'd definitely go CSP first.  While not an apples to apples comparison, I still personally think the CSP is a better value so I would definitely take that one first if not for the limited time increase in the Prestige sign-up bonus.

Minimum SL for both cards should be $5k.  CSP is Visa Signature and Presitge is World Elite MC.

Last HP: 01/10/19 | Latest Scores: EQ FICO8 - 850 | TU FICO8 - 850 | EX FICO8 - 850
Amex BC | Amex HHonors | Amex HHonors Aspire | Amex Marriott Business | Amex Platinum | BoA Alaska Airlines | CF | CFU | CSR | Chase Ink+ | Citi DC | Citi AA UP | Discover IT
Message 24 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WillTeasle wrote:

@FrancoB wrote:

Get that CSP going, that's a great combo and you'll get 45K UR to start (Bonus+Authorized user) then yoiu can transfer to United and even better to British Airways where you can book US AA flights with Avios using their distance based chart.

The Citi Prestige card has nice benefits too, I'd get both the prestige and the csp. The fee isn't that much don't forget that you get $250 credit for airline spending including airfare. so that takes it down to $200. Plus the first year you can use the credit 2 times making the card $50 in your favor with that benefit alone. You also get priority pass select worth $399. And right now Citi is offering a 50k Sing up bonus on the prestige. http://thepointsguy.com/2015/04/50000-points-citi-prestige-limited-time-offer/

This card will get you acces to AA Admirals club and United Club (Priority pass select) and many more when you fly.

The not so great part of the Thank You program is that the transfer partners are not that great, still offers a lot of value and thwey will likely add more.

I personally don't have the Citi prestige just yet as I'm hiting the spending for the Citi AA bonus nthis month and I will take advantage of that 50k bonus on prestige next month!

The AA barclay card is good too since it gets you 3 miles per dollar on AA flights, but you are too late for that one.

Incorrect.  United Club does not admit Priority Pass members who obtained their membership through a credit card.  This severly limits the utility of PP as a benefit of CCs that offer it.

Are you sure about that because if you look at the priority pass listing of lounges in the US, it shows the club available at several airports as being the United Club

Message 25 of 48
WillTeasle
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@WillTeasle wrote:

@FrancoB wrote:

Are you sure about that because if you look at the priority pass listing of lounges in the US, it shows the club available at several airports as being the United Club

Pretty sure, though I've never tried myself.

If you check the priority pass website, search the airport of interest and then select a united club, you should see this text:

"Note: Members holding a Priority Pass Select membership card and Priority Pass cardholders in the U.S. that receive their membership through a U.S. financial institution will not be allowed access to this Lounge."

Given that the Citi Prestige offers "Priority Pass Select" AND that it is from a financial institution (Citi), it seems highly unlikely that you'll get in.  Again, never tried myself and have not checked every United Club out there to see if this note is listed.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Admirals club access is only granted when flying on AA/US.

Message 26 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WillTeasle wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@WillTeasle wrote:

@FrancoB wrote:

If you check the priority pass website, search the airport of interest and then select a united club, you should see this text:

"Note: Members holding a Priority Pass Select membership card and Priority Pass cardholders in the U.S. that receive their membership through a U.S. financial institution will not be allowed access to this Lounge."

Given that the Citi Prestige offers "Priority Pass Select" AND that it is from a financial institution (Citi), it seems highly unlikely that you'll get in.  Again, never tried myself and have not checked every United Club out there to see if this note is listed.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Admirals club access is only granted when flying on AA/US.

Ok I do see that disclaimer.  Well what does a priority pass allow access to then?  And you're right about the Admiral Clubs

Message 27 of 48
dilettante
Established Contributor

@WillTeasle wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@WillTeasle wrote:

@FrancoB wrote:

You are correct, the UA Clubs only come with full PP membership, Citi and Amex Plat only provide PP Select which excludes UA Clubs.  You are also correct about Admirals Club - you have to have AA/US tickets to get lounge access.

Message 28 of 48
WillTeasle
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@WillTeasle wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@WillTeasle wrote:

@FrancoB wrote:

Ok I do see that disclaimer.  Well what does a priority pass allow access to then?  And you're right about the Admiral Clubs

Alaska Board Rooms?  I dunno.  I haven't really looked into it that much.  Given I tend to fly out of ORD or MDW, my only lounges available are United Club and I didn't think I'd have access.  Priority Pass wasn't even a consideration for me when I apped for this card.  Personally, I'll get zero utility from it.

Message 29 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WillTeasle wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@WillTeasle wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@WillTeasle wrote:

@FrancoB wrote:

Alaska Board Rooms?  I dunno.  I haven't really looked into it that much.  Given I tend to fly out of ORD or MDW, my only lounges available are United Club and I didn't think I'd have access.  Priority Pass wasn't even a consideration for me when I apped for this card.  Personally, I'll get zero utility from it.

I just looked at the Amex Platinum benefits page and the lounges listed there Delta and Airspace lounges

Message 30 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.