Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for New Cards...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking for New Cards...

Hey everyone,

This is my situation right now.  I have a Chase Freedom ($5500), Discover It ($2000), Paypal Credit ($5000) and an authorized user of a Chase Disney Visa ($3500). I am at around 10% Utilization overall with a TU score of 756. My immediate goal is to get a new card that has a 0% intro purchase APR as I am planning to get a few certifications under my belt this year but need some time to pay it off. An easy choice would be a card like the Citi Diamond Preferred Card with its long intro APR but I don't like applying for cards that are only good for their intro offers which is the case for the Diamond Preferred. I like cards that I don't forsee closing in the future.

I would like this immediate goal to satisfy my other goal that from what I gather from my previous purchases (mostly dining and shopping) and what cards I have now, I am also looking for a card (could be the same card as the 0% interest or different) that will give me a flat rate cash back when my Chase Freedom and Discover It does not match up to my spending habits to maximize my rewards. Or maybe I am looking at this all wrong which I would like some advice at what you would recommend I do.

My long long term goal is to get a card for travel which I am looking at the Chase Sapphire or the Barclay Arrival Plus World Elite.

tldr: Looking for a card or cards that has flat rate cash back and/or 0% interest that caters to my spending habits (dining and shopping) and cards that I have currently (Chase Freedom, Discover It, Paypal Credit, and Chase Disney).

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for New Cards...

Based on what you indicated, you are looking for a 0% intro APR on purchases and you want to earn cash back? The Chase Freedom Unlimited offers 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months all while earning 1.5% cash back on purchases. Another benefit is that once the 0% expires, you could PC the card to the Sapphire Preferred, but you would not get any bonus points as it is an existing account. 

As far as travel cards...some people here (obviously) rave about them. I am not a huge traveler so they do not make sense to me. I have a Venture One only because Capital One forced the upgrade; however, in my humble opinion, these travel cards are only worth while for their sign up bonuses and decrease in value after the first year. Capital One Venture and its copycat the Arrival + are great the first year due to the sign up bonus; but after the first year they have annual fees and at 2% rewards (Arrival + I believe has redemption bonuses on top of the 2% but also has a higher annual fee than Capital One Venture) you would be better off getting a 2% cash back card like Citi Double Cash. You can always downgrade to Venture One or Arrival after the first year to avoid the annual fee, but the rewards aren't as good. 

I am sure others can offer you better advice regarding the travel cards, but I wanted to give my $0.02.

Message 2 of 4
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP, have you called Discover? See if they can give you a promotional 0% APR on purchases for 12 months. Look on-line on the account to see if you can get a SP CLI approved.

The BofA Cash Rewards, or Better Balance Rewards, may be an option.

The Citi Diamond Preferred could be PC'd into another card after the first year, or just start out with the Double Cash.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 4
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey everyone,

This is my situation right now.  I have a Chase Freedom ($5500), Discover It ($2000), Paypal Credit ($5000) and an authorized user of a Chase Disney Visa ($3500). I am at around 10% Utilization overall with a TU score of 756. My immediate goal is to get a new card that has a 0% intro purchase APR as I am planning to get a few certifications under my belt this year but need some time to pay it off. An easy choice would be a card like the Citi Diamond Preferred Card with its long intro APR but I don't like applying for cards that are only good for their intro offers which is the case for the Diamond Preferred. I like cards that I don't forsee closing in the future.

I would like this immediate goal to satisfy my other goal that from what I gather from my previous purchases (mostly dining and shopping) and what cards I have now, I am also looking for a card (could be the same card as the 0% interest or different) that will give me a flat rate cash back when my Chase Freedom and Discover It does not match up to my spending habits to maximize my rewards. Or maybe I am looking at this all wrong which I would like some advice at what you would recommend I do.

My long long term goal is to get a card for travel which I am looking at the Chase Sapphire or the Barclay Arrival Plus World Elite.

tldr: Looking for a card or cards that has flat rate cash back and/or 0% interest that caters to my spending habits (dining and shopping) and cards that I have currently (Chase Freedom, Discover It, Paypal Credit, and Chase Disney).

I would suggest the Barclays Ring card, which has a 15-month 0% introductory offer, and which on a long term permanent basis has no balance transfer fees, only a $3 cash advance fee,  a decent interest rate applicable to cash advances, no foreign transaction fees, and no annual fee.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.